• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC lost my books. Batman 251 Green Lantern 87
2 2

38 posts in this topic

I submitted 2 vintage age books to CGC and they were received by CGC on 75/23. When it passed the 30 work day window, I started calling CGC weekly to see if everything is okay. I was assured they were okay. Last week Shasta from Claims notified me my books were indeed lost by CGC. She requested photos and I provided high res close up photos of both books within hours of the request. It’s been over a week and I still don’t know if I’ll be made whole. I don’t know if I’ll be reimbursed or if CGC will pay for replacement books of equal grade based on my photos. I’m concerned this will never be resolved and they’re hoping they’ll eventually show up.  

• Administrator

Hi

I am sorry this has happened to you.  Shasta is very good regarding claims.  I will be willing to check on this.  Please PM me your submission number, and customer id number if you would like me to assist you.

Mike

Thanks everyone! I’m just losing hope they’ll turn up and I’m concerned CGC won’t reimburse me for the lost property. Unfortunately Shasta, head of claims, has repeatedly missed her own projected dates to provide answers and is asking for more time to search for the books. I sent her high res photos of the books back on 10/17, within 3 hours or her request. CGC has been looking for months. Not sure why they think a couple more days will make the difference. I had these dry cleaned and pressed back in June and was excited to see the potential grade bump. Now I'm out thousands of dollars without any answers from CGC. 

My cynical self is saying...

They don't need a couple more days to look for it. They need a couple of days to decide what the cheapest course of action would be.

BTW - did you ask them to check the video? It sure seems like I ask this quite often, but it never seems to help CGC with these kind if issues. (Why, again, does CGC have cameras? Or did they have their fingers crossed when they said they have them?)

Edited by Gaard

Thank you! I can email Shasta about it on Monday. I think they are hoping they’ll just pop up without having to stop and look for them. I don’t know if they would be able to track the books from camera footage. They might still be in the Gemini mailer so they would be difficult to spot. I just hope it’s resolved soon. I heard horror stories from my LCS of lost books at CGC taking up to year to be resolved. Hope it’s exaggeration. 

On 10/30/2023 at 9:02 AM, CGC Mike said:

@ArtRock1600  These have been located.  We are hoping to ship them back to you tomorrow.

And there u go.  So it turns out to be true, they did need more time to locate your books.  I'm sure they would've made good anyway, just wanted to exhaust all avenues b4 having to make a payout.  It may have been better of they couldn't find it because u could probably get something better from THE VAULT

Bad news! They only found 1 book. Mike was given bad information. I thought I was getting both books back but that was a lie. They think they found my Batman 251 and it’s getting graded now. Hopefully it wasn’t damaged when it was lost these last 4 months. But the Green Lantern 87 is still missing. It had low/mid 9s potential and they offered me $400 since I submitted it in the vintage tier. I paid just under $1,000 for it and had it cleaned/pressed. I’m a new CGC customer and didn’t know the estimated value is basically an insurance claim in case CGC loses your books. I thought it was based on what I think I can sell the book raw in its current state not it’s future potential after grading. I’m deeply disappointed CGC has no intention of fixing their mistake and is just looking to push me aside instead of making me financially whole for losing my property. 

On 11/2/2023 at 10:02 AM, ArtRock1600 said:

I’m a new CGC customer and didn’t know the estimated value is basically an insurance claim in case CGC loses your books.

First off, I'm sincerely sorry for your loss.  :foryou:
For any/all who may stumble upon this tragic thread, learn the rules before playing the game:  :preach:

DeclaredValuePolicy.png.6e7d13dc6439431170324955572683d4.png

So they "found" the cheap book... unfortunately you are probably only going to get $400 due to how you declared the value (and your original fees). This is an expensive and very tough lesson about how CGC does business. You can still try your best to get more as they have admitted fault but your options are likely limited after they tell you to kick rocks.

On 11/3/2023 at 3:28 AM, Gaard said:

Don't understand. There's a question as to whether or not it's yours?

I assume, we know what that means, that CGC has found, I'll say, a lost Batman 251 and it may be the one ArtRock1600 submitted or, if not, it was submitted by someone else; unless CGC has (lost) copies of Batman 251 throughout its building/s.

Of course, I am making a bad joke; I hope.

I'm starting to get a little worried about a signature ( Michael Keaton ) comic that was received on 9/8/23. It's been in the Grading/Quality Control phase for a while now. I've e-mailed and phoned CGC but no one can give me a straight answer on where the book is. Should I will call every day until I get a definitive answer ?