• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mystery pack worth it?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

A mystery box is virtually guaranteed to have some stuff in it that you don’t like, don’t care about, and don’t want.  There’s also a small chance it could have something worthwhile.  My math says “no way”, but you’ll also find collectors who view it differently.

Thanks. Yeah, I get it. I am still a newbee. But thanks for confirming my thought that store exclusives don't resell well.

BTW I found a great shop in my hometown that doesn't up-price ratio comics or variant covers and a great owner. I also had the chance to meet a comic owner who is about 1.5 hours away who will provide me some tips for how to know what to look for and what to avoid. He seems really nice

Mystery boxes are never worth the cost which is why there contents are hidden, especially these. There isn't even a "chase" to entice purchasing, it is just their overstock variants wrapped around a theme. I do not know how Unknown comics makes any money with the amount of licensing they do and the massive overstock they carry.

If you are really interested in something they offer watch there ebay store, every three months it seems they post a 20% off coupon with there already discounted prices. Picked up 10 X-Men (1991) blanks for $60 shipped vice the $100+ shipping on their website.

If you’re pretty sure you’ll get some comics you like independent of value, and there’s a chance of some good stuff, then go for it

if you care only about value, I’d say bet $100 each on Braves (+250) and Dodgers (+450) to win the World Series, or however many units you want, just make them equal.  

I've found with mystery boxes/bags that it's usually better to just go buy the stuff you want. In mystery bags you will almost always get some things you don't care about. And sometimes you might get something you think is really cool. But rarely will you like everything I'm it. And most times the best thing in the bag will probably not be all that exciting, while also not sucking completely.

You also have to remember that shops do mystery bags because they have extra stock of things that aren't being bought and it's an easy way to move items while still getting some money for them. You won't usually find anything of great value in a mystery bag where each issue comes out to about $6.25. Anything worth good money would have already sold, and the owners certainly aren't going to put a high value key issue in a mystery bag.

I used to do "mystery packs" at my comic shop in the 90's. To entice people to buy them, I would advertise hiding a Lady Death 1/2 (which was hot at the time lol) in one of the 20 I had made. Filled them up with other books, priced cheap - always sold them out to people who enjoyed the chase and always moved stuff that couldn't sell. Nothing wrong with that, but that's basically the gist behind every "mystery" package.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 9/23/2023 at 2:31 AM, DougC said:

Mystery boxes are never worth the cost which is why there contents are hidden, especially these. There isn't even a "chase" to entice purchasing, it is just their overstock variants wrapped around a theme. I do not know how Unknown comics makes any money with the amount of licensing they do and the massive overstock they carry.

If you are really interested in something they offer watch there ebay store, every three months it seems they post a 20% off coupon with there already discounted prices. Picked up 10 X-Men (1991) blanks for $60 shipped vice the $100+ shipping on their website.

Nonsense. I've bought and sold many mystery boxes over the years. It depends on the seller.  A lot of good sellers use them to move excess stock. Like anything, do your diligence.  If a seller has a good reputation, do you think they will risk it for a few bucks? If the seller has a bad reputation, you should avoid them, no matter what they are selling.

On 9/24/2023 at 8:08 PM, revat said:

If you’re pretty sure you’ll get some comics you like independent of value, and there’s a chance of some good stuff, then go for it

if you care only about value, I’d say bet $100 each on Braves (+250) and Dodgers (+450) to win the World Series, or however many units you want, just make them equal.  

And, how did that workout?

My answer is NO period. Never spend your money on a chance. I only spend my money when I know exactly I am getting.

There are no “free lunches” in life…