• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Nov 16-19 Signature Auction
5 5

472 posts in this topic

On 12/4/2023 at 6:09 AM, Rick2you2 said:

The Dow is up 9.3 percent since Jan. 1, 2023. On Dec. 15, 2022, the Prime rate moved up to 7.5%. It is now at 8.5%. 

That's nice, still...

On 12/2/2023 at 6:08 AM, Rick2you2 said:

That’s atypical.

False. 😉

On 12/4/2023 at 8:26 PM, batman_fan said:

Not sure about anyone else but I definitely get all my financial and stock investing advice from a comic book message board.  I declined purchasing Nvidia stock in 2020 because I was certain the stock certificates had been pressed and potentially trimmed.

Excuse me sir, this is a returns message board. Discuss returns or get out :rulez:

On 11/20/2023 at 10:01 AM, tth2 said:

Just noticed that there are some significantly superior BWS Conan panel pages in the Comiclink auction.  They should be a more fair gauge of the strength of the market.

Still not strong. 

image.png.c562fa83036d2519a238f82e54c95647.png

On 12/7/2023 at 12:44 PM, delekkerste said:

Still not strong. 

The quality of the artwork was better than what's been offered on Heritage, but the subject matter was still pretty blah.  Still not a decent clean panel of Conan in action.

But okay, you win, I concede that BWS Conan pages are deader than a doorknob.  Therefore, I'll generously offer to take some of your pages off your hands at a steep discount! :wishluck:

On 11/20/2023 at 10:59 AM, delekkerste said:

It's a high price, but, I think Marcos only did this one storyline?

There was an amazing page from this issue available at the Society of Illustrators sale recently that I was thinking about picking up, but, when I went back a few minutes later, a well-known dealer had already come in and scooped it up for his inventory. IIRC, it was priced somewhere in the $2Ks (if I'm wrong, it was somewhere in the $3Ks) and was better than the $4200 page above. 

@Brian Peck

Bechara posted the page for sale today at $3200:

image.thumb.png.7947809e18f15b3f6784f0d8a1f17e6c.png 

On 11/24/2023 at 6:04 PM, delekkerste said:

What about this unpublished Spy vs. Spy? You posted the image but didn't comment on it. :ohnoez: 

I liked it a lot and underbid it. Probably would have gone a little higher had I been watching it live and not just thrown in a proxy bid in advance. 

Wonder if that one had a matching 6 panel gaga like his published ones in Mad #125 and prior.

On 12/6/2023 at 8:44 PM, delekkerste said:

Still not strong. 

Seems like basic BWS Conan pages are flat price wise, and that's exactly what these are. Basic. Not terrible, but nothing that I, a hard core BWS Conan fan, would ever consider bidding on and buying. The true test will be if and when some exceptional pages get offered. 

On 11/24/2023 at 6:04 PM, delekkerste said:

What about this unpublished Spy vs. Spy? You posted the image but didn't comment on it. :ohnoez: 

I liked it a lot and underbid it. Probably would have gone a little higher had I been watching it live and not just thrown in a proxy bid in advance. 

The unpublished one went for $2880. 

Its really strange that the Spy vs Spy 1-pages from Mad Spy vs Spy paperbacks go for $4K and the vertical Spy vs Spy top tier from Mad magazine go for around the same amount. Yet the one from Mad (pior to issue #126) are twice the size on heavy illustration board. Which is crazy.

Its like a comic book cover by a big name artist is the same value as a cover of a magazine by the same artist and have the same characters. The paperback Spy vs Spy are is nice but the ones from Mad are far superior. Plus from issues #60 to #125 there was two parts to the Spy vs Spy gag an upper part of one panel with Prohias written in morse code and a bottom 2nd 6-panel gag. Both are 17x13. Many of the two tier Mad Spy vs Spy have been broken up. I feel lucky to own a complete two tier Spy vs Spy plus two Spy vs Spy vs Spy (Gray Spy was added for 20 gags in Mad magazine).

Brian

On 11/23/2023 at 8:42 AM, delekkerste said:

Surprised by the price? Yes.

Surprised that it fetched a record for this book? Not at all.

I didn't care for From Hell at all (going so far as to sell my TPB on eBay immediately after finishing reading it in the early 2000s), but, as far as important/memorable pages go, they don't get much/any better than this. Gull doing his nastiest work and then having a vision of the future...whenever I'm in East London, this scene always seems to pop in my head. :eek: 

Tom Coker posted this one to CAF