• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people send random book for grading to cgc?
1 1

44 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2023 at 11:10 AM, the blob said:

That's a pretty big investment to make for a $50 sale hoping it comes back a 9.8. $9 added for the pre-screen/reject (do they tell you what they would have graded it on a pre-screen?)

Not everyone sends it in to prescreen which is probably why some of the grades come back so low on these books.

On 9/15/2023 at 3:02 PM, Semicentennial said:

Not everyone sends it in to prescreen which is probably why some of the grades come back so low on these books.

I get it, it's just that a $25 slab fee (and I know there are discounts) in the hope of getting a $50 book pretty much wipes out any profit if you guess wrong on a few 9.8s, which is really easy to do. I guess you need to still be profitable at 9.6 to do that regularly. 

Ouch, this was a hot book, I guess it didn't get a season 2 on Prime: https://www.ebay.com/itm/175881296136?hash=item28f3579908:g:c4UAAOSwStlk73Nr&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4ExXuvZ12vPvk2liBoNTnDW1SgNBjDgXkyvj5TYu7Gxqm88Zk6CApoRGmtjSowR3tFXzqyxG946ys5khaKo6ND1OVkd2FokS3pKif3J4%2F%2Fqe4EHnZVW5p86VzHQVLndDuFKlJb7MhFRhU9dhPsCelyEdxk0JcqMGaOdn3K1JunRMS0iyY4pQ0LBKOdslJmDLKPwBKzLNq5eVX%2F5MA1Tfkfg98jtUCyJ%2B4V6CAP74Xq%2FL7pfN8QEFSxbPF9Ir0t2EJJ%2FFASoWoovT9XuC%2B1tQ9c76UxpLhmPQH61iKkiISkTj|tkp%3ABk9SR6DH0aTTYg

Edited by the blob

On 9/15/2023 at 12:05 PM, the blob said:

I get it, it's just that a $25 slab fee (and I know there are discounts) in the hope of getting a $50 book pretty much wipes out any profit if you guess wrong on a few 9.8s, which is really easy to do. I guess you need to still be profitable at 9.6 to do that regularly. 

I'm sure there's quite a few of those garbage books to got submitted a few price increase ago.  I agree, it's a huge risk for such small returns.  

For me its purely for display purposes.  I needed to put something on the walls of my boring home office.  But I like comic book art.  So I would buy "virgin" comics of art that I thought looked cool or a favorite character of mine either from now or when I was a kid.  Getting the last bit of them slabbed right now and put them up on my walls.  No interest in selling them.  They are for me and that's what I want to do.

I slabbed my Claremont run of War Is Hell because they were (somewhat) high grade. my intentions were to have a nice display of the seven issues for my wall. I’d be lucky to break even on them in 5-10 years, but I enjoy the way they look.

I'm sending in some Flash Gordon books.  Because they're pre-1975, they'll cost me $37 each to slab.  I bought them each for less than $20.  They will not grade higher than 8.0, and perhaps not even higher than 7.0.  However, they will be the first copies of these issues on the census.

There is no massive collector market for these books, and if I were to sell them, I'd probably get less than $10 for each of them.  BUT, I'll have bragging rights for the single census copies!

:gossip: I'll be adding them to my registry set.

On 9/25/2023 at 11:55 AM, Yorick said:

I'm sending in some Flash Gordon books.  Because they're pre-1975, they'll cost me $37 each to slab.  I bought them each for less than $20.  They will not grade higher than 8.0, and perhaps not even higher than 7.0.  However, they will be the first copies of these issues on the census.

There is no massive collector market for these books, and if I were to sell them, I'd probably get less than $10 for each of them.  BUT, I'll have bragging rights for the single census copies!

:gossip: I'll be adding them to my registry set.

Mind officially bottled. 

"Random" is your word to describe someone else's comic or item. To them, it might be something they highly value, treasure, or just like. It's that simple. Why do people send in books that you believe are "random"? Because they want to and they presumably like the book/VHS/card/etc.

Speaking for myself, the items I send in are for me to enjoy. They aren't for sale. So if I like something, or there's a celebrity I want to sign a book, I send it in. For me.  

The only thing I can think that makes sense is sentimental reasons. I have a few books that aren't really worth much or, at best would be considered extra-minor keys (like Wolverine #50, with the yellow die-cut cover).  It isn't worth much raw, but it reminds me of my childhood and how much I love that issue. 

I also have an Uncanny X-Men issue that's not worth anything, but it's the first comicbook my mom ever bought for me. 

So there are definitely personal reasons people would slab worthless books. This hobby isn't always about flipping books for money. Sometimes it's all about collecting and solidifying memories for yourself.

On 9/4/2023 at 4:45 PM, SOTIcollector said:

Good question.  Some things that come to mind:  Sentimental reasons.  Bragging rights.  Display purposes.  Set completion.  Ease of handling.

SENTIMENTAL REASONS:  This hobby exists for nostalgia.  A very high percentage of the people who collect comics are doing so as a means of holding onto or recapturing something from days gone by.  Those same people can understandably have sentimental attachment to a comic.  What was the first comic you ever bought?  What was the first comic that ever made you feel like (fill in the blank)?  It makes sense that some of these collectors might want to slab a book that they have a sentimental attachment to, even though it doesn't increase the value of the book and other copies can be had for less.

SET COMPLETION:  It's important to some collectors to have a complete run.  Somebody may want to slab those "in between the keys" issues to complete a run or a set of some sort, even though specific ones in the set aren't "worth" slabbing.

BRAGGING RIGHTS:  Some people like to have the "only slabbed" or "one of only X graded copies."

DISPLAY PURPOSES:  Slabbed comics display well, and people pay money all the time to display their collectibles (wall hanging hardware, showcases, frames for art, etc.).  It makes sense that some might feel the slabbing fee is worth it to have a book that displays well.

EASE OF HANDLING:  It's much easier to handle a book that's been slabbed than an unslabbed book.  Some might find it worth the price to be able to let their significant other, kids, parents, or strangers see and handle the book.

All of these reasons place a value on something other than just the value of the book slabbed versus the value unslabbed, and none of these reasons requires the book to be a key. I am still a student, but I am already thinking about how I will graduate my college. I have to analyze a lot of books and this is why I trust only https://ca.papersowl.com/do-my-homework when the time is to ask for help with homework. Therefore, it is easier to learn and have academic success with expert assistance.

Guys, I'm curious to what extent does the pursuit of set completion drive collectors to slab comics that may not individually hold substantial value?

Edited by Erickalundmoen

On 10/3/2023 at 9:29 PM, CorndogBurglar said:

The only thing I can think that makes sense is sentimental reasons. I have a few books that aren't really worth much or, at best would be considered extra-minor keys (like Wolverine #50, with the yellow die-cut cover).  It isn't worth much raw, but it reminds me of my childhood and how much I love that issue. 

I also have an Uncanny X-Men issue that's not worth anything, but it's the first comicbook my mom ever bought for me. 

So there are definitely personal reasons people would slab worthless books. This hobby isn't always about flipping books for money. Sometimes it's all about collecting and solidifying memories for yourself.

If I had the first comic I bought, I'd cherish it but not encase it in plastic.  It takes all types.

On 11/27/2023 at 11:29 AM, Erickalundmoen said:

Guys, I'm curious to what extent does the pursuit of set completion drive collectors to slab comics that may not individually hold substantial value?

Don't underestimate the mystic thrall of the Registry. Firms like CGC and PSA would not dedicate time and expense towards them if it were not a proven money maker, even if the later the past 2 years has seemingly tried to alienate those collectors.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/27/2023 at 5:29 PM, Erickalundmoen said:

Maybe you will get an answer in my other topic? Money doesnt seems to be a problem for some people...lol