• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need input on pricing my comics
1 1

12 posts in this topic

So I have a CGC graded full run of the 1984 Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars. They are all doubled signed by John Beatty and Jim Shooter. Also Issues #1, #8, and #12 are doubled sketched. The grades range from 9.4 to 9.8.

If I’m looking to sell all 12 in a listing, what price range should I be looking at?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

A92AC092-34D2-4EAC-A512-46D7F810FD08.jpeg

BA761F51-7C00-4F4F-B00F-8778CAC93BE4.jpeg

886F5C20-75CB-4BF9-BA08-C92D296E2555.jpeg

7FBB3733-D5AB-4E1E-B2D4-D0B56B4AE697.jpeg

Edited by ChristianD

Look up eBay sold prices for individual comics (easier to match sigs that way) knock off 5% for selling as a group. Add five dollars per comic for cool custom label. 

Whatever your number is at your range is from -15% to +10% of that number

Edited by revat

Nice set but youre gonna have trouble selling them in 1 listing.

There may be "that guy" out there thats interested but I dont think many collectors want that many signatures for one set of books.

Dont get me wrong because I do love signed books but I only need 1 per collection.

1 McFarlane sig in my Spawn collection.

1 Kirkman sig in my Walking Dead collection.

etc

Good luck!

Keep it as a set. Some of those books are kinda worthless so if you let people just cherry pick the valuable ones you’ll end up with 3-4 unsellable books. There is always a high roller who wants a full set like that. As for pricing, the #8 is a $1000 book all day long. When you add a custom label that’s like… $1,005. I’d start around $20k and just field offers. 

On 9/22/2023 at 8:06 AM, Cman429 said:

Keep it as a set. Some of those books are kinda worthless so if you let people just cherry pick the valuable ones you’ll end up with 3-4 unsellable books. There is always a high roller who wants a full set like that. As for pricing, the #8 is a $1000 book all day long. When you add a custom label that’s like… $1,005. I’d start around $20k and just field offers. 

A Secret Wars #8 CGC 9.4 with sigs by Shooter/Beatty just sold a couple days ago (9/18) for $340... I don't think the remarques would add $600 IMO.

Selling as a set is going to be a must for reasons already listed above; the price for the set is going to wildly vary. You are very likely not going to get your money back (if these were done through CGC), you might break even if you got these at a convention sig/remarq prices. I would probably throw these on Ebay at 6k with best offer and see what fishing brings you (probably a ton of 1k offers).

What really hurts is that half the set is 9.6 and the most valuable book the lowest at 9.4.

I just dont think Secret Wars is a set that 99% of collectors are willing to shell out BIG BUCKS to have them all graded and signed.

There are so many keys and grails out there to spend thousands of dollars on.

Im the type of collector that would wait for the most coveted issues to be scooped up and then Ill pick and buy 1 from whats left.

I dont have a signature series in my Secret Wars set and it really wouldnt matter to me which signed issue I came away with.

At the end of the day, Id have one issue in my set signed by Shooter and Beatty and thats pretty cool.

Id prefer Zeck though.

Edited by lostboys

I appreciate all the feedback guys, thank you.

It is unfortunate that the worst grade here is the most sought after issue. Would it be a good idea to add a raw #8 issue to the listing? I could add in a sealed Secret Wars #8 comic book and action figure 2-pack that I’ve had for awhile. The comic has never been touched and is most likely a better grade than 9.4. I’ll attach a picture of what I’m talking about here. 

But yeah I’ll find similar listings that have been sold on eBay for each comic and add up the total, maybe throw a premium on it and see what offers I get.

In my opinion the remarques are really cool and unique (ofcourse bc they are what I asked for) so hopefully some potential buyers out there share the same view.

I’ve also been told by some ppl to maybe wait a few years for an Avengers Secret Wars movie/trailer to drop and try selling it then, but not sure how much influence that would have. 

Thanks again everyone! 0FF71579-E739-4261-8DD2-DF83A537FA32.thumb.jpeg.f91e19dadf4c8223580bd457c9a06c30.jpeg

On 9/22/2023 at 3:25 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Came here to say this

Of course neither of us explained the OP could just sign up for one month to get an idea where prices have been for those books without a long-term commitment if he's not actively selling or buying slabs.

On 9/22/2023 at 3:44 PM, Pontoon said:

Of course neither of us explained the OP could just sign up for one month to get an idea where prices have been for those books without a long-term commitment if he's not actively selling or buying slabs.

I went ahead and did this and very quickly I was able to get a solid and practical estimate of where I should be valuing these compared to recent sales and then again compared to the highest they’ve ever sold for. This site is awesome so thank you!