• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,381 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2023 at 12:34 PM, mosconi said:

I haven't read this entire thread and don't know if this has been suggested already, but how about finding his home address and someone going in person with law enforcement to reclaim all the stolen property.  If he refuses to answer his door, obtain a search warrant to recover the stolen goods in his possession/property and put an end to this fiasco... 

Just saw your comment Mr. Zipper and looks like we are thinking alike (thumbsu 

On 12/14/2023 at 12:41 PM, mosconi said:

I believe a search warrant with law enforcement involved would be a solution that does not involve Mike's assistance or approval...

The Police are not going to do a search warrant unless they agree it’s a high enough level crime and go looking for evidence.  You can’t just ask them to do one. A Judge would also have to sign off on it. 

On 12/14/2023 at 11:08 AM, CAHokie said:

The Police are not going to do a search warrant unless they agree it’s a high enough level crime and go looking for evidence.  You can’t just ask them to do one. A Judge would also have to sign off on it. 

I thought someone mentioned he may have over a million dollars in stolen goods at this point.  I would venture to guess that's a pretty high enough level of crime to have a judge sign off on a search warrant, if that's an accurate figure and documentation can be provided to the court? hm  

On 12/14/2023 at 2:15 PM, mosconi said:

I thought someone mentioned he may have over a million dollars in stolen goods at this point.  I would venture to guess that's a pretty high enough level of crime to have a judge sign off on a search warrant, if that's an accurate figure and documentation can be provided to the court? hm  

That’s the thing. Getting enough documentation and people willing to move forward. Even then, the Police/Courts will have to agree it’s worth pursuing criminally and not just say, “It’s a civil matter, you can take him to court.”

On 12/14/2023 at 2:17 PM, CAHokie said:

That’s the thing. Getting enough documentation and people willing to move forward. Even then, the Police/Courts will have to agree it’s worth pursuing criminally and not just say, “It’s a civil matter, you can take him to court.”

Even if they decide its a criminal matter and get a search warrant for the stolen property, would the owners even get their books back right then and there? Wouldn't the books be seized as evidence until the case is settled?

On 12/14/2023 at 2:19 PM, JC25427N said:

Even if they decide its a criminal matter and get a search warrant for the stolen property, would the owners even get their books back right then and there? Wouldn't the books be seized as evidence until the case is settled?

It would take many months for the police to build a case to present to a judge. Then anything seized would likely be held for a long time until the legal matter is settled. There is no quick fix with the legal system.

The best case scenario is the detectives assigned would pay HR a visit and give him the opportunity to resolve the matter before the case proceeded any further. This is why I was suggesting a third party administrator solution for the most efficient way to resolve. Mike can move on and hopefully regain his health and people get their books back. But I understand and appreciate the landmines in that scenario as well. 

On 12/14/2023 at 1:00 PM, wardevil0 said:

The problem with this is that if Mike released the books to anyone other than their proper owners he would definitely make himself vulnerable to liability.  It also assumes Mike has an organized record keeping system that definitively links each book to its rightful owner and not just a stack of Silver Age keys on a TV tray.

The vast majority of people who have filled out the survey have explicitly stated they just want their books back (forget about any refunds on all the money they spent) and would be open to third parties shipping them out in however way they can.

It is as you say as well though, while we can confirm owners of certain books it comes down to the system at HR to figure out which of those are the exact issues (as there are several Amazing Fantasy #15s there for example), and even some that I know do NOT have invoices or records for them (my book for example. I know 100% which one it is, I've seen pictures of the current state, it has even been shown in some of the video interviews he did before all this...but there isn't a record other than on my end in my email discussions with Mike - I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't create an official invoice/record for it. So any third party going through the invoice records might not know who that Tales of Suspense #39 belongs to - same goes for any other off the cuff work he took on)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 12/14/2023 at 6:54 PM, mosconi said:

Not sure if I understand this, but are all his charges still pending and is he currently in custody? :o

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the 'security' column is probably in regards to bail. Is this him?

Lebanon, OR is in Linn County, and Mike DeChellis is referred to as Michael D. DeChellis as owner of Hero Restoration. Yikes.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 12/14/2023 at 8:54 PM, mosconi said:

Not sure if I understand this, but are all his charges still pending and is he currently in custody? :o

Security probably means "bail" and that is pending, hence he is still in custody. He can't pay his bail. I truly hope he can bounce back from this for everyone's sake. 

This cinches it. Earlier I was thinking forget the suggestions of going to the local TV news and newspapers. This has all the makings of a good Netflix documentary. Obviously not Tiger King level but certainly some meme worthy moments like the dog ate my chickens excuse.

When my friend told my wife and I his ex girlfriend was in a thing called Twin Flames in 2018 and we looked it up quick and said “Oh Yeah, that’s a cult!” never did we imagine not only would there be a Netflix documentary but that she would be in it. 😂 All of our coworkers had already seen that one before we had even asked.

I know my wife and her coworkers would find a lot of what has transpired and even the fact it centers around the topic of comic book restoration to be highly interesting. Coincidentally they are all attorneys.

Yeah, I can confirm this is the same Mike. He told me a little while back he got into a DUI but didn't elaborate so I guess this is what it was. yikes.

I will make time to call the Linn Sheriffs dept and perhaps loop them in on the context but we need someone local on the ground who can deal with this in person. We need to figure out if anyone is managing his estate (I know he had a lawyer before when stuff was stolen awhile back, maybe they are still retained?)

Edited by Sauce Dog