• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Thor #193
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hey there, picked up a nice copy today for my personal collection, wanted to see what you all thought. It's my first square bound book so I was a bit panicked about the staples creating an outline on the front cover, but from what I've read, that seems to have no affect on these grade of those. Any insight would be much appreciated. I would plan on pressing it if it could get it high enough.  Thanks!

EPSON066.jpg

EPSON067.jpg

20230828_152500.jpg

20230828_152719.jpg

20230828_152725.jpg

20230828_152727.jpg

20230828_152731.jpg

20230828_152734.jpg

It is incorrect to say that staple impressions have no effect on the grade. With a square bound book, it is taken into account that the binding creates the defect, so it is not penalized nearly as much as the same thing on a standard binding. These impressions seem mild, and I don't see any ink loss, which sometimes happens when these raised areas rub against other surfaces. In this case, it looks like there's an actual hole/tear in the binding unrelated to the staples. It looks to me like all the paper is still present? If so, 8.5/9.0

On 8/28/2023 at 8:47 PM, scburdet said:

It is incorrect to say that staple impressions have no effect on the grade. With a square bound book, it is taken into account that the binding creates the defect, so it is not penalized nearly as much as the same thing on a standard binding. These impressions seem mild, and I don't see any ink loss, which sometimes happens when these raised areas rub against other surfaces. In this case, it looks like there's an actual hole/tear in the binding unrelated to the staples. It looks to me like all the paper is still present? If so, 8.5/9.0

I appreciate the response! That totally makes sense about the staples. I mostly just meant that the fact that they raise the cover and can create an unsmooth surface shouldn't affect grading. But if they poke through or cause color loss then it absolutely would. And there is a small tear on the spine but the paper is all still there. It just got kind of bunched up.