• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I asked ChatGPT to write about a time traveler that collects comics...interesting!
1 1

41 posts in this topic

Once upon a time in the quaint town of Willowbrook, there lived a young man named Theodore Blaine. Theodore was an unassuming librarian who had a peculiar secret: he was a time traveler. His days were spent cataloging dusty old books and helping patrons find the perfect novel to escape into. But when the sun dipped below the horizon and the library doors closed, he embarked on thrilling adventures through time.

Theodore's journey began one fateful evening when he stumbled upon a hidden room in the basement of the library. Inside, he found an antique leather-bound book with intricate diagrams and cryptic instructions. After translating the text, he realized it was a manual for a time-traveling device. The machine, an ornate pocket watch, allowed him to journey through the annals of history.

Theodore quickly became an expert in the art of time travel, mastering the device with each jump through the ages. However, his true passion lay in collecting rare comic books. He had always been an avid fan of the vibrant illustrations and fantastical tales that these graphic novels contained.

One day, Theodore decided to combine his love for time travel and comic books. He discovered that many iconic issues had been lost or destroyed over the years. To preserve them, he embarked on a mission to travel back in time to collect these precious gems. His first stop was the Golden Age of comics.

In 1938, Theodore found himself in the bustling streets of New York City, during the dawn of the comic book industry. He visited a newsstand and purchased the very first issue of Action Comics, which introduced the world to Superman. Theodore felt the weight of history in his hands as he clutched this invaluable treasure.

Theodore's quest continued as he journeyed to various eras, collecting iconic issues along the way. He acquired Amazing Fantasy #15, the first appearance of Spider-Man, in 1962, and he visited the 1940s to pick up Captain America Comics #1. His collection grew to include rare editions of Batman, Wonder Woman, and the X-Men. Each comic was a piece of history that he preserved within his own time-traveling library.

But Theodore wasn't just a collector; he was also a guardian of the comic book timeline. He made sure to replace each comic he took with a convincing forgery to avoid altering history. The originals were safely tucked away in a secret room beneath the library, accessible only through the time-traveling device.

As Theodore continued his quest, he found himself in various historical events, from ancient Egypt to the far-future. Along the way, he met renowned authors, artists, and creators who shaped the comic book world. He even helped some of them by providing insight from the future, aiding in the creation of legendary characters and stories.

Theodore's time-traveling adventures not only preserved the comic book history but also allowed him to experience the beauty of different eras. He developed a profound appreciation for the art, literature, and culture of each time period he visited. His passion for comics led him to become a guardian of the past, ensuring that the vibrant stories and colorful characters endured for generations to come.

And so, in the small town of Willowbrook, Theodore Blaine continued his double life as a librarian by day and a time-traveling collector by night, with his collection of comic books serving as a portal to the adventures of the past.

"But Theodore wasn't just a collector; he was also a guardian of the comic book timeline. He made sure to replace each comic he took with a convincing forgery to avoid altering history. The originals were safely tucked away in a secret room beneath the library, accessible only through the time-traveling device."

If the books survived, someone in that timeline has forged copies of Action Comics 1, AF 15, and other books that were picked up.

On 10/12/2023 at 5:49 PM, Hiro said:

He made sure to replace each comic he took with a convincing forgery to avoid altering history...

Along the way, he met renowned authors, artists, and creators who shaped the comic book world. He even helped some of them by providing insight from the future, aiding in the creation of legendary characters and stories...

He replaced the comics he took with convincing forgeries to avoid altering history, yet he provided authors, artists, and creators with insights from the future. I guess he forgot about the part where he didn't want to alter history.

On top of the “altering history” plot hole, something that grinds my gears about time travel is how are people paying for the objects they’re purchasing from the past if the currency they travel with is from modern times? 10 cents wasn’t really a pittance 80 years ago so I find it hard to believe a merchant didn’t inspect a coin/coins enough to notice the difference in size and weight when they’ve been handling it on a regular basis, it being the most common form of payment for the time, something I think is an important aspect that “writers” never take into consideration 

image.thumb.jpeg.41ae83c0772bc10197742102e1837364.jpeg

I’m sure that removing an Action Comics 1 from the past won’t have a butterfly effect that results in him returning to the present and finding it a devastated wasteland or inhabited by mutant zombies.

But then, I’m no expert.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/14/2023 at 4:22 PM, B2D327 said:

On top of the “altering history” plot hole, something that grinds my gears about time travel is how are people paying for the objects they’re purchasing from the past if the currency they travel with is from modern times? 10 cents wasn’t really a pittance 80 years ago so I find it hard to believe a merchant didn’t inspect a coin/coins enough to notice the difference in size and weight when they’ve been handling it on a regular basis, it being the most common form of payment for the time, something I think is an important aspect that “writers” never take into consideration 

If you’re making an exact copy of a GA comic book then that would require replicator tech, so you could also get sample coins from the desired time period from a numismatist source and replicate those exactly, with the right legal tender dates, I suppose.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/14/2023 at 5:47 PM, Dr. Balls said:

A computer that writes a story about stealing an original thing and replacing it with a forged thing hoping no one will ever be the wiser. hm

The emergence of evil AI.

It starts somewhere.

On 10/12/2023 at 11:57 PM, Superman2006 said:

He replaced the comics he took with convincing forgeries to avoid altering history, yet he provided authors, artists, and creators with insights from the future. I guess he forgot about the part where he didn't want to alter history.

To a fanboy nothing is more significant than the pamphlets.

Everything else is secondary.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/14/2023 at 10:22 AM, B2D327 said:

In movies, they always steal, barter, or get a job!

On 10/14/2023 at 12:47 PM, Dr. Balls said:

A computer that writes a story about stealing an original thing and replacing it with a forged thing hoping no one will ever be the wiser. hm

Many jobs will be replaced.

On 10/15/2023 at 2:22 AM, B2D327 said:

I don't see the problem. A quick ebay search tells me I can get period coins for a few bucks.

Screenshot_20231017-223427_eBay.jpg.08e4a0e208d79bfba3fa50bd800ae328.jpg

On 10/17/2023 at 7:39 AM, AJD said:

I don't see the problem. A quick ebay search tells me I can get period coins for a few bucks.

Screenshot_20231017-223427_eBay.jpg.08e4a0e208d79bfba3fa50bd800ae328.jpg

Ok, now after you wait for the coins to get shipped to you, possibly held by customs if purchased outside of Australia, would you have to fly to the US to purchase each book since the availability in your region may be nonexistent? How many different sellers would you have to make purchases from if the coins can only be obtained individually? Would you also have to purchase vintage Australian currency to facilitate each trip before going to the past? Round trip tickets for flights/ships? Getting a passport? My point being there are just too many factors to take into consideration with a time travel plot that are overlooked by “writers” that are pretty important imo.

Edited by B2D327