• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think Small, Show us your Digests!
8 8

322 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2024 at 5:48 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Please sir, I'd like another :insane:  That's gotta be a Driben

Another Joker, but this ain't a digest, oversized magazine, v01n03 Summer 1943:

Joker1943-Summerv01n03.Comedycover.thumb.jpg.b88628057d7fd04ad4ebcf8fe7491cc1.jpg

Believe that's a Joe Simon cover.  Maybe it started as a digest, went to the large magazine size, then a comic, then back to a Humorama digest? Maybe Doc Vassallo has already sorted this out...

On 5/9/2024 at 6:36 PM, Surfing Alien said:

This sits at the Top Of The Bill with "Homicide Hotel" and "Satan's Widow" in the Phantom Books world imho, although they're all great.

Unlike those two, "Swamp Kill" has great kinetic action to it. Just a phenomenal cover.

+ Harry Whittington was the master of swamp fiction so this is iconic in that sense as well.

FB_IMG_1715304626554.thumb.jpg.a14322147681a9e6d6a7cd78b0b4409c.jpg

Probably a formula to Swamp Fiction! Say, 1 gator attack every 22 pages....Or something like that.

On 5/16/2024 at 6:07 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Red Head Alert :shiftyeyes:        Rainbows are desirable as it is but this waaaay red Howell Dodd wench makes it extra inviting...

20240516_172829.thumb.jpg.e631234f47de0e8bf10a446dd2d7563f.jpg

I think I bid on this a week or two back, not enough, apparently :baiting:

On 5/20/2024 at 5:15 PM, Hap Hazard said:

pics of some digests

misc. 2.jpg

People ask crazy money for that analog.  Not sure if they get it, but they definitely ask.

On 5/20/2024 at 6:12 PM, OtherEric said:

People ask crazy money for that analog.  Not sure if they get it, but they definitely ask.

I could find them in the dollar boxes right after the Ender"s Game movie came out!

On 5/20/2024 at 9:12 PM, OtherEric said:

I think every 1970's issue of Analog printed has been preserved somewhere since the day they were bought so there's a bit of relative scarcity for the more desirable ones but any can still be found randomly in the wild. That's part of the beauty of vintage pb/digest collecting though. The 70's & 80's stuff is still wide open.

On 5/20/2024 at 7:22 PM, OtherEric said:

1st Ender’s Game.  Can’t recall if it’s also Orson Scott Card’s first published work

A check online suggests it may also be Robert Asprin’s first published work as well.  I like Asprin’s work a lot more personally but I can’t deny it’s Card driving the asking price on the issue.