• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than a No.1 or First Appearance, what book of your Favorite Character would you like to own?
3 3

25 posts in this topic

The other early Spider-man appearances, especially the two early annuals.

Fantastic Four Annual 1
Strange Tales Annual 2
Strange Tales 115
Avengers 3
Strange Tales 119

If I'm honest and it wasnt about appearances:

Legion of superheroes Adam Hughes supergirl.

A Campbell sketch of a figure character signature series.

Many that I've found in bins but passed on because it was low grade, such as Wolverine 145 Nabisco, albedo 3, among others.

Beyond that, I'm sure there are more, but I've been blessed so that it is all good, and I hope and am glad that others have had those success stories. Even with these specific examples, as I admire those that are common minded.

I still see the boards post more cool stuff all the time, so let's just say to be continued. :)

After 40 years, Matt Wagner is pulling a George Lucus and redoing his original Grendel: Devil by the Deed. Dark Horse Comics is releasing the Devil by the Deed: MASTER EDITION this November. Primer 2 (Grendel's first appearance) and Grendel 1 (1983) are the grails of my collection. I will definitely consider this Master Edition (along with the original DBTD) as essentials for any Grendel fan. :banana:

There's also the Omnibus... but that's kinda cheating.

On 9/25/2023 at 7:20 PM, Krydel4 said:

For me, it would be a toss-up between these 2 books. I love them both for their historical WW2 covers. But I would probably go with the 17.

Superman_17_9-2.jpg

Superman_v.1_18.jpg

I'm not a Superman collector but these books are great.  I also like a few other classic Superman covers ... not remembering the numbers, but there is the one with the eagle and shield, the one where he's hit by lightning and it tickles, and the one where he's ringing the liberty bell at the microphone.  All fantastic.  I could imagine wanting to own one of those just because I like the covers so much.

I would also point out that whoever the artist is on your two covers above, he nailed Superman's physique.  At the risk of offending folks, which is not my intent, I think by the time you get to the Silver Age they gave Superman a really unappealing dad-bod with an upper torso / midsection that looks completely out of proportion.  That seemed to be Superman's basic look for over a decade, and it just looks really lame to me.  Nothing like how impressive he looks on these covers.

On 9/26/2023 at 1:45 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I think by the time you get to the Silver Age they gave Superman a really unappealing dad-bod with an upper torso / midsection that looks completely out of proportion

Wayne Boring.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Didn’t know about this issue until recently because of the Oppenheimer film, but I thought it looked very interesting as a Golden Age choice…

745437.jpg

I grew up on the Teen Titans cartoon and always had a soft spot for Monsieur Mallah and the Brain, so I've always been on the lookout for Doom Patrol 34. Beyond the sheer craziness of the story, Grant Morrison actually has some very interesting thoughts on the nature of body vs. consciousness and a good sense of humor.

Doom_Patrol_Vol_2_34.webp

Brain_versus_Cliff_Steele.webp

On 9/26/2023 at 2:59 PM, goblinjareth said:

I grew up on the Teen Titans cartoon and always had a soft spot for Monsieur Mallah and the Brain, so I've always been on the lookout for Doom Patrol 34. Beyond the sheer craziness of the story, Grant Morrison actually has some very interesting thoughts on the nature of body vs. consciousness and a good sense of humor.

Doom_Patrol_Vol_2_34.webp

Brain_versus_Cliff_Steele.webp

Great series, but I’ll suggest another option…

679261.jpg

On 9/26/2023 at 4:59 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thanks.  But also, isn't this Curt Swan?

On 9/26/2023 at 4:59 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thanks.  But also, isn't this Curt Swan?

Action Comics 246 - Rocket - Curt Swan

Wayne Boring drew some awesome cheesecake Superman covers and drew golden age Lois Lane the best