• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Nov 16-19 Signature Auction
5 5

472 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2023 at 10:46 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Just a believer that Sienkiewicz's NM work has some real staying power and this page will do very well for the seller in a few years. His choice to show Xavier "screaming" his psi-thoughts was always particularly striking to me, considering most other X-artists depicted what would arguably be an assault on one's mental state in a more gentle, "polite" manner (Cockrum comes to mind). I sometimes wonder if Bill's take on psi-activity influenced the interpretation of Xavier as a public menace in Logan, for example. I suppose I wasn't up to date on Bill's NM w/o NM values, in the end -- otherwise I would have taken a crack at this page.

There's one particular "screaming Psi-Xavier page" that I will definitely pursue if it's ever available. Glad to hear of others in the thread for whom his work had no appeal; less competition for the rest of us!

I think that, despite the Liefeld Cap art selling so high, we are definitely not in the same market as we were in 2021. A friend had more than 60 pieces in the auction and he told me the end results were $50,000 lower than the HA estimates. Another friend was given a $6,000 estimate on a really early strip he consigned to HA and it only got $3,600 and he was very disappointed. He has three more coming up in the next Wednesday auction and he’s worried they’re not going to do well at all. I asked him last night if we plans to consign more to them and he was unsure. He has several more strips to auction, but he fears the low results of the big piece in this auction and the low bids on the ones in Wednesday’s auction means the other strips will sell even lower.

oh sure.   I don't think anyone's arguing otherwise.   However art has held up pretty well overall, largely because it really didn't rocket upward in the first place to the same degree that copper drek did.     Didn't rocket to the moon = doesn't need to fall back down so far.

Edited by Bronty

On 11/21/2023 at 12:15 PM, stinkininkin said:

I'm always interested in what the market is doing in regards to the Jim Lee art I'm associated with. A number of people commenting on how strong the Lee/Williams stuff was in this auction, but that Hush splash that went for 72k was definitely a six figure piece at the height of the market 18 months ago. The other Hush piece went low too IMHO. So the market HAS moved a bit.

I thought some of the X-Men art ended strong though.  The last page to X-Men 3 at $84K was much more than I would have guessed.  Even though it's got a decent team shot and is significant as the last Claremont page.  

On 11/21/2023 at 10:25 AM, Michael Browning said:

I think that, despite the Liefeld Cap art selling so high, we are definitely not in the same market as we were in 2021. A friend had more than 60 pieces in the auction and he told me the end results were $50,000 lower than the HA estimates. Another friend was given a $6,000 estimate on a really early strip he consigned to HA and it only got $3,600 and he was very disappointed. He has three more coming up in the next Wednesday auction and he’s worried they’re not going to do well at all. I asked him last night if we plans to consign more to them and he was unsure. He has several more strips to auction, but he fears the low results of the big piece in this auction and the low bids on the ones in Wednesday’s auction means the other strips will sell even lower.

Which is an example of why I don’t expect a lot of top notch art being placed for sale until either the market turns up again or people decide they have to get out. 

And yet some pieces were really strong . I am surprised nobody mentioned the Portacio UXM DPS. No Wolverine and yet about 100k!  So glad Portacio is getting some love . He was a bit hit or miss on XF and UXM but the good pieces are gorgeous !

More generally , late  ‘80s and ‘90s art seems to be leading the way at the moment 

On 11/21/2023 at 5:08 PM, Carlo M said:

And yet some pieces were really strong . I am surprised nobody mentioned the Portacio UXM DPS. No Wolverine and yet about 100k!  So glad Portacio is getting some love . He was a bit hit or miss on XF and UXM but the good pieces are gorgeous !

Yeah, I thought that one was really nice as well.  His X-Factor and the first few issues of Uncanny were him at his absolute prime.  

I thought some of the price was because it was the 1st full Bishop issue.  Not technically a first appearance, but sometimes gets marketed like it is. 

On 11/21/2023 at 11:25 PM, Michael Browning said:

Without knowing how realistic the estimates were, it's hard to judge whether your friends should really be disappointed or not.  Did they make a decent return on their original purchase price?