• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detroit Comic Shops worth a visit?
3 3

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am visiting my parents in SW Ontario and will be popping over the border to see a football game.  It's been years since I've frequented any shops in Metro Detroit (i.e. Classic Movie & Comic Centre in Livonia back in the day) and was curious if there are any shops with good back issue inventory.  It seems there are so few shops that have good Gold, Silver, and Bronze stock these days!

I'm open to any and all suggestions (food, comic, or otherwise).  Worst case, there's a great rare used book store I'll check out along with a Coney Dog or two...

Cheers,

John

As stated, Vault of Midnight is good.  I've only gone to the Ann Arbor store but I guess there's one in Detroit. 

Big Ben's Comix Oasis in Allen Park isn't too far from Detroit.  Nice, chaotic place.

State of Comics is nice but it's in Plymouth. I think Sanctum Santorum moved out of Plymouth by now.

There's a place in Dearborn very close to Detroit called Green Brain.  But I've never been there, just too far.

North of Detroit is Liberty Comics. I think in Roseville.  Then in Clawson is GOB retail.   There are others too, but small and probably not worth the drive.

You mention Classic.  That was one of the LCS's I frequented growing up.    Back then there was so much competition.  There were 8 stores not far from where I lived.  4 of them owned by my friend Gary Reed, who started Caliber.  In fact, the competition was so great, one of my LCS' gave 30% discount off cover.  The others all gave 20%. Now there are so few to choose from and I don't know anyone giving discounts.

Anyway, just some options.

Big Ben’s is a must stop. Go to the Allen Park location. They have a new one I haven’t been to, but I believe it doesn’t have much in Silver and Bronze.

Time Travelers in Berkley will have enough Silver and Bronze to make in worthwhile.

Vault of Midnight and Green Brain seem to mostly have newer stuff. I have not been to the Detroit location of VoM yet though.

Stadium Cards and Comics in Ypsi probably has close to 40 long boxes of  Bronze, Copper, and Modern books and is a worthwhile stop.

As Sigur mentioned, Plymouth has, or had, two decent shops that would be worth visiting that are nice. Try Compari in downtown Plymouth for pizza and roasted garlic bulbs if you like garlic.

Clawson does have GOB and Warp 9 that are a mile or so from each other, so you can also get a two for one there too.

There are some decent places in the northeastern suburbs. I haven’t been to them in a while, and they have been a bit pricey when did visit them.

I remember Big Ben and Mike from Time Travelers from when they used to set up at the Toronto comic cons back in the late 80's, along with Harley.

Always bought stuff from Ben.  Mike was the funniest...you'd ask to see a book from his comic rack and he'd hold it a foot above your head, flat, and tell you the book is "impeccable".  I actually bought a few nice Silver Age Spideys from him.

Never bought anything from Harley.  He always had the books, but his prices were always a bit too much.

On 10/11/2023 at 10:43 AM, Robot Man said:

Being an old scrounger, I figured you had the whole state and surrounding ones covered Rick…:roflmao:

Better bargains at flea markets, antique shows, junk shops, auctions, garage sales, etc.
Which is not to say that I don't visit comic shops too,. but I live outstate, west of Ann Arbor. 
I'm as likely to land in Allegan as Allen Park. 

Edited by catrick339

On 10/10/2023 at 1:06 PM, piper said:

Hi,

I am visiting my parents in SW Ontario and will be popping over the border to see a football game.  It's been years since I've frequented any shops in Metro Detroit (i.e. Classic Movie & Comic Centre in Livonia back in the day) and was curious if there are any shops with good back issue inventory.  It seems there are so few shops that have good Gold, Silver, and Bronze stock these days!

I'm open to any and all suggestions (food, comic, or otherwise).  Worst case, there's a great rare used book store I'll check out along with a Coney Dog or two...

Cheers,

John

Have fun shopping for books and watching a Lions win. (thumbsu

On 10/11/2023 at 7:49 AM, catrick339 said:

Better bargains at flea markets, antique shows, junk shops, auctions, garage sales, etc.
Which is not to say that I don't visit comic shops too,. but I live outstate, west of Ann Arbor. 
I'm as likely to land in Allegan as Allen Park. 

I would agree but SO much harder to find decent vintage material out here anymore. But, I buy a lot of other stuff so I usually go home with something cool.

Your area is one that I have hardly scratched. I would imagine that it is the same every where though. 

On 10/10/2023 at 10:06 PM, piper said:

Hi,

Cheers,

John

Vault of Midnight: Vault of Midnight is a highly acclaimed comic book shop in Detroit. They offer a wide selection of comic books, graphic novels, tabletop games, and more. They also host events and signings, making it a hub for the local comic book community.

On 10/11/2023 at 8:53 AM, kimik said:

Have fun shopping for books and watching a Lions win. (thumbsu

I must be in the twilight zone because when were the Lions last relevant?  The 1950's?