• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Some Help
4 4

61 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2023 at 2:30 PM, Et-Es-Go said:

what OP means

Original Post(er).  That means YOU.

My beef is that it takes MORE work to grade a poor condition comic than a mint one.  Fees should be higher for grading terrible condition books.

On 9/12/2023 at 4:20 PM, Cog said:

Again, it has to do with the insurance CGC has. Time has nothing to do with it except how long they are in possession of your book.

I don't understand what you are inferring here. CGC's insurance carrier does not charge CGC variable fees depending on what CGC has in its grading vault on any given day. The insurance company charges CGC an annual fee.

On 9/12/2023 at 8:49 PM, Ryan. said:

I don't understand what you are inferring here. CGC's insurance carrier does not charge CGC variable fees depending on what CGC has in its grading vault on any given day. The insurance company charges CGC an annual fee.

It's likely that there is a master policy based on the total exposure that CGC has. But CGC would have you believe they are purchasing separate policies for each high value comic, and passing that on to you. A nice fairy tale to support their fees.

As a follow up I did receive the book today, so happy about that.  I did find it odd that the invoice sent with the book shows the original FMV I assigned to it at $1800 and the total grading fees as $285.  There is nothing about the value being moved to $20K on the book which resulted in the $800 grading fees which was assessed and I was charged for.  Baffling!

Clear as mud! I'd dispute the charge with the cc company, as "I don't know how this charge has been calculated, no itemization. I don't think I owe it."

People dispute overcharges all the time for goods and services. They can't just say we decided arbitrarily what the amount should be. And they won't have anything on which to base a new value, since you couldn't find any recent comparable sales. They are just plucking a value out of the air.

And don't forget, they say they "don't assign values".

On 9/14/2023 at 2:01 PM, Et-Es-Go said:

As a follow up I did receive the book today, so happy about that.  I did find it odd that the invoice sent with the book shows the original FMV I assigned to it at $1800 and the total grading fees as $285.  There is nothing about the value being moved to $20K on the book which resulted in the $800 grading fees which was assessed and I was charged for.  Baffling!

If you were in business, how could you itemize these costs without a proper invoice?!  :deadhorse:

On 9/14/2023 at 5:28 AM, lostboys said:

Damn so not only do you get hammered with shipping and selling fees when you sell it on Ebay but also by CGC when you score a high grade.

Thats a lot of lost profit, paying middle men.

On 9/14/2023 at 5:34 AM, joeypost said:

Welcome to Comics 2023

Voldemort charges $200 max regardless of value, but their high value slabs sell for substantially less than CGC so it might not be worth it. 

On 9/13/2023 at 12:30 AM, Et-Es-Go said:

This thread really prompted some interesting discussions.  I do not know what OP means, so someone will need to enlighten me on that.  Let me see if I can set the record straight here on what was submitted and what the results were.

Two books were submitted.  The first one I put a FMV of $30K on it and submitted as unlimited value.  Paid the 4% fee up front, and there is a $5 charge for imaging, a $5 charge for handling, then $125 for overnight shipping, so at $135.  So the total for that book was $1,335.00.  All went fine with that book, and I have it back.

The second book submitted was also submitted as unlimited value.  That book does not sell very often as it does not have a very big census.  I did not find any applicable current sales so I defaulted to the price guide (which is what CGC says to do) and estimated the grade at 7.0 to 8.0 which had a guide price of about $1800, thus I used that.  $150 is the minimum for unlimited value, then add the same imaging, handling, and shipping fees for another $135, so I paid up front fees of $285.  This book they determined should be worth $20,000, not $1800.  So I was asked to pay an additional $650 in grading fees, the difference.  

In the first case it all went according to -script and no issues.  For the second case the FMV was re-assessed based on the opinion that CGC feels the book is worth $20K compared to my submission FMV of $1800.  I think it is fine that they determine a different value for a book that has been submitted; however, they need to either have a procedure spelled out on how they get to that value and/or they need to

structure their unlimited value tiers to better meet the expectations of the customer and not surprise them with a 10x change upward or more in valuation.  https://edubirdie.com/top-writers offers top essay writers.

I think it's unfair that CGC can re-assess the value of a book after it has been submitted and the customer has paid the unlimited value fee. I mean this creates a situation where the customer could be surprised with a large additional fee, even if they have submitted the book in good faith.

Also, the fact that the minimum fee is only $150 suggests that the customer will not have to pay a significant additional fee, even if the book is valued at a very high price.

What do you think guys if I say CGC should either eliminate the unlimited value tier altogether, or they should make it more transparent and fair for customers... For example, they could require customers to submit evidence of the book's fair market value, such as recent sales data. They could also charge a higher minimum fee for the unlimited value tier, so that customers are aware of the potential risks involved.

Edited by Erickalundmoen

I think the fee for the golden age category should be broken down into relevant categories that have flat fees for the grading service.  Depending on the category, the fees are set at different price points. 

Example; the initial structure is based on publication date, say 1930 to 1940.  Within that era you could have additional categories; Incomplete, Poor to Good, Very Good to Fine, and Fine or Better.  For CGC, they could set grading fees accordingly based on the time required to assess the condition in these categories.  It seems to me the books with more defects should actually take longer to evaluate and thus have a higher fee.  This is only one possible way of doing this, but I think something like this would be a more equitable grading fee structure.  My two cents.

Reviving the thread: just had it happen to me too.

They increased my charge from $150 to $320, which I assume means I got a significant grade bump? I can’t tell because they haven’r posted the results yet.

Guna be pissed if it came back the same grade but I got charged more 🤣.

On 12/7/2023 at 1:25 PM, Cnight said:

Reviving the thread: just had it happen to me too.

They increased my charge from $150 to $320, which I assume means I got a significant grade bump? I can’t tell because they haven’r posted the results yet.

Guna be pissed if it came back the same grade but I got charged more 🤣.

Did they notify you of the upcharge ahead of time?

@Ryan. Not really; they just hit me at 1 am this morning with the email below.  They had just received it the day before and I assume they must have already been grading it (Unlimited Value).

I’m not complaining by any stretch; the projected grade at that value would be well worth it, but it also seems……off.

I got charged the updated amount today around 11 am as well.

IMG_0013.png

On 12/7/2023 at 3:48 PM, Cnight said:

@Ryan. Not really; they just hit me at 1 am this morning with the email below.  They had just received it the day before and I assume they must have already been grading it (Unlimited Value).

I’m not complaining by any stretch; the projected grade at that value would be well worth it, but it also seems……off.

I got charged the updated amount today around 11 am as well.

IMG_0013.png

Thanks. I have an Unlimited Value sub in process right now and part of me is hoping for a similar email.