• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slabbing question about a signed Dave Stevens comic
1 1

20 posts in this topic

(I'm going to put this in the "Ask CGC" thread, but thought I'd put it here too)

I bought this complete copy of Starslayer 1 that has the 1st appearance (in an Advertisement) of Rocketeer 1.  

It's signed at the bottom by Dave Stevens and neatly folded back upon itself to the Ad page.  So the comic is kind of "inside out".

I was thinking of sending it in for slabbing just like this.  I DON'T want CGC to fold it back to the actual cover.  I want the signature to the front of the slab like it is right now.  

Now, I realize it won't get a SS label (since it's an unwitnessed sig), and I also realize it will get a low grade since the comic will be inside out, but..... it's the way I want it in the slab.

Have any of you done something like this before for an interior sig?

IMG_9314.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

If you're going the route of permanent alteration to get the page shown in the slab, might as well detach page and have it graded, as then it would be shown for sure I would think. It came out of that particular book and issue, so the label notes would stay the same (thumbsu

It just depends on if you want the green qualified to blue page designation.

and to your original point, since it the sig isn't on the cover per se, it wouldn't get a green label, but it might affect how the book gets slabbed by cgc.

Easiest thing "I would think" is to detach the page and submit it; however, I'm not sure if anyone else would condone or "think it best!"

:cheers: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Think I read somewhere that they won't honor a request to slab a book backwards (intentionally).  As in the case where you like the back cover more than the front.  This seems something like that.

On 9/17/2023 at 6:23 PM, Axelrod said:

Think I read somewhere that they won't honor a request to slab a book backwards (intentionally).  As in the case where you like the back cover more than the front.  This seems something like that.

I can say from experience that this isn't true.

fc.jpg

On 9/17/2023 at 3:23 PM, Axelrod said:

Yeah, they've slabbed a comic backwards for me before. I just taped a note to the bag for the slabber.

For the OP, I'd probably ask CS about this.

Stand corrected then.  Nice to know.  Maybe they could do something like this. 

I guess they do slab those stupid "preview inserts" that people have pulled out of comics.  So, like, if you ripped the cover off completely....

On 9/17/2023 at 7:58 AM, gadzukes said:

By the way, does anyone know who "Bill" is and why Dave would be thanking him?

I think that was a fairly commonly used Stevens salutation when he signed autographs. I have a signed Madman trading card from Dave, and he signed it like that.

Well, here's the answer to this query from CGC.

"Our graders have confirmed we would not be able to encapsulate the book like this. The cover would be folded back to the front for encapsulation to prevent damage to the book in our holders. Additionally as for the label information/designation, we would note something to the effect of "Name and inscription on Page _ in Pen". While this still would be considered a blue label we would not be able to note the signer's name on the label. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause." 

Edited by gadzukes

On 9/19/2023 at 12:57 PM, Lightning55 said:

You could let them do it their way, but first make a quality color photocopy of the signed page to keep with it. Or just send in the single page, as suggested earlier.

I find the actual cover to be pretty ugly.  I'm a Dave Stevens fan, I want to see the ad not the ugly cover.

The comic is nearly worthless so I may just remove the wrap, or...... just keep it in mylar.

On 9/17/2023 at 3:03 PM, Gaard said:

Agreed. *If* CGC agrees to do it that way, odds are extremely low that it'll actually be slabbed that way.

It'd be cool, though.

CGC will return a Rocket Racer comic book. I jest, .... ... ... or do I.