• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember the days when people paid huge money for old comic books?
2 2

232 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2023 at 1:13 PM, Robot Man said:

It all depends on the movies and how the comic book market progresses. I would go out on a limb and say flatter. But I have been wrong as long as I have collected. And I probably won’t be around in 20-30 years to find out...

I think 20 years is too short of a time frame, but I think it will get much flatter over the next 40 years. Buying comics off the rack and having them be a significant part of the average boy's childhood was a moment in time. Once the Boomers and Gen-Xers are, gone, comics will fade. The oldest Gen X-ers are just starting to become empty nesters with a decent amount of discretionary income, though, so comics still have some good years left.

On 9/5/2023 at 12:02 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Back in 1967, I didn’t have $25.  Hourly wage was $1.40 per hour.☹️

$25 for a comic in 1967 seems really pricey to me.

Just imagine how many copies of AF 15 you could've bought for $25! 

On 9/4/2023 at 7:54 AM, Bird said:

I would suggest that may be Mumy's home, the WW looks like the same issue from the previous picture

(sorry for a bit of a derail on the thread, but ...)

This article talks about that meeting and how it came about.  It apparently happened around 1987.  It's kind of cool that Mumy and Hamill met, not because of acting, but because of their love of comic books.

In this old article Hamill talks about how much he loves the history of comics, but eventually gave them up when "life" became more important.  He said he tried getting back into it, but said the collecting wasn't the same once prices/price guides came about.  It wasn't about trading comics anymore and the thrill was gone for him.  That article was back from 2011.

On 9/4/2023 at 7:09 AM, Robot Man said:

Back in 1967 the “hardest to find EC comics” were worth an astounding $25. each! 

IMG_7238.jpeg

I think 1953 is  one is the least hardest. But coming for the 1970's those annuals, especially for CA collectors were just impossible. I think NY collectors were able to buy them off the newsstands much easier. TTA1 is a truly rare book and I think I the Ha copy coming up for auction is a great opportunity to get it.

On 9/3/2023 at 9:07 PM, Professor K said:

Love this stuff. I saw a picture once of Billy (Bill) Mumy, the actor, with some pretty good stuff. Found it. Well no Action or Sup 1's but maybe he had them as well. Probably got these cheap back in his Lost in Space days. Pic is from 1979 I believe.

1884817844_GoldenagegroupshotMumyfrom1989.jpg.02a7641ce20abc2ce38af18d742f7d43.jpg

Oof, the way he's perched above those books, ready to fall on them...

gettyimages-515035696_sq-2360fde6d7a44d93c362691ace00152a4b5ce602-s800-c85.jpg.bc76d7719998c58e1ff16b26c6f302e5.jpg

On 9/3/2023 at 8:07 PM, Professor K said:

Love this stuff. I saw a picture once of Billy (Bill) Mumy, the actor, with some pretty good stuff. Found it. Well no Action or Sup 1's but maybe he had them as well. Probably got these cheap back in his Lost in Space days. Pic is from 1979 I believe.

1884817844_GoldenagegroupshotMumyfrom1989.jpg.02a7641ce20abc2ce38af18d742f7d43.jpg

Bill Mumy posts in  GA facebook group I belong to.  He still has a large collection of amazing books.

On 9/6/2023 at 12:17 AM, Crowzilla said:

Fantazia had several of those... :baiting:

As a kid with a full set of hair back than:baiting: I was happy to get this :cheers:

This was when comics were great and fun, and I had no worries or real responsibilities. 

I will say I loved reading those CBG looked Forword for that next one to be waiting for me when I got home and saw black and white pictures of comic's great times back than.:banana:

On 9/4/2023 at 6:46 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I follow his Facebook ‘Bill’s Book of the Day’ posts - his collection is unreal.

Mumy's quest for an Adventure 210 was epic, and I think he was responsible for Overstreet adjusting the prices on an almost non-existent book.

On 9/6/2023 at 9:30 AM, shadroch said:

Mumy's quest for an Adventure 210 was epic, and I think he was responsible for Overstreet adjusting the prices on an almost non-existent book.

So, I imagine he must have finally hooked up with Fishler who must have fleeced him for his BSD deep pockets because he claimed that he was personally responsible for that seemingly ridiculous valuation that Overstreet had in his guide for the first appearance of Krypto (whoTF????)  :screwy:  lol