• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Notice about X-Men Legacy 274 original cover -- USPS lost it
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Just a notice to any art buyers.  Last month I sold the original cover to X-Men Legacy 274 by Mark Brooks.  The wonderful USPS delivered the package to the wrong address in Florida in mid September.  The local post office admitted the error and said they were unable to recover it, and after some delay they have honored the insurance on the piece. I am still waiting for the check and will be refunding the buyer.  If it crops up, be aware that person should not have that art. 

If only there was some type of way to search which cover this was, like an engine you could type text into and it would auto-magicly return various results... maybe one day!:foryou:

This was a great Magneto/Rogue cover though! (and they were also together on the uncanny #274)

image.thumb.jpeg.1c1e0286c6956233867696909a638c99.jpeg

On 10/26/2023 at 12:47 AM, drotto said:

Just a notice to any art buyers.  Last month I sold the original cover to X-Men Legacy 274 by Mark Brooks.  The wonderful USPS delivered the package to the wrong address in Florida in mid September.  The local post office admitted the error and said they were unable to recover it, and after some delay they have honored the insurance on the piece. I am still waiting for the check and will be refunding the buyer.  If it crops up, be aware that person should not have that art. 

This is a good reminder to email the recipient the day a package is shown as "delivered" and confirm the same -- if it isn't there, it gives the recipient the ability to speak to the carrier immediately and track down any misdeliveries.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 10/26/2023 at 3:10 PM, KirbyCollector said:

This is a good reminder to email the recipient the day a package is shown as "delivered" and confirm the same -- if it isn't there, it gives the recipient the ability to speak to the carrier immediately and track down any misdeliveries.

We were in contact every step of the way.  He reported it first that the delivery was wrong, because from my end it said successfully delivered. They even accepted a signature from the wrong person.  (:

On 10/26/2023 at 3:27 PM, drotto said:

We were in contact every step of the way.  He reported it first that the delivery was wrong, because from my end it said successfully delivered. They even accepted a signature from the wrong person.  (:

I don't get it. The mailman scans a package to finalize a delivery; if the local manager checks the carrier e-logs, he can see which packages were delivered before and after yours on the route that day, thus narrowing down the misdelivery address (or possible streets) pretty easily. Questioning the carrier with this info should yield a positive answer as to the address... Hell, the time hacks alone for all three are almost as good as GPS data, this is childs play to figure out... what is wrong with USPS?

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 10/26/2023 at 3:46 PM, KirbyCollector said:

I don't get it. The mailman scans a package to finalize a delivery; if the local manager checks the carrier e-logs, he can see which packages were delivered before and after yours on the route that day, thus narrowing down the misdelivery address (or possible streets) pretty easily. Questioning the carrier with this info should yield a positive answer as to the address... Hell, the time hacks alone for all three are almost as good as GPS data, this is childs play to figure out... what is wrong with USPS?

No idea, they even knew where it was delivered incorrectly. They went back to the address, I guess were told by the resident that they did not have it, know nothing about it, and they listed it as unrecoverable. It was going to either a condo or apartment complex and was dropped off at the wrong building.  So yes, the carrier did everything wrong even with the new systems which pinpoint delivery spots almost to the inch.  

Then, they denied the claim twice, after we had the local post office admitting to the error.  We finally reached a real person, and they said we did not prove value.  I said you have the PayPal transaction number and printout with the amount, and the message chain copies where we agreed on the price. At that point they finally agreed to the claim.

On 10/27/2023 at 8:56 PM, christosgage said:

Oh snap, I wrote that one. Mark's covers on that run were stunning. I'm really sorry to hear this happened and hope it's recovered.

Last thing I wanted.  The new owner was really looking forward to getting it, and I had made the difficult decision after owning it for about 8 years to part with it. He had inquired about it over a several month period before I said ok. I had bought it from Mark at NYCC. I was told, at the time, it was one of his wife's favorites.  

Really not looking good right now. USPS, investigated the error. They did determin where it went, but said it was not there.  I have no idea how that is even possible.  I highly doubt the person who recieved it has any clue what they have.

On 10/27/2023 at 11:02 PM, drotto said:

Last thing I wanted.  The new owner was really looking forward to getting it, and I had made the difficult decision after owning it for about 8 years to part with it. He had inquired about it over a several month period before I said ok. I had bought it from Mark at NYCC. I was told, at the time, it was one of his wife's favorites.  

Really not looking good right now. USPS, investigated the error. They did determin where it went, but said it was not there.  I have no idea how that is even possible.  I highly doubt the person who recieved it has any clue what they have.

I would guess the person who accidentally got it knows it has value because they had to sign for it but they don't know what that value is. Hopefully they will try to sell it and at that point the unique nature of the piece will result in it being reported and you'll get it back.