• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A discussion on Artificial Intelligence and how it's going to affect our industry.
3 3

255 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2023 at 11:50 AM, namisgr said:

The computational brain has even further complexity.  For one thing, information processing takes place between computational units that aren't hardwired, but rewire themselves based on experience and activity.   More complexity comes from the passive and active electrical properties of the neuron, which expands their signaling way beyond the binary. 

- A Natterer About Neuroscience

Welllll, if it is quantifiable (and it's science, right?) then it can be expressed in binary.

- Captain Math

I've given it more thought and I've decided that this topic is too "the sky is falling" for me.

There are hundreds of ways to prepare beef. Fast food hamburger is #1... no creativity.

What's that you're eating in that bowl? Rice? Noodles?  Wow, that's incredible variety.

Every year, new designs for clothing are showcased on runways.  But T-shirts, hoodies, sweatshirts, polos, and dress shirts/blouses are 99% of what people wear... no creativity.

Thousands of home designs exist, but most neighborhoods/apartments offer about five floorplans... no creativity.

That covers food, clothing, and shelter... actual necessities for life.

There's little or no creativity whatsoever in what's necessary for the survival of billions of people. 

A.I. wasn't even needed. We did it to ourselves.

What was this topic about again? How does it matter more than food, clothing, or shelter?

Edited by valiantman

On 9/10/2023 at 10:38 PM, ttfitz said:

I don't think these are mutually exclusive, and I kinda agree with both - yes, the direct market likely saved the comics industry, but in the long run it probably has become a bad thing for it.

Sure, comics not being available everywhere doesn't help the industry, but the comparison that was made still isn't valid. Publishers didn't choose to make comics less available, retailers and distributors did.

On 9/11/2023 at 11:50 AM, namisgr said:
On 9/10/2023 at 11:19 PM, ttfitz said:

Wellllllll, actual there is - except it is expressed as "0.1"

Signed,
The Pedantic Computer Science Major

The computational brain has even further complexity.  For one thing, information processing takes place between computational units that aren't hardwired, but rewire themselves based on experience and activity.   More complexity comes from the passive and active electrical properties of the neuron, which expands their signaling way beyond the binary. 

- A Natterer About Neuroscience

I saw this coming in the mid 90's when they started using databus systems in the automotive industry to keep track of driver preferences.

That was 30 years ago. 

It was inevitable and became obvious when they started speeding things up and having machines communicate with each other that they'd eventually speed up, meld together and increase in "intelligence".

Trickle down effect.

It came in on the highest end cars (from aerospace and military tech), trickled into the mid range cars and now its been in everyday cars for years. 

Only a matter of time before it's in our bodies. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/11/2023 at 7:17 PM, VintageComics said:

Only a matter of time before it's in our bodies. 

Brain machine interfaces have been in human use since the 1970s, for instance to augment hearing after partial hearing loss:

As of 2019, cochlear implants had been implanted as a neuroprosthetic device in approximately 220,000 people worldwide.

"A cochlear implant (CI) is a surgically implanted neuroprosthesis that provides a person who has moderate-to-profound sensorineural hearing loss with sound perception.  With the help of therapy, cochlear implants may allow for improved speech understanding in both quiet and noisy environments. A CI bypasses acoustic hearing by direct electrical stimulation of the auditory nerve. Through everyday listening and auditory training, cochlear implants allow both children and adults to learn to interpret those signals as speech and sound.

The implant has two main components. The outside component is generally worn behind the ear, but could also be attached to clothing, for example, in young children. This component, the sound processor, contains microphones, electronics that include digital signal processor chips, battery, and a coil that transmits a signal to the implant across the skin. The inside component, the actual implant, has a coil to receive signals, electronics, and an array of electrodes which is placed into the cochlea, which stimulate the cochlear nerve.

The surgical procedure is performed under general anesthesia.  Surgical risks are minimal and most individuals will undergo outpatient  surgery and go home the same day." 

