• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CSG Ups Its Game with a New Label and Revised Grading Scale!
1 1

140 posts in this topic

On 4/26/2022 at 3:35 PM, sheldonm85 said:

"If this is true" Lol, yeah it's true. Yes, that's what the subgrades were and I've already been told they're looking into what happened and they'll get it fixed. 

For me, I think the 9/9.5/9.5/9.5 *should* be 9.5. That was my contention with this entire "All 9.5 are now 10s, but all 9s are still 9s" thing.

On 4/12/2022 at 4:06 PM, Warner85 said:

Does anyone (including CSG) have a new label perfect 10 and can post what it looks like? I know it’s early and they’re rare but I’m curious if it’s only subgrades added. From what I’ve heard so far it’s just subgrades which is kind of pointless  (according to csg). Is the label on a perfect 10 really not a different color or anything like that?

Can I get an admin to explain please? Will there only be subgrades on a perfect and no color change for the label? 

On 4/27/2022 at 4:56 AM, northkorea said:

For me, I think the 9/9.5/9.5/9.5 *should* be 9.5. That was my contention with this entire "All 9.5 are now 10s, but all 9s are still 9s" thing.

I'd disagree with this. The new Mint+ (9.5) designation should be reserved for cards with two 9.5 subgrades and two 9 subgrades, cards that just missed Gem Mint. I know you're talking about the Min Gem vs True Gem malarkey, but that was only made possible because of the transparency subgrades provided, a playing field PSA and SGC never participated on. It was a ridiculous nuance then and it is now. It's one of the main reasons I'm glad CSG did away with subgrades.

On 4/27/2022 at 5:47 AM, PunsRTonsOfFun said:

I'd disagree with this. The new Mint+ (9.5) designation should be reserved for cards with two 9.5 subgrades and two 9 subgrades, cards that just missed Gem Mint. I know you're talking about the Min Gem vs True Gem malarkey, but that was only made possible because of the transparency subgrades provided, a playing field PSA and SGC never participated on. It was a ridiculous nuance then and it is now. It's one of the main reasons I'm glad CSG did away with subgrades.

And CSG would disagree with you, as they've said repeatedly that a 9/9/9.5/9.5 green is a 9 black.

The ones I want to know about are the 10/10/9/9 being 9s or 10/10/10/8+ (back centering downgrade) cards meeting the definition of a black perfect 10.

Edited by northkorea

On 5/1/2022 at 9:46 AM, Anon15212 said:

How long is the $5 discount on reslabs good for, for those people who have previously submitted orders?

What $5 discount are you referring to? Do you mean the Reholder fee? If so, I think it's good through June.

• Administrator
On 5/1/2022 at 3:46 PM, Anon15212 said:

How long is the $5 discount on reslabs good for, for those people who have previously submitted orders?

The reduced $5 ReHolder fee is good through 06/30/2022.

On 5/2/2022 at 7:17 AM, CGCRyan said:

The reduced $5 ReHolder fee is good through 06/30/2022.

Ryan, can you respond to all about what green labels 9.5 cross over to 10's.  Do all of them without subgrades cross over to the 10?  What about ones with subgrades, do you have to have three 9.5 subgrades at least? 

• Administrator
On 5/2/2022 at 11:20 AM, Zdawgs said:

Ryan, can you respond to all about what green labels 9.5 cross over to 10's.  Do all of them without subgrades cross over to the 10?  What about ones with subgrades, do you have to have three 9.5 subgrades at least? 

All green label Gem Mint 9.5s (sub-grades or no sub-grades) will cross to Gem Mint 10s in the new black label.  

Got a batch of Gem 10 (formerly Gem 9.5) back today. Wasn't thrilled about paying $8 per card including the $5 fee plus shipping. However, I was very impressed with the quality and look of the new labels and I do like the 10 vs 9.5. Whether there is any real resale value added TBD but for PC and long-term hold cards they are in my opinion a big upgrade.  

Would an old label Pristine 10 cross to a Perfect 10?  It seems that Perfect 10 are like unicorns but the Gem Mt 10 is out there. Is the Perfect 10 in a new label the highest standard at this point and does anyone have one they can share as photo proof?

On 5/8/2022 at 4:08 AM, Leveronea said:

Would an old label Pristine 10 cross to a Perfect 10?  It seems that Perfect 10 are like unicorns but the Gem Mt 10 is out there. Is the Perfect 10 in a new label the highest standard at this point and does anyone have one they can share as photo proof?

No.

and...

No.

