• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I asked ChatGPT to write about a time traveler that collects comics...interesting!
1 1

41 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2023 at 9:53 AM, B2D327 said:

Ok, now after you wait for the coins to get shipped to you, possibly held by customs if purchased outside of Australia, would you have to fly to the US to purchase each book since the availability in your region may be nonexistent? How many different sellers would you have to make purchases from if the coins can only be obtained individually? Would you also have to purchase vintage Australian currency to facilitate each trip before going to the past? Round trip tickets for flights/ships? Getting a passport? My point being there are just too many factors to take into consideration with a time travel plot that are overlooked by “writers” that are pretty important imo.

Imagine traveling all the way to the past just to have to come right back to straighten out all that carp before attempting another trip 🤣

image.gif.49c3870fb77b9f3df0babc7fe2f6af1a.gif

On 10/17/2023 at 9:13 AM, B2D327 said:

Imagine traveling all the way to the past just to have to come right back to straighten out all that carp before attempting another trip 🤣

image.gif.49c3870fb77b9f3df0babc7fe2f6af1a.gif

:takeit:a coffee! Wth ??? Are you from the future?

ah-taco.gif

On 10/14/2023 at 11:22 AM, B2D327 said:

On top of the “altering history” plot hole, something that grinds my gears about time travel is how are people paying for the objects they’re purchasing from the past if the currency they travel with is from modern times? 10 cents wasn’t really a pittance 80 years ago so I find it hard to believe a merchant didn’t inspect a coin/coins enough to notice the difference in size and weight when they’ve been handling it on a regular basis, it being the most common form of payment for the time, something I think is an important aspect that “writers” never take into consideration 

image.thumb.jpeg.41ae83c0772bc10197742102e1837364.jpeg

I've thought about this problem, and figured that the solution would be to gather up the oldest bills you can currently find that aren't worth any more than the newest bills, go back in time to when they were new, exchange them for the oldest bills you can find that aren't worth any more than contemporary bills, and repeat the process until you have valid money from the time period you're buying from.

On 10/17/2023 at 8:38 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I've thought about this problem, and figured that the solution would be to gather up the oldest bills you can currently find that aren't worth any more than the newest bills, go back in time to when they were new, exchange them for the oldest bills you can find that aren't worth any more than contemporary bills, and repeat the process until you have valid money from the time period you're buying from.

I would just get the currency from the suitcase Doc Brown has in the time travel car that he already accumulated

On 10/17/2023 at 10:38 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Just goes to show, patience would need to be a time traveler’s strong suit 

On 10/17/2023 at 11:30 AM, B2D327 said:

Just goes to show, patience would need to be a time traveler’s strong suit 

Easy, travel to the future and find out how to live forever, then travel back to one point in time every 50 years until your the only one in town, but there are hundreds of you, selling for, working in all kinds of professions lol

:idea:

On 10/17/2023 at 12:34 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Easy, travel to the future and find out how to live forever, then travel back to one point in time every 50 years until your the only one in town, but there are hundreds of you, selling for, working in all kinds of professions lol

:idea:

OR…travel back in time and give the timepiece to a younger version of yourself and hope he doesn’t meet some unfortunate accident before he matures to the age you were when you went back in time to meet your younger self hm

ChatGPT eat your heart out. AI should stand for “amateur intelligence”

image.jpeg.79832b2434072f091237029e3d915c1b.jpeg

I also think it is a smarter venture if trying to obtain period currency to bring back items of value in the time machine to exchange/sell for the period correct currency. Gold items, jewels, etc.

Then you accumulate period correct currency in better condition for face value

On 10/17/2023 at 3:52 PM, Artboy99 said:

I also think it is a smarter venture if trying to obtain period currency to bring back items of value in the time machine to exchange/sell for the period correct currency. Gold items, jewels, etc.

image.jpeg.2163c30636904700e2f5cfb195089651.jpeg

On top of the “altering history” plot hole, something that grinds my gears about time travel is how are people paying for the objects they’re purchasing from the past if the currency they travel with is from modern times? 10 cents wasn’t really a pittance 80 years ago so I find it hard to believe a merchant didn’t inspect a coin/coins enough to notice the difference in size and weight when they’ve been handling it on a regular basis, it being the most common form of payment for the time, something I think is an important aspect that “writers” never take into consideration 

This "problem" you outline would be a non-issue for me, as I have decent quantities of many US paper and coin series issued since day one (I'm talking colonial times, too).  A benefit to being a multi-faceted collector, sure to come in handy when time travel becomes a reality in a few years.   :nyah:   

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/17/2023 at 3:52 PM, Artboy99 said:

1. Go to my spice cabinet and collect all of the bottles.

2. Travel back 500 years, trade for gold.

3. Travel forward to buy comics.

On 10/18/2023 at 12:53 AM, B2D327 said:

Ok, now after you wait for the coins to get shipped to you, possibly held by customs if purchased outside of Australia, would you have to fly to the US to purchase each book since the availability in your region may be nonexistent? How many different sellers would you have to make purchases from if the coins can only be obtained individually? Would you also have to purchase vintage Australian currency to facilitate each trip before going to the past? Round trip tickets for flights/ships? Getting a passport? My point being there are just too many factors to take into consideration with a time travel plot that are overlooked by “writers” that are pretty important imo.

And here I was thinking that building a functioning time machine was the main implausibility, rather than dealing with the logistics of eBay purchases. :eyeroll:

On 10/17/2023 at 10:42 PM, AJD said:

And here I was thinking that building a functioning time machine was the main implausibility, rather than dealing with the logistics of eBay purchases. :eyeroll:

Looks like the origins of the timepiece that started this whole clusterf*ck would be the least of one’s worries :roflmao:

On 10/14/2023 at 5:11 PM, VintageComics said:

Many jobs will be replaced.

Eventually, perhaps.  But not based on that story, at least.  It reads like a Little Golden Book (you can almost visualize the accompanying illustrations on the opposing page).  I wonder if ChatGPT "intentionally" wrote it like a children's book, or if that's all it can handle at this point?  Serious question.

On 10/18/2023 at 9:53 AM, Bookery said:

Eventually, perhaps.  But not based on that story, at least.  It reads like a Little Golden Book (you can almost visualize the accompanying illustrations on the opposing page).  I wonder if ChatGPT "intentionally" wrote it like a children's book, or if that's all it can handle at this point?  Serious question.

ChatGPT doesn't know jack about creating compelling characters.

On 10/18/2023 at 5:16 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

ChatGPT doesn't know jack about creating compelling characters.

No... but does it matter?  The public's taste today doesn't seem to demand much in that regard, seemingly preferring retreads and standardized cliches (see modern movies) to depth or nuance.  If you can, like Jackson Pollack, splatter the movie or game screen with colorful CGI, the public seems content enough.  

On 10/19/2023 at 9:03 AM, Bookery said:

No... but does it matter?  The public's taste today doesn't seem to demand much in that regard, seemingly preferring retreads and standardized cliches (see modern movies) to depth or nuance.  If you can, like Jackson Pollack, splatter the movie or game screen with colorful CGI, the public seems content enough.  

Well, when *anyone* can create something that *looks* impressive, or structurally seems to be a story, why would anyone bother to pay money to read a book, see a movie, etc., when they can just make their own. The ones with those elements that can't be recreated by a computer will be the ones worth spending money on.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:38 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Expand  

True, that would be a viable option if it didn't require much time / effort to operate your time machine, but if it runs off of plutonium or something like that, then you might want to just buy some affordable lower grade coins from a coin store, or bring with you some goods that were of great value for the time period you're visiting that you can use to barter (like some tulips if going back to 1636)