• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know how to get approximate value on a CGC graded golden age comic that has never come to market?

4 posts in this topic

A CGC 3.5 Young Romance #1 sold on ebay a couple of days ago for $1400. I know this question is subjective, but- How would you figure the approximate value a CGC graded 5.5 of the same issue. I checked GPAnalysis and it appears that a 5.5 has never come to market. Thanks in advance for your replies.

On 8/29/2023 at 4:02 PM, M-F0uRce99 said:

A CGC 3.5 Young Romance #1 sold on ebay a couple of days ago for $1400. I know this question is subjective, but- How would you figure the approximate value a CGC graded 5.5 of the same issue. I checked GPAnalysis and it appears that a 5.5 has never come to market. Thanks in advance for your replies.

The easiest way is to calculate the price per point of the actual sale and then extrapolate for your copy. So 1400/3.5 = 400. 400 x 5.5 = $2200. You can adjust upwards or downwards then based on page quality or eye appeal, etc. Price per point works okay for the low to mid grades. Higher grade books tend to have more of a premium as they are rarer. You can also take a look at the census and see how rare a 5.5 is. If 5.5 is the highest grade for the book, you can get away with more of a premium. Hope that helps.

Young Romance #1

You can't always trust eBay sales as a reliable indicator of a book's value. That was a buy-it-now price, not an auction, which means it only took one bidder to pull the trigger and buy the book. It's difficult to predict what it would have sold for at auction.

Three much nicer copies sold of that book sold on Heritage in 2021:

The pedigree Promise Collection copy sold in 7.0 for $2,400 (and people were paying a huge premium for that pedigree at the time).

An 8.0 copy sold for $2,640.

An 8.5 sold for $3,360.

The kicker is that five months ago a 9.4 copy sold for $28,800, which was a bizarre price; I don't think many people expected that result. Now people are seeing that price in GPA and pricing lower-graded copies higher. If you want to sell, now is probably the time to do it. I don't think the bump that books are getting from that 9.4 sale will last forever.

Edited by jimbo_7071