• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE to Shortboxed Shipping and Service issue
7 7

113 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2023 at 7:49 PM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

I don't know the people who work at shortbox but I am confident they are probably fairly small and don't have the resources yet to handle a few hundred emails a day between sales and consignors.

That’s because their team is small. But also, as someone who’s interacted with the SB staff, I can say they’re all wonderful people.

On 10/1/2023 at 8:14 AM, Gambold Vintage said:

Well, it's actually been a total of FOUR days that the seller could have gotten the package to USPS. Saturday is also a "business day" in the sense that you can drop stuff off at the post office and they will log it in.  My seller got the order on a Wednesday. Four days later it still wasn't received by USPS. That's a red flag, trust me. 

And my principal issue is more with Shortboxed, who have no customer service. You have to personally email them to some generic address, and they don't respond. There is also no way to contact the seller (and this can clear up a lot of issues).  Most online services offer a way for buyers and sellers to communicate anonymously.  

I buy and sell items on eBay every once in a while, and I also work two jobs. Just because the post office is open on a particular day, that doesn't mean that I can get there that day. I typically have one or two days a week when I might be able to stop by the post office (which where I live means standing in line for a good thirty minutes). I often need more than four days to ship out an item, and so do the sellers that I buy from. That's the reality of dealing with casual sellers.

Even many of the full-time comic dealers on eBay travel to cons over the weekend and aren't always able to ship immediately. One of my best sources typically takes about a week to ship books, but I've always been happy with his grades and his prices—and I've never failed to receive an item.

On 10/1/2023 at 7:37 AM, Gambold Vintage said:

My 30-years of online commerce experience tells me that it never will.  

You've been involved in online commerce since '93? eBay and Amazon weren't even founded until '95. What online sellers were operating in '93? I'm just curious. Even in the early 2000s, purchases on eBay were usually paid for with a check or money order. It was typical for sellers to wait a week or two for a check to clear before shipping an item.

I fail to see a problem here. Shortboxed may not be perfect but they have built a solid, well respected app and buy/sell option for many collectors. Nothing highlighted here showcases concerns about them for me. If anything, it just shows that sometimes there is such a thing as a buyer to avoid. If you had expectations of shipping within a certain time frame, perhaps you should have explored the ins and outs of shortboxed before you purchased 

lol patience grasshopper. With "30 years" internet buying experience you seem to have a bit of a hard on for a transaction that seems hardly overdue and response to an email over the weekend out of normal businees hours. Have all your other purchases been delivered within days?

I like Friday threads :cloud9:

On 10/1/2023 at 9:01 PM, Gambold Vintage said:

>You are whining to a group of people<

Actually the intent was to get the company's attention, since their response times are limited to California weekdays.  In that it was successful. 

It will make it easier for me to cancel the sale after it becomes obvious next week that the seller is never going to get the book shipped. I said easier, because of course Shortboxed has no method to formally provide feedback or ask for action.  There's just...email.

And for the record, the Shortboxed site promises shipping for "most orders" within 48 hours of purchase.  It wasn't a matter of how long it would take to arrive - I'm well aware it could be a week or more. The issue was the book was not shipped, 72 hours later. In my experience that means it isn't coming. Sellers almost never take more than a couple days to get stock out the door (unless they are Heritage). Once three or four days have passed, there is very little reason to believe it will ever happen.

>Most orders are confirmed instantly and ship out within 48 hours. Once shipped and tracking is updated, most packages will arrive within 2-3 business days.<

Also, I did just get a response from Shortboxed and they agreed something was amiss, and are looking into it. I can't help but think I got that email on a Sunday because of this forum thread. 

meh, we're all entitled to a bad day. Cut the OP a break

On 10/1/2023 at 9:01 PM, Gambold Vintage said:

>You are whining to a group of people<

Actually the intent was to get the company's attention, since their response times are limited to California weekdays.  In that it was successful. 

It will make it easier for me to cancel the sale after it becomes obvious next week that the seller is never going to get the book shipped. I said easier, because of course Shortboxed has no method to formally provide feedback or ask for action.  There's just...email.

And for the record, the Shortboxed site promises shipping for "most orders" within 48 hours of purchase.  It wasn't a matter of how long it would take to arrive - I'm well aware it could be a week or more. The issue was the book was not shipped, 72 hours later. In my experience that means it isn't coming. Sellers almost never take more than a couple days to get stock out the door (unless they are Heritage). Once three or four days have passed, there is very little reason to believe it will ever happen.

>Most orders are confirmed instantly and ship out within 48 hours. Once shipped and tracking is updated, most packages will arrive within 2-3 business days.<

Also, I did just get a response from Shortboxed and they agreed something was amiss, and are looking into it. I can't help but think I got that email on a Sunday because of this forum thread. 

you have not answered my question?
when did you contact SB about this matter?

On 10/1/2023 at 6:31 PM, Gambold Vintage said:

>What is California weekdays? <

A weekday (Mon-Fri) using PST time.  Which means that while Shortboxed may be open for customer support 9-5 in sunny LA, for those of us in New York they close at 2pm.  

Boy, I always thought NY was 3 hours ahead of Cali.  Learn something every day on these Boards.

On 10/1/2023 at 9:31 PM, Gambold Vintage said:

A weekday (Mon-Fri) using PST time.  Which means that while Shortboxed may be open for customer support 9-5 in sunny LA, for those of us in New York they don't open until 1pm.   

You’re explaining time zones. Not what a California weekday is.

On 10/1/2023 at 9:31 PM, Gambold Vintage said:

A weekday (Mon-Fri) using PST time.  Which means that while Shortboxed may be open for customer support 9-5 in sunny LA, for those of us in New York they don't open until noon.   

but it also means you have 3 more hours from 5-8est that the Californians do not (shrug)