There is a chance that an old 9.5/10*3 (10 Pristine) to as low as an old 6/10*3 (7 NrMint) could end up as a perfect black 10, but only if the non-10 grade is centering, and the card exhibits 55/45 or better centering on the front (both ways), but 75/25 centering on back. The rear centering would have resulted in a lower grade on the green scale than the black scale.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:25 AM, northkorea said:

No.

and...

No.

There is a chance that an old 9.5/10*3 (10 Pristine) to as low as an old 6/10*3 (7 NrMint) could end up as a perfect black 10, but only if the non-10 grade is centering, and the card exhibits 55/45 or better centering on the front (both ways), but 75/25 centering on back. The rear centering would have resulted in a lower grade on the green scale than the black scale.

I'm thinking this would be a good candidate to go from green Pristine to Black Perfect?

https://www.csgcards.com/certlookup/1017251012/

On 5/9/2022 at 9:13 AM, KB! said:

I'm thinking this would be a good candidate to go from green Pristine to Black Perfect?

https://www.csgcards.com/certlookup/1017251012/

That would be the definition of the grade inflation from Green to Black. Unless you absolutely want a new label, consider not crossing that one up, since, a Perfect 10 would include even lower graded cards than that one, in theory.

Now, that said, I think this reinforces my thoughts on time limits on transitions from green to black. So long as the transition window is open, people can simply hypothesize about such grade swaps, which will lead to eBay "Green 10 with subs!!! Better than Black Perfect?!?!?!?!" titles.

By changing the definition of reholdering, CSG could claim that Green label cards be treated as a different brand card, thereby insisting that they can only offer min-grade X.

That said, I'm surprised to see Ryan openly admitting that BGS 9.5s would be eligible for "Min Grade 10" crossovers. Refreshing to see such honesty, even if it likely devalues the brand in the long run.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:30 PM, northkorea said:

I'm surprised to see Ryan openly admitting that BGS 9.5s would be eligible for "Min Grade 10" crossovers. Refreshing to see such honesty, even if it likely devalues the brand in the long run.

This just means that you could specify you only want it to be cracked / reslabbed with CSG *if* it would get a 10, right? I don't think he's saying all BGS 9.5 is automatically a CSG 10... Right?

--Kyle

On 5/9/2022 at 2:36 PM, PuraVida said:

This just means that you could specify you only want it to be cracked / reslabbed with CSG *if* it would get a 10, right? I don't think he's saying all BGS 9.5 is automatically a CSG 10... Right?

--Kyle

I agree that he's not saying the second half of it, but I don't believe CSG (by policy) would allow for the first half of it. Effectively, no company wants to admit openly that they have looser grading standards than another company. As such, if you request min grade CSG 10 on a BGS 9.5, you basically are paying CSG money to send you back the BGS 9.5.

Request: It would be really great if CSG extended the promotion of the reholder discount ($5) for one more month - for international collectors like myself, a lot of us use a US mailing service and only ship back to our home country when we've accumulated a good amount of cards (to save on international shipping).  I have a bunch of CSG 9.5s that will almost certainly not make the June 30th deadline.  Hope CSG will consider this!

On 5/24/2022 at 9:12 AM, kglo said:

Request: It would be really great if CSG extended the promotion of the reholder discount ($5) for one more month - for international collectors like myself, a lot of us use a US mailing service and only ship back to our home country when we've accumulated a good amount of cards (to save on international shipping).  I have a bunch of CSG 9.5s that will almost certainly not make the June 30th deadline.  Hope CSG will consider this!

If you contact CSG and submit the form online, I would think they could arrange to honor the deal, if you submit/mail everything within a reasonable time frame.

Another question.  Apologize if it as been answered previously answered in the thread.

I just received my reholder sub.  The labels are a big step up..

Anyways, will CSG remove the old certification numbers from their database?  I did notice that the reholders got new cert numbers.

One example - 1012205011 and 1024354001 are the same card.

1012205032 and 1024354002 are the same card

I will go through and delete the old ones out of my personal inventory and re-register the new labeled ones.  The first one above shows only 2 graded in that grade and those are the two, so really pop 1 for now.

On 6/6/2022 at 12:47 PM, Scottish Punk said:

Another question.  Apologize if it as been answered previously answered in the thread.

I just received my reholder sub.  The labels are a big step up..

Anyways, will CSG remove the old certification numbers from their database?  I did notice that the reholders got new cert numbers.

One example - 1012205011 and 1024354001 are the same card.

1012205032 and 1024354002 are the same card

I will go through and delete the old ones out of my personal inventory and re-register the new labeled ones.  The first one above shows only 2 graded in that grade and those are the two, so really pop 1 for now.

I noticed this too and I'm hopeful/expecting that they're going to decertify the old numbers.