• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Comics Lore Unpopular Opinion Thread
2 2

167 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2023 at 1:40 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Newsstand books look ugly. Barcodes = yuck

Also 15% of 500 000 is not rare. Try books that were only distributed to a couple cities for a few months…that’s rare. But I’m not the majority of the market and thankfully, the majority will pay up for the former and only some ever gain interest in the latter which is fine with me 

Happy to see that I'm not the only newstaand hater:cheers:

Unpopular opinion?  Barcodes are BEAUTIFUL

Barcodes declare for all to see, "THIS COMIC PROBABLY HAD IT ROUGH EVERY DAY OF ITS LIFE, MANY OTHERS LIKE IT HAVE BEEN LOST FOREVER, BUT SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, THIS ONE SURVIVED!"

Direct editions boldly scream, "THIS COMIC AND EVERY OTHER COPY LIKE IT HAS BEEN HANDLED LIKE PURE GOLD SINCE THE MOMENT IT WAS PRINTED, THEY'RE ALL HIGH GRADE, SO YOU'VE FOUND HAY IN A HAYSTACK, WHOOP-DEE-DOO!"

:devil:

On 9/11/2023 at 3:47 PM, valiantman said:

Unpopular opinion?  Barcodes are BEAUTIFUL

Barcodes declare for all to see, "THIS COMIC PROBABLY HAD IT ROUGH EVERY DAY OF ITS LIFE, MANY OTHERS LIKE IT HAVE BEEN LOST FOREVER, BUT SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, THIS ONE SURVIVED!"

Direct editions boldly scream, "THIS COMIC AND EVERY OTHER COPY LIKE IT HAS BEEN HANDLED LIKE PURE GOLD SINCE THE MOMENT IT WAS PRINTED, THEY'RE ALL HIGH GRADE, SO YOU'VE FOUND HAY IN A HAYSTACK, WHOOP-DEE-DOO!"

:devil:

I mean comic shops from their inception and into the 90s all put their new issues on a rack at the front for collectors to thumb through. No different than a convenience store. And kids went to comic shop…I recall the one in the city closest to me always had kids inside. 

So while I understand rarity as a percentage factor of the distribution, the line about kids and manhandling has never sat well with me because comic shops rarely bagged and boarded those direct editions on display when they were first out. And I always recall comics hidden safely behind other more popular mags when they were at convenience stores so the narrative they were handled worse there also never sits well with me. 

On 9/11/2023 at 3:40 PM, BA773 said:

Happy to see that I'm not the only newstaand hater:cheers:

I’m not a hater per se…I just don’t think they are as rare as people say. I mean I guess there’s data to show they are though but when you are still talking about 75000 copies or even 50000 copies, that’s not rare and worthwhile. Sure newsies from 2000-2017 are actually quite rare and I can understand the overpayment on some keys that exist in that category. But overpaying for mid 80s and later 80s newsstand keys has always seemed odd to me is all

On 9/11/2023 at 3:25 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I mean comic shops from their inception and into the 90s all put their new issues on a rack at the front for collectors to thumb through. No different than a convenience store. And kids went to comic shop…I recall the one in the city closest to me always had kids inside. 

So while I understand rarity as a percentage factor of the distribution, the line about kids and manhandling has never sat well with me because comic shops rarely bagged and boarded those direct editions on display when they were first out. And I always recall comics hidden safely behind other more popular mags when they were at convenience stores so the narrative they were handled worse there also never sits well with me. 

Spoiler

even before directs? they were on newsstands, you do care about condition?

After newsstands diminished due to distributors, you somewhat care because of "rarity?"

But those "coppers" ruin it for all newsstand collectors to have a bad reputation for those who see no difference?

db46a2bc-e2b0-4451-85d5-55c7402cdf17_tex all in fun!!

On 9/11/2023 at 3:32 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I’m not a hater per se…I just don’t think they are as rare as people say. I mean I guess there’s data to show they are though but when you are still talking about 75000 copies or even 50000 copies, that’s not rare and worthwhile. Sure newsies from 2000-2017 are actually quite rare and I can understand the overpayment on some keys that exist in that category. But overpaying for mid 80s and later 80s newsstand keys has always seemed odd to me is all

All in fun indeed, and people are right to question the "amount of copies", and yet newsstand are 5 figure books :insane: 

But my point :makepoint: as it isn't needed, except for this post that drug on uselessly, is that I agree on coppers and etc I just don't classify the whole lot as such. IDK really and with all the back and forth it is bigger than it really is :shy:

