• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the grade of this Amazing Fantasy #15?

60 posts in this topic

IM SENDING ALL MY BOOKS TO BE GRADED BY HERITAGE!

No see, you send your books to Heritage to sell, then they send them to CGC to be graded, and then sell them for you. From what I have heard, you don't even have to pay the slabbing fees.

thata what I meant - - send them to Heritage for them to sell it in thgeir auction and get them graded alongh the way. But yoou DO pay the slabbing fees. Except in "special" circumstances. If you gave them a nice Action 1 or whatever they'd eact the 1000 to slab it if you negotiate it upfront. Heck, you might even get a lower commission too!

If i sold that book i would call it a 1.0 but i think CGC will grade it a 1.5/1.8 possibly as high as a 2.0.

WOW! i miissed that comment that it was graded a 3.0!!! Horribly overgraded!!! It just reinforces what i have stated all along that on books graded below 5.0 CGC tends to overgrade by a full point or more!!! This doesn't affect me becausei don't buy low grades and have only bought 2 cgc 4.5's both were overgraded!!!

That floors me that this was given a 3.0 by CGC!! I sent in a Hulk #1 that is heads and tails above this copy and they gave me a 2.5 on it. I wish I had a scan ready to show. What a horrible grade! I don't even think most eBay raw sellers would mislead this bad...well, maybe a few 27_laughing.gif

boo.gif

i just saw this and am quite perplexed by that grade.

if the only defect on the book were the book length vertical reading crease and the many, many deep color breaking spine creases (which make the cover look like it's barely hanging on), i'd think it would be around a VG.

BUT, when you add in a dime size missing chunk on the spine, amateur tape repair resulting in discoloration on the ULC, a series of 2-4 inch URC corner creases, and a book length diagonal crease that runs through spidey's eyes, you would wind up far below a G/VG, IMHO.

about the only saving grace for this book is that the figures in the center are almost defect free (save that big crease).

AND, the back cover can only make it worse!!!!!!!

personally, i'd return this in an instant. But wait, wasn't this purchased from Heritage with their Biga$$ scans??? confused.gif

Much agreed... this one never made any sense at all. I initially wondered if the book inside had somehow been switched?, or if CGC just plain mislabeled the book. Metropolis, did you ever take this up with CGC or figure out what happened here?

Much agreed... this one never made any sense at all. I initially wondered if the book inside had somehow been switched?, or if CGC just plain mislabeled the book. Metropolis, did you ever take this up with CGC or figure out what happened here?

Late getting to this thread but please don't tell me ANY of you are suprised by this.I've seen enough CGC books over the past 5 years to emphatically state I NEVER know what a book is coming back as and the lack of consistency is amazing. I recently bought a FF 16 from Comiclink as 9.0. The book is virtually perfect. Absolutely no spine stresses,4 square corners, perfectly centered,OW/W pages. The same month I bought a FF 14 from Heritage 9.2.The 16 just blows the 14 away. A few months later I got an FF 9 from Quasar that's 7.5 and it looks much better than a 9.4 early daredevil I got back and is on par with the 14 which is accurately graded. keith

Late getting to this thread but please don't tell me ANY of you are suprised by this.I've seen enough CGC books over the past 5 years to emphatically state I NEVER know what a book is coming back as and the lack of consistency is amazing. I recently bought a FF 16 from Comiclink as 9.0. The book is virtually perfect. Absolutely no spine stresses,4 square corners, perfectly centered,OW/W pages. The same month I bought a FF 14 from Heritage 9.2.The 16 just blows the 14 away. A few months later I got an FF 9 from Quasar that's 7.5 and it looks much better than a 9.4 early daredevil I got back and is on par with the 14 which is accurately graded. keith

Keith - not to rain on your grading skills, but here's a grading anecdote from just this am.

a board member sends me a PM about one of my books up on the Pedigree site. he wants bigger Pics because he's called for the grading notes (astute buyer) and can't see most of the defects that are listed.

i pull the book from the safe and begin a minute visual inspection based on what he's told me. i start to answer his inquiry that i can't find the "stain" that they reference, when i locate a 1/4 inch mark blended in with the artwork.

i also can't find the "tear" that they reference until i finally take out a Loupe and focus in on an almost invisible squiggly little line on the ULC, which might be a tiny tear.

lastly i'm able to find 2 non color-breaking crease upon close inspection.

my point is that i had to use magnification and know what i was looking for to find these things. my faith in their ability to pick up on this stuff is pretty solid. i still think the book looks like a 9.0 and was graded an 8.0, but i now know why........it was a SA DC, afterall..................... smirk.gif

Keith - not to rain on your grading skills, but here's a grading anecdote from just this am.

a board member sends me a PM about one of my books up on the Pedigree site. he wants bigger Pics because he's called for the grading notes (astute buyer) and can't see most of the defects that are listed.

i pull the book from the safe and begin a minute visual inspection based on what he's told me. i start to answer his inquiry that i can't find the "stain" that they reference, when i locate a 1/4 inch mark blended in with the artwork.

i also can't find the "tear" that they reference until i finally take out a Loupe and focus in on an almost invisible squiggly little line on the ULC, which might be a tiny tear.

lastly i'm able to find 2 non color-breaking crease upon close inspection.

my point is that i had to use magnification and know what i was looking for to find these things. my faith in their ability to pick up on this stuff is pretty solid. i still think the book looks like a 9.0 and was graded an 8.0, but i now know why........it was a SA DC, afterall..................... smirk.gif

Your points are well taken and perhaps I should use different examples. I and many others have called for grading notes on many many books. Notes are usually not sufficient to explain anything. I haven't called on the FF 16 but I will

We purchased this book from a Heritage auction. It was graded by CGC a 3.0 GVG within the last few months. Believe it or not.

The CGC 3.0 also has 3 pieces of tape inside the cover as well

We had a raw AF #15 graded about the same time. That book was graded by CGC as a Good 2.0 and it was light years better than the Heritage CGC 3.0

893whatthe.gif a 3.0???!!! 893censored-thumb.giftonofbricks.gif

i guess my VF's are now officially 9.4's!!! insane.gif

better, my giant size 7.5 might reach the 9.0 grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

CGC really messed up on this one...!!!

regards