• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auction
2 2

78 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2024 at 12:24 AM, jick said:

Well I don't really post here but I guess I can't help but comment on these final prices because is this a sign that the roof is falling?  Is the OA market - at least for the budget pedestrian pages - crashing?

Yeah, that corner of the market has crashed pretty hard, but this auction was hilariously low(not funny if you were a consignor though)

I actually won 2 pieces last night, one easily at half what I thought it was worth. 
Don’t think I have won more than one piece from a single auction in 5 years or so. Was tempted to buy a few more pieces but I have my sights set on something in the next signature.

On 3/9/2024 at 7:37 PM, tth2 said:

Some decent prices on pieces I was following on Day 1 of the International auction:

Bolland Judge Dredd page -- $21,875

Phil Davis Mandrake the Magician Sunday -- $23,125

Raymond Flash Gordon/Jungle Jim Sunday -- $51,250

Don Rosa Anders And & Co. Splash -- $45,000 (this one really surprised me)

Terrific. That Bolland piece is jaw dropping in its detail.

On 3/9/2024 at 10:37 PM, tth2 said:

Some decent prices on pieces I was following on Day 1 of the International auction:

its a perfect one and done Life & Times page.      All 12 chapters represented in one shot.

I was offered the Dredd page years ago and realised that there was significant fading. I think it had originally been framed and if eg you compare the rear crowd figures in the printed page you can see that they’ve almost faded away entirely on the drawn page.

On 3/11/2024 at 4:46 AM, Bronty said:
On 3/10/2024 at 11:37 AM, tth2 said:

its a perfect one and done Life & Times page.      All 12 chapters represented in one shot.

Yeah, but still--$45k! 

On 3/10/2024 at 11:05 PM, tth2 said:

Yeah, but still--$45k! 

I wonder if the winner lives in Europe? Don Rosa is a rock star over there, and there are tons of devoted Duck fans. I guess at least a few of them have deep pockets as well. 

On 3/10/2024 at 11:05 PM, tth2 said:

Yeah, but still--$45k! 

Sure.   Don't get me wrong its more than I would have guessed too, but at the same time the kind of page where a big outlier price is less of a surprise after the fact because of the things the page has going for it.    In other words, I wouldn't get in a 45k pizzing match over it, but if I really had to get in that kind of a pizzing match on a Rosa interior, its a pretty good choice.

On 3/11/2024 at 9:37 AM, F For Fake said:

I wonder if the winner lives in Europe? Don Rosa is a rock star over there, and there are tons of devoted Duck fans. I guess at least a few of them have deep pockets as well. 

I think there's interest on both sides of the Atlantic.    But yeah my guess is that the winner lives in Germany.   I could be very wrong..

On 3/9/2024 at 10:37 PM, tth2 said:

Overall, I saw very few :whatthe: results, a lot of stuff that was in-line, and a lot of stuff that felt a bit squishy. :blush:  Me and some friends picked up some nice bargains on the lower end (the piece I bought I'm told was listed much higher on a European dealer's site previously) but there was a lot of stuff in the mid-range that seemed pretty  meh to me price-wise as well. 

Maybe the most surprising was the Herge Tintin piece which sold for $15K against a posted estimate of $30,000-$60,000. But there were plenty of other results that favored buyers over sellers I thought - IMO those two FF #27 pages went cheap ($22.5K each) given the content (even accounting for the George Roussos inks); the catalog cover painting only fetched $8.1K and the Kent Williams DD/Elektra painting only brought $10K, which seems stupidly low for a well-known piece with two very popular characters from that time period. 

That said, I'm still expecting very strong results for the upcoming (U.S.) Signature Auction as I suspect it will draw far more buyers than this mixed bag of European and U.S. art (lacking in marquee pieces, it has to be said) did.

image.png.19dfef761b1d376f903841e34c85b2ea.png

image.thumb.png.52f15753584da98a90dafe076ded77f7.png

Edited by delekkerste

On 3/12/2024 at 4:19 AM, delekkerste said:

IMO those two FF #27 pages went cheap ($22.5K each) given the content (even accounting for the George Roussos inks)

Didn't surprise me, as the Roussos inks were horrible.

I've noticed 1970's Marvel and to lesser extent DC action and battle panel pages are hitting new highs. While I don't have any specific examples my bids which I thought were solid contenders are getting totally blown out of the water. 

Then again it could be "Protection Bidding" from the usual shady suspects...

Edited by MAR1979

On 3/11/2024 at 5:05 AM, cheekyj2112 said:

I was offered the Dredd page years ago and realised that there was significant fading. I think it had originally been framed and if eg you compare the rear crowd figures in the printed page you can see that they’ve almost faded away entirely on the drawn page.

Oh my I totally missed that. Now I can't unsee it. Still an above average Bolland Dredd page.