In short your right, its just a presumably smaller distribution and not in certain areas, and for whatever reason. Mainly looking at the copper age, it can be easy to lump it all together. Newsstand were there before directs as well, and we care about condition :cheers: 

TLDR it is made into too big a thing, but when some are 5 figure books, I do AND don't understand the "angst" :goodvsevil:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/11/2023 at 3:25 PM, comicginger1789 said:

He thinks Newsstands are special just because he grew up in the dumbest place on Earth, where somebody insanely put the spinner rack near produce misters. :facepalm:

Never mind the fact that there are many Newsstands that had an existence that makes his extremely overly-idealized description of Directs look like hell.

The numbers will tell the story.  All our anecdotes about "perfect newsstands" and "destroyed direct editions" won't mean squat if the availability consistently tells a different story.  So far, it's pretty clear... except for books where the direct edition collectors raided the newsstands (ASM #252, #361, Thor #337-#339), there just aren't a ton of high grade newsstands to be had. If they exist, they're not making their way to CGC.  If they're not making their way to CGC, they may not exist. When there are 10 times more of A than B, is it crazy to think that B should sell for 2 times the price of A?  Some of you guys get your undies in a knot when things that are 20 times less common sell for a 20% premium.  Math doesn't care about feelings.

Edited by valiantman

It does look good as far as condition, to what you're saying about the future.

Spoiler

I wouldn't say that guaranteed a price difference because (collectors be collecting lol) it took years for 30 cents and 35 cents and other Canadian and Australian niches to catch on. While not fully the same category, it is a niche just the same. I'm glad for either way. If I had the money I don't think I'd spend the value some newsstands have compared to their counter parts. But who knows? I did on some for the post 2000's but n the hundred range.

Edit to agree thread back on track. Unpopular opinion: some newsstands seem to show up just as often but are selling for astronomical realized almost too good to be true proportions that cause the similarly dirt cheap ones to cause people "angst" when disputing facts from both sides that are valid.

Time will tell, be patient.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/11/2023 at 6:00 PM, Krydel4 said:

The Archie Comics TMNT (and cartoon of the same vintage) contributed more to TMNT lore and how they are thought of by fans and the general public than the original Mirage series ever did.

I don't think anyone really disputes that.

On 9/11/2023 at 3:11 PM, thecollectron said:

Ronin the movie is not based on the comic book miniseries. They just have the same title.

I always thought any books were done by Frank Miller that have brought to the movies.

I never read Ronin mini series and I tempted to buy them. The resales of those books are not that great. Are those mini series worth to read?  I enjoyed reading Frank Miller's 300 mini-series.

On 9/11/2023 at 5:02 PM, Ryan. said:
On 9/11/2023 at 5:00 PM, Krydel4 said:

The Archie Comics TMNT (and cartoon of the same vintage) contributed more to TMNT lore and how they are thought of by fans and the general public than the original Mirage series ever did.

I don't think anyone really disputes that.

Yeah, the only thing I would change about that post is that the cartoon did that and the Archie series that was adapted from the cartoon (however loosely) only slightly assisted in that. TMNT did have an impact on the industry and hobby, but the cartoon had a much wider reach than an independent comic.

On 9/11/2023 at 11:04 PM, valiantman said:

UNPOPULAR OPINION:  All collectibles worth owning have a period of time when they were considered worthless.

This is not possible considering any stuff which the original value is really expensive. Like you would say that there is an instant where have a Ferrari Collection in your garage  was worth nothing at a given moment? 

Edited by BA773

On 9/12/2023 at 12:00 AM, Krydel4 said:

my knowledge of the turtles is not enough legitimate to approve it but it seems to be right for me

Edited by BA773

On 9/11/2023 at 4:25 PM, comicginger1789 said:

It is more about "extra" copies dealers (and file customers) tucked away for future spec (or to immediately sell at some multiple of cover), but let's be honest, there were a lot of titles where that did not happen, but some titles where it definitely did, and particular issues for sure.

On 9/12/2023 at 12:36 AM, BA773 said:
On 9/11/2023 at 4:04 PM, valiantman said:

UNPOPULAR OPINION:  All collectibles worth owning have a period of time when they were considered worthless.

This is not possible considering any stuff which the original value is really expensive. Like you would say that there is an instant where have a Ferrari Collection in your garage  was worth nothing at a given moment? 

I can't picture a shelf with a dozen slabbed Ferraris.