Edited by namisgr

On 9/11/2023 at 7:54 PM, namisgr said:

I guess you don't know that brain machine interfaces have been in use for decades now, for instance to augment hearing after partial hearing loss:

As of December 2010, cochlear implants had been implanted as neuroprosthetic device in approximately 220,000 people worldwide.

You mean hearing aids? lol

Yes, my grandmother had one as I was growing up so well aware of it. 

------------

I meant AI.

Artificial Intelligence will soon by in the body and making independent decisions in a far greater fashion than just binary language like turning a pacemaker on and off and those units will be interacting with things outside the body. 

It's most likely here already as people like Alex Jones who has been written off by post have been talking about it for decades openly but nobody listened or cared because it just hasn't trickled into everyday society yet...but like the automotive industry, it most likely will. 

On the bright side, we'll be able to download comics wireless, so there's that. lol

image.thumb.jpeg.90ba931bb9e01ba5e19eaa06eba2443f.jpeg

On 9/10/2023 at 4:45 AM, comicwiz said:

How does AI resolve the royalties and rights managed areas of stock image use? AI simply borrows and does some heavy lifting of images belonging to others, it may remove metadata, making it more difficult for software uses by company's like Getty to locate them in their reiterated form, but AI doesn't just magically lift away the problem with stock image companies, photographers, and other copyright owners coming after any commercial use without permission or license. If anything, the lawsuits will pile up in the same way they did early on when Google came out with their image search, and people thought, oh look, how cool that I can use this image Google helped me find, and which I can use on my website, only to later find out that the image required permission and licensed use, and a lawsuit is pending if you don't pay the penalty for misuse and infringement.

as you probably know, midjourney and the other AI image making apps create entirely new images based on their visual training data which is everything on the internet. just put in my name or any other known artist in midjourney and give some prompts that include 'in the style of' and you'll get an array of derivative but not stolen images. so, its more than stock imagery that the AI are threatening. its working artists and illustrators, yes, some people are suing but it seems unlikely that some lawsuits can stop the direction of things. paying to use stock imagery or hiring an illustrator will probably become superfluous once the AI is a bit better and easier to use.

On 9/11/2023 at 7:54 PM, namisgr said:

Brain machine interfaces have been in human use since the 1970s, for instance to augment hearing after partial hearing loss:

As of 2019, cochlear implants had been implanted as a neuroprosthetic device in approximately 220,000 people worldwide.

"A cochlear implant (CI) is a surgically implanted neuroprosthesis that provides a person who has moderate-to-profound sensorineural hearing loss with sound perception.  With the help of therapy, cochlear implants may allow for improved speech understanding in both quiet and noisy environments. A CI bypasses acoustic hearing by direct electrical stimulation of the auditory nerve. Through everyday listening and auditory training, cochlear implants allow both children and adults to learn to interpret those signals as speech and sound.

The implant has two main components. The outside component is generally worn behind the ear, but could also be attached to clothing, for example, in young children. This component, the sound processor, contains microphones, electronics that include digital signal processor chips, battery, and a coil that transmits a signal to the implant across the skin. The inside component, the actual implant, has a coil to receive signals, electronics, and an array of electrodes which is placed into the cochlea, which stimulate the cochlear nerve.

The surgical procedure is performed under general anesthesia.  Surgical risks are minimal and most individuals will undergo outpatient  surgery and go home the same day." 

You likely already read this piece.

New Clinical Approaches Expand the Benefits of Cochlear Implants for More Patients

https://nyulangone.org/news/new-clinical-approaches-expand-benefits-cochlear-implants-more-patients

Doesn't the current state of digital art allow someone with C- physical illustrating skills to create something that looks professional even without an AI boost? I guess AI may make it all quicker if used properly and may save a lot of time on more mundane stuff like backgrounds.

