• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think Small, Show us your Digests!
8 8

329 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2024 at 2:56 PM, OtherEric said:

I wasn't aware Startling went to digest size at the end of its run.  Beautiful copy!

And, having gotten my own copy (not as nice as yours) I see that it's a weird middle size, bigger than a typical digest but smaller than a typical pulp.

On 2/10/2024 at 3:16 PM, OtherEric said:

And, having gotten my own copy (not as nice as yours) I see that it's a weird middle size, bigger than a typical digest but smaller than a typical pulp.

They did it from at least 1952-1955 judging by the few examples I own. And, yes, they are weird sized. Right in the middle of a pulp and a digest.

Edited by johnenock

Sojarr of Titan by Manly Wade Wellman   Prize Science Fiction No. 11  1949.  Cover art by Herman Vestal.  I always considered this a classic Sci Fi cover image

Vestal did the cover for the September 1952  Planet Stories but otherwise looks like he did mostly interiors in the pulps.

20240213_104237.thumb.jpg.53305fc78da89e445b57105c2730b151.jpg

On 2/13/2024 at 10:59 AM, Surfing Alien said:

The one in the foreground just needs a highball with that cigarette and nylons to be the paragon of virtue :luhv:

... and she has already assumed the "Cleopatra Position". :cloud9: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2/10/2024 at 8:13 AM, johnenock said:

Nice copy of a great cover:

26533.jpg.webp

I had been holding off mentioning this until I had a copy on the way, but this issue is oddly probably best known for the review column, because it's the first appearance of Sturgeon's Revelation, better known as Sturgeon's Law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law

On 2/16/2024 at 5:53 PM, OtherEric said:

I had been holding off mentioning this until I had a copy on the way, but this issue is oddly probably best known for the review column, because it's the first appearance of Sturgeon's Revelation, better known as Sturgeon's Law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law

I tend to agree with his Law and his Revelation!

Or the comic book law:

What you like is crud, what I like is awesome!

Edited by johnenock

On 2/19/2024 at 8:51 AM, Robot Man said:

A fun little group of digests I found yesterday at the flea market. Paul, Finlay, Wilson covers. The guy in front of me was grabbing any with RE Howard stories. There was a time when I would hardly look at these…

IMG_8334.jpeg

That Galaxy with Finlay's cover for The Ballad of Lost C'Mell is possibly my all-time favorite Finlay cover.  Just gorgeous.