• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action comics # 33 ( San Francisco Pedigree)
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Ah just joking. I mean not literally everything. I'd be proud to own that book too. Don't blame you for creating a new thread just for it. Gorgeous copy. 

By the way what do you think that stamp on the back says? 

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

On 10/30/2023 at 7:16 PM, action1kid said:

I know what it says. Riley. The owner of the San Francisco collection . It’s one of the identifying marks of the collection , along with the G. Code and numbers on the front page.

Ok good. So you think it says Reilly? Without getting into the whole conversation of it I notice this book came out around December of 1941. Tom, if he did exist, probably would still have been living at home therefore bought this one himself. I have wondered if any later books from like 43 to 45 still had that stamp on it or if it's just the earlier ones. 

On 10/30/2023 at 8:42 PM, MrBedrock said:

It sorta looks like "Geo Reisly".

I can't tell if your messin or not but yeah could be. 

On 10/30/2023 at 8:03 PM, action1kid said:

Depends who was doing the stamping.

I can't see how the person doing the stamping would change the stamp but I guess , well, uh, um, maybe. 

On 10/30/2023 at 8:06 PM, action1kid said:

The stamp does clearly say Tom Reilly.

On 10/30/2023 at 9:04 PM, RareHighGrade said:

That depends on your definition of the term "clearly."  As one who has spent a lot of time trying to discern what the stamp says, I must clearly disagree.

If I had to guess what that 1st letter or symbol is I would say more likelty a capital T than anything else. And it does look like the 2nd part is very likely the word Reilly but I can't be sure. 

Back to the book. You know some people call it the Poor Man's Action 1. But if it's an 8.0 San Fran copy I think Upper Middle Class Action 1 would be more appropriate. 

On 10/30/2023 at 11:13 PM, action1kid said:

Here’s the Reilly stamp on the Hangman # 3

IMG_8599.png

Too much ink on the stamp that's all. Oh I see why you showed that one. July 1942, so bought around May 42 probably. I was wondering about the later issues because if it does say Tom Reilly I could see a young guy with a stamp of his name putting it on his comics. Wouldn't think his parents would do the same and if he was kia in 45 I would think he would have been in boot camp by early 1944 the latest . Just specualtion.