On 9/11/2023 at 9:58 PM, alexgross.com said:

as you probably know, midjourney and the other AI image making apps create entirely new images based on their visual training data which is everything on the internet. just put in my name or any other known artist in midjourney and give some prompts that include 'in the style of' and you'll get an array of derivative but not stolen images. so, its more than stock imagery that the AI are threatening. its working artists and illustrators, yes, some people are suing but it seems unlikely that some lawsuits can stop the direction of things. paying to use stock imagery or hiring an illustrator will probably become superfluous once the AI is a bit better and easier to use.

and once you eliminate the human element I think the industry is dead, folks stop reading and buying it, the few that are left doing that now (ok, i shouldn't say that, the number of people reading digital copies of some of this stuff might be huge)

Talking about AI and its effects on society, this reminds me of an episode of a television anthology series similar to the Twilight Zone, but which I cannot remember the name of.

Set in the future, a young woman was chatting online with another person and she discovered that he was a real person and not an AI generated whatever. She got out of her house to go meet him and if I remember correctly, the show inferred that they were the last two humans. The neighborhood where she lived was well kept with lawns mowed etc. but it was all done by robots. So here was human civilization with no humans, or nearly none. This was quite a long time ago that I watched this episode, but it always stuck with me a possible future, and now even more so with talks of population declines. I guess if there's no people to do the jobs, then we will have to have our AI driven machines do them. 

On 9/12/2023 at 3:07 PM, ThreeSeas said:

Talking about AI and its effects on society, this reminds me of an episode of a television anthology series similar to the Twilight Zone, but which I cannot remember the name of.

Set in the future, a young woman was chatting online with another person and she discovered that he was a real person and not an AI generated whatever. She got out of her house to go meet him and if I remember correctly, the show inferred that they were the last two humans. The neighborhood where she lived was well kept with lawns mowed etc. but it was all done by robots. So here was human civilization with no humans, or nearly none. This was quite a long time ago that I watched this episode, but it always stuck with me a possible future, and now even more so with talks of population declines. I guess if there's no people to do the jobs, then we will have to have our AI driven machines do them. 

I would love to see that if anyone knows what it is.

I really enjoyed the Alex and Ada comic series in 2013. This makes me want to go read it again

On 9/11/2023 at 6:58 PM, alexgross.com said:

midjourney and the other AI image making apps create entirely new images based on their visual training data which is everything on the internet. just put in my name or any other known artist in midjourney and give some prompts that include 'in the style of' and you'll get an array of derivative but not stolen images. so, its more than stock imagery that the AI are threatening. its working artists and illustrators, paying to use stock imagery or hiring an illustrator will probably become superfluous once the AI is a bit better and easier to use.

Free Comic Factory AI generates graphic novel in the 'Marvel Method.' Writer/u give a synopsis to the artist/A.I. who generates the layouts and computer art panels. U select the layout pattern u want for your comic and u, the writer, fills in the -script of the dialogue balloons.

On 9/12/2023 at 7:28 AM, the blob said:

Doesn't the current state of digital art allow someone with C- physical illustrating skills to create something that looks professional even without an AI boost? I guess AI may make it all quicker if used properly and may save a lot of time on more mundane stuff like backgrounds.

Calculators allow someone with C- math skills to correctly determine that 345 times 678 is 233,910, and the square root of 233,910 is 483.64243. What happened to all those hard-working professionals who had to do those kinds of calculations by hand? They lost their jobs. No one does math anymore. It's impossible to come up with anything new in math because calculators took 'er jerbs.

On 9/12/2023 at 5:28 AM, the blob said:

if you're talking pre-AI, not really. learning illustrator, photoshop or other 2d design apps, and then making something that looks nice still takes some work and a good design sense. it requires less traditional skill like life drawing, but your gramma can't just watch a few videos and then make something cool using illustrator or procreate. AI changes everything. now she can indeed if she knows the right prompts and references. 

On 9/13/2023 at 10:37 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

I wonder if there will be any AI grading of collectibles? I could see sports cards and coins because they have to just scan just 2 sides, but for comic books, it might be a challenge to open up the comic and look at every page, plus count pages.

I doubt it.  It could happen, but the hobby is more likely to die off before it does.  :sorry:

On 9/11/2023 at 2:09 PM, valiantman said:

A.I. wasn't even needed. We did it to ourselves.

This is what I think as well. If the human race needs to develop a computer to do the thinking for us and do it faster, doesn't that say a lot about how we've lost the handle on managing ourselves as a species?