• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini Undersized DVD Insert Comics
2 2

43 posts in this topic

any news on rick & morty @yorick?

@MrWeenI haven't gone much into VHS yet for a few reasons. Availability, cost, diversity. Still have Half Priced Books garage sales resale shop shows with them, dvd's are most prevalent physical media, over 200 and counting comics from these and not just mainstream marvel and dc. vhs had some cool stuff too, but this thread i'm just really looking at dvd blu ray inserts. I absolutely want the frozen in ice batman vhs and the creepshow ones though. I do have the Zoids one so I got that going for me...which is nice.

@David Buckthe batman / dc coloring book: the coloring book is full sized, so I'm adding a note to that. 

20231030_224027.jpg

On 10/30/2023 at 8:44 PM, KolmarAvenue said:

any news on rick & morty @yorick?

Looks like your tag didn't work....  but I came back to visit anyway!

Sure, these are on top of a pile of DVDs....

IMG_20231105_110423965_HDR.thumb.jpg.cf26e9b88a5ecedd0d3b553db5deb816.jpg

You may note that my copy of Season 4 is from the collected set and may contain a comic in the "Normal" edition, but as both Season 3 and 5 have nothing but the DVDs inside, I doubt it.

How would CGC even label the booklet from Season 2?!!  :roflmao:

There's 2 Transformers ones I know of. One from a British set, the comic included was called 'The Beast Within', and one with an Australian Madman set which I've got, which was printed by IDW, included with a full set of G1 discs, and it tells where the other Gestalts were during the battle of Autobot City, iirc. Both of them are on the TFWiki.net if you need more info. 

Thanks for the info! I'm avoiding game comics or at least not actively chasing them. If they pop up at an lcs or con then i may grab them, but the number of dvd comics out there i need is still enough to keep me busy for a while! Here's some new acquisitions including a great Hellboy book from Germany. Hellboy is a property that is at the forefront / lead of dvds with comics (at least 6 distinct mini comics). One note is that the Flesh for the Beast "comic" is more manga than comic-it's thick. I don't know if I'd qualify it as belonging in this collection.

fleshforthebeast.jpg

hellboydietrollexe.jpg

Edited by KolmarAvenue
pics

On 11/29/2023 at 6:45 PM, KolmarAvenue said:

Thanks for the info! Do you know if these are in English or Japanese?

I believe the are in Japanese and have a transformer included with the comic. There should be English translations online though and there are some key first appearances in some of these.  I would kill for a set but they are not cheap.

On 11/28/2023 at 10:11 AM, KolmarAvenue said:

fleshforthebeast.jpg

So this was shrink-wrapped with the DVD?  I think for your set, you'd need the mini to be included INSIDE the dvd case for it to be valid.  This book looks too big to fit inside the case....

On 12/17/2023 at 2:59 PM, Yorick said:

So this was shrink-wrapped with the DVD?  I think for your set, you'd need the mini to be included INSIDE the dvd case for it to be valid.  This book looks too big to fit inside the case....

Yes, it was inside a box set and is too big to fit. I think I'll restrict them to having to fit inside the smaller bag/board that the rest are in. That does allow the mini hardcovers from DC to be included-which I'm onboard with. See the Batman Caped Crusaders DVD / mini HC above.

I wasn't able to find clear images of Flesh for the Beast and took a chance on it and paid for the lesson. Same as the DC coloring book which is a full sized coloring book so it got kicked out of the collection.

This latest arrival are teeny comics. Spiderman 3 Walmart Exclusive: Now with Best Buy announcing the end of physical media, this niche collection won't be having many new additions going forward.

spiderman3walmart.jpg

On 12/17/2023 at 4:34 PM, KolmarAvenue said:

Best Buy announcing the end of physical media, this niche collection won't be having many new additions going forward

Don't be too quick to dismiss dvd's!  I've been buying Laserdisc on the cheap for a while now...  I look forward to getting some cheap dvd's!

On 12/17/2023 at 8:10 PM, Yorick said:

Don't be too quick to dismiss dvd's!  I've been buying Laserdisc on the cheap for a while now...  I look forward to getting some cheap dvd's!

I have more dvd's than the average bear lolz. 

Another pic of the spidey 3 walmart exclusive for scale.

Undertaker by BOOM!

The Serenity box set from Best Buy is fantastic. It's a georgeous window foldout-very distinct and glad to have added it to my collection.

20231219_013016.jpg

20231219_013039.jpg

20231219_013110.jpg

20231219_013118_HDR.jpg

20231219_013447.jpg

Cool topic.  ComicsPriceGuide used to claim there was a Battlestar Galactica one from Futureshop, falling under the 2006 Dynamite series.  I tried for 10 years plus to find one, and eventually they removed the listing from their guide.  As best as I could determine, it never actually existed.  But, it still haunts/bothers me xD .

On 12/22/2023 at 9:13 AM, CBT said:

Cool topic.  ComicsPriceGuide used to claim there was a Battlestar Galactica one from Futureshop, falling under the 2006 Dynamite series.  I tried for 10 years plus to find one, and eventually they removed the listing from their guide.  As best as I could determine, it never actually existed.  But, it still haunts/bothers me xD .

Thanks! I've always been interested in obscure and off the wall comics. I'll keep my eyes out for Battlestar. There's quite a few that are International and were never distributed in the states. The Battlestar Galactica may be one of those. Off the top of my head besides the Hellboy Die Hex Troll there's Inception, Green Hornet, Star Trek, 30 Days of Night and several more from the UK, Germany, Australia, etc... Since the shipping runs so high I've held off on these since they'd be at least $30 delivered!

Couple more for your list:

• Legends of the Dark Crystal/Return to Labyrinth. Flipbook mini-comics that serve as previews of the Tokyopop manga of the same name. Two versions exist with very different covers; one previews Return to Labyrinth volume 1 and the other Return to Labyrinth volume 2. Both were distributed the same way, in three-film DVD box sets of Dark Crystal / Labyrinth / Mirrormask. Later runs of the box set include the volume 2 book, but as far as I know, they're not distinguishable without unsealing the box. Good luck.
  • Babylon 5. This 8-page mini-comic was a pack-in with Babylon 5: The Lost Tales, but only in a limited number of Best Buy exclusive "special editions". Already a rare book, many copies are in rough shape from being shipped underneath the plastic case clips. A few were also handed out at conventions or via one of the series' fan clubs, so it's possible there are 9.8 candidates out there, somewhere (I'm pretty happy with my 9.4).