• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,375 posts in this topic

Screenshot_20240119-201426.thumb.png.13ce83d9a0463aa4484a4761b8e9d6d6.png

On 1/19/2024 at 8:05 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Anyone going to inquire on eBay if it's one of the stolen ones?

Anyone who has the time/inclination (it takes like 5 seconds) might consider clicking the "Report Item" link in the listing, reporting the item as possibly fraudulent, and providing a link to this forum thread. The more people who do, the more likely eBay is to investigate the account. It might make it more difficult to list stolen books, if that's in fact what is happening. If not, there's a response mechanism through which the seller can provide provenance for the item he is selling.

EDIT:

To anyone having difficulty navigating the menu options when reporting an eBay item as potentially fraudulent as a private citizen, see the photo below for the drop down options you should choose. Also, in the comments field, you can write something to the effect of: "User appears to be selling stolen items. See following thread for details: URL".

Screenshot_20240119-224822.thumb.png.c6e301b1831611053eb28f9bfe47c3c7.png

Edited by Kripsys99

On 1/20/2024 at 1:02 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I don't often like to call out specific users here, but I need to just make a statement.

The user Flake Tapper has posted here talking about pursuing legal action, and several users have had communication with them and stated they feel red flags are popping up. I am not saying they are serious or not, I am simply recommending anyone conversing with them be mindful of what information they are sharing. 

It just seems very odd to me that someone serious about taking legal action is hesitant to even tell anyone of us what books they submitted to Hero Restoration - to that end they have refused to fill out the survey so I can't even confirm they are a victim. It is also odd that they are not at all interested in obtaining a list of contacts from me of victims who have already expressed interest in taking legal action, nor are they interested in communication with me, the one and only person on the boards that Mike has remained in contact with.

Hi:

This is directed at you and to the other person who responded. 

We all want to protect each other.

We are not afraid of Mike. 

We will be finalizing our strategy on Monday. 

All that we ask is that you meet us on a zoom call and we can both see each other.   We will then detail all that we lost and we can move forward together. 

If we were Mike or you were concerned we are affiliated with him we wouldn't want to meet on a zoom call and prove who we are.  There is no upside to us giving one person all of our information,  the same as there is no upside to you giving us all of your information.   But if we talk live you will understand the gravity of our situation and yours.

Hope to see you soon.

Thanks again. 

On 1/19/2024 at 9:39 PM, Flake Tapper said:

Hi:

This is directed at you and to the other person who responded. 

We all want to protect each other.

We are not afraid of Mike. 

We will be finalizing our strategy on Monday. 

All that we ask is that you meet us on a zoom call and we can both see each other.   We will then detail all that we lost and we can move forward together. 

If we were Mike or you were concerned we are affiliated with him we wouldn't want to meet on a zoom call and prove who we are.  There is no upside to us giving one person all of our information,  the same as there is no upside to you giving us all of your information.   But if we talk live you will understand the gravity of our situation and yours.

Hope to see you soon.

Thanks again. 

There are a lot of "we" references in this post.  @Sauce Dog, I fear the Borg might be coming for you...

On 1/19/2024 at 11:54 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

The eBay account is responding to messages about the book for sale, FYI.

I know Mike does in fact own a CGC copy of Startling #47 (since at least 2017), so it's not necessarily a customer book (unless someone has recognized it?) 

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 1/19/2024 at 11:02 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I know Mike does in fact own a CGC copy of Startling #47 (since at least 2017), not it's not necessarily a customer book unless someone has recognized it? 

You’d think he would put a better description than buy my chit if it was his book.

I also got a kick out of his ASM 129 sale with the “I forget who” unverified signature that is clearly Gerry Conway.  This man was supposed to be an industry pro?  

On 1/19/2024 at 11:29 PM, DougC said:

It is also just an interesting coincidence that both new people are CGC specific forum savvy to know how to block profile views before posting

Yep, I posted that immediately after she showed up with the bomb post but her info was so juicy it seemed to be glossed over.

As far as the listing, good job by you guys.

IMG_1325.thumb.jpeg.f66aaa4406bcf2256af224f783eac5e4.jpeg

I am guessing a new account will be made now? That one will be useless.

Got this message from eBay this morning...

MC010 Account Security Communication Partner Warning

Our records show that you recently contacted or received messages from  geekbay_since_2003 through eBay's messaging system. This account was recently found to have been accessed by an unauthorized third party, who may have used the account in an attempt to defraud other members.

We've taken action to restore this account to the original owner, but wanted to let you know to be suspicious of any communication you may have received from them.  Nothing is wrong with your account at this time – this message is just being sent as a precaution. If you have received any messages from geekbay_since_2003 that appears suspicious, please feel free to forward them to us at spoof@ebay.com for review.

Did Mike report his own account? Did anyone here report the account itself? Keep an eye out for a new one shortly, I would think.

BTW, these are the two messages he sent me when I asked about the provenