• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You paid what for that?
1 1

213 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2023 at 5:49 PM, VintageComics said:

I actually don't dislike those as much as I used to, but people change out the orange lamps for clear ones these days and the early 2000 models start to look a lot more like later models. 

I just can't get into those later models. 

I grew up on 911s and 930s from the 80s and 90s and those things were raucous. 

ps. That's not a 911. :devil:

I only drive cars that come in Male. 

I know, it’s a Boxster. Seemed appropriate for a Hippie with girl’s hair!

On 10/31/2023 at 6:26 PM, 1950's war comics said:

i have a decent one...

DSCN3749 - Edited.jpg

It looks like you've been using my phone. lol

On 10/31/2023 at 2:15 PM, VintageComics said:

We had a discussion about Whitman variants and why they never seem to have taken off the way other variants do. 

I have some collecting friends who are sitting on these and still expecting them to really take off at some point. 

image.thumb.jpeg.55bd37819c8fbb1edc8dea4ee08f9fd6.jpeg

someday they might take off, i never expected Spidey Superstories to ever be worth anything..

On 10/31/2023 at 6:34 PM, 1950's war comics said:

someday they might take off, i never expected Spidey Superstories to ever be worth anything..

I auctioned off the 1st Spidey Super Stories #1 9.8 in a VERY long time many years ago. I think it was on Clink. 

The thing went for something silly like $1100. This would have been around 15 years ago.

On 10/31/2023 at 2:29 PM, davidpg said:

I was at Roger's Time Machine back in 2008 and only had a bit of money to spend on books that trip.  I grabbed the abobeve Exciting, and took this bok as well.  I actually passed up a pretty good looking issue of a Centaur Detective Eye (can't remember which one).  Looking back, I really did make the wrong choice on that one... 

Was it one of these?

image.jpeg.5eede009fe824f66c709eb0fdbad70c3.jpeg

image.jpeg.acbcc4c7b9a9e82e383988b65c6a3832.jpeg

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/31/2023 at 10:34 PM, 1950's war comics said:

It was inevitable that the classic Thanos Copter issue would take off.

On 10/31/2023 at 5:33 PM, VintageComics said:

A meeting between Dave and I wouldn't be a meeting if we didn't share our love of Porsches. 

I've been a lifelong fan since about 1985 and even worked for them at one time. 

My first boss out of college (so around that time) owned a Porsche.

Although I think it spent as much time in the shop as it did the company parking lot....

On 10/31/2023 at 8:35 PM, ttfitz said:

My first boss out of college (so around that time) owned a Porsche.

Although I think it spent as much time in the shop as it did the company parking lot....

Do you know what year it was?

1970's? 1980's?

Spoiler

Of all the exotics out there, German ones were always the most reliable.

Italian and English cars were glorious works of art visually, and they were full of character when driven - it was their quirkiness that gave them character, but good God man, sometimes you couldn't even go to the corner store without it breaking down on you. They were NOTORIOUSLY bad. 

Porsches and Benz's on the other hand had pretty good reputation comparatively. Benz's in particular were bulletproof. Remember, Porsches were tuned hard for racing unlike Benz's.

In the 1970's MOST cars were problematic. We didn't have the tech then that we have today so everything had a weird hybrid fuel systems.

At this time, Porsche had a system called "Mechanical Injection" which was basically a high pressure diesel injection system adapted for gasoline.

This is a top down view of the intake and injection system.

image.jpeg.2915d37fc6845ddf625b584bcb46d27c.jpeg

The problem with that system and it was quite complicated to set up, was that it had a ZILLION moving parts. 

The engine was a 6 cylinder, so there were six "intake stacks" - one for each cylinder, and so that meant six throttles, six injectors, six fuel lines and about 15 pieces of mechanical LINKAGES TO TIE IT ALL TOGETHER.

You had one big linkage from your gas pedal to the engine in the back That's the thick bar at the bottom end of the picture above, going across the entire engine) and then a zillion little linkages branching off all over the engine. It literally looked like something out of a 1950's science fiction movie. lol

image.jpeg.aa90bfba13e08d618b4903cb34d20c5a.jpeg

And that central "pump" that pressurized and distributed the fuel to the injectors?

This is what it looked like apart. :eek:

Good luck fixing that without any professional training.

image.jpeg.418305f5ebb3acf8d5eacafc91eb695a.jpeg

This is what a 911 engine with Mechanical injection looks like out of the car.

Front.

image.jpeg.abb9e7e1f998001019a818c8f5991a22.jpeg

Back.

image.thumb.jpeg.6fc5f18e5f7d6d97c4e328d85599c336.jpeg

Because there was so much experience needed to set up those early 70s 911's, they were extremely difficult to get to run properly and most people didn't know how to work on them. But if you knew how to set it up, it was pretty magical.

For the record, I never learned how to set one of those up even after 22 years in the industry. lol

But man, what a sound. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/31/2023 at 4:42 PM, 1950's war comics said:

Spidey Superstories were pure drek back in the day , except for #1 they were not even worth cover price ...

have to admit i missed the boat on those though and now nearly 50 years later they are sort of cool !!

Comic Books covers keep getting cooler every year . I like a lot of stuff I never used to give the time of day to . 

On 10/31/2023 at 9:45 PM, VintageComics said:

Do you know what year it was?

1970's? 1980's?

Hide contents

Of all the exotics out there, German ones were always the most reliable.

Italian and English cars were glorious works of art visually, and they were full of character when driven - it was their quirkiness that gave them character, but good God man, sometimes you couldn't even go to the corner store without it breaking down on you. They were NOTORIOUSLY bad. 

Porsches and Benz's on the other hand had pretty good reputation comparatively. Benz's in particular were bulletproof. Remember, Porsches were tuned hard for racing unlike Benz's.

In the 1970's MOST cars were problematic. We didn't have the tech then that we have today so everything had a weird hybrid fuel systems.

At this time, Porsche had a system called "Mechanical Injection" which was basically a high pressure diesel injection system adapted for gasoline.

This is a top down view of the intake and injection system.

image.jpeg.2915d37fc6845ddf625b584bcb46d27c.jpeg

The problem with that system and it was quite complicated to set up, was that it had a ZILLION moving parts. 

The engine was a 6 cylinder, so there were six "intake stacks" - one for each cylinder, and so that meant six throttles, six injectors, six fuel lines and about 15 pieces of mechanical LINKAGES TO TIE IT ALL TOGETHER.

You had one big linkage from your gas pedal to the engine in the back That's the thick bar at the bottom end of the picture above, going across the entire engine) and then a zillion little linkages branching off all over the engine. It literally looked like something out of a 1950's science fiction movie. lol

image.jpeg.aa90bfba13e08d618b4903cb34d20c5a.jpeg

And that central "pump" that pressurized and distributed the fuel to the injectors?

This is what it looked like apart. :eek:

Good luck fixing that without any professional training.

image.jpeg.418305f5ebb3acf8d5eacafc91eb695a.jpeg

This is what a 911 engine with Mechanical injection looks like out of the car.

Front.

image.jpeg.abb9e7e1f998001019a818c8f5991a22.jpeg

Back.

image.thumb.jpeg.6fc5f18e5f7d6d97c4e328d85599c336.jpeg

Because there was so much experience needed to set up those early 70s 911's, they were extremely difficult to get to run properly and most people didn't know how to work on them. But if you knew how to set it up, it was pretty magical.

For the record, I never learned how to set one of those up even after 22 years in the industry. lol

But man, what a sound. 

A friend bought a 1966 911S in 1970. The day he had to replace a heater box(ran over something)

for $1500, yes $1500, he sold it. I did get to drive it once, though; it handled like a slot car. Fun, fun, fun!

On 11/1/2023 at 4:29 AM, Spawnfreak said:

A friend bought a 1966 911S in 1970. The day he had to replace a heater box(ran over something)

for $1500, yes $1500, he sold it. I did get to drive it once, though; it handled like a slot car. Fun, fun, fun!

I was a mechanic for 52 years, and about those English cars?-do you know why the English drink warm beer?-wait for it- because their refrigerators were made by LUCAS!:devil:

On 11/1/2023 at 4:32 AM, Spawnfreak said:

I was a mechanic for 52 years, and about those English cars?-do you know why the English drink warm beer?-wait for it- because their refrigerators were made by LUCAS!:devil:

As I post this from the service department at the second largest Jaguar Land Rover dealer in North America....... ;)

On 10/31/2023 at 12:08 PM, shadroch said:

In 1964, I was playing ball and found a five-dollar bill.   I'm pretty sure I'd never had that much money.  I treated my whole neighborhood to five-cent Italian Ices and bought a massive bag of chips for a quarter.  One of the older kids had a shiny new JFK half-dollar, which he traded to me for a dollar.  My older sister stuck her nose in and made us reverse the trade. 

I initially read this as "My older sister stuck it in her nose," which, to me, would be a definite "No Returns" policy type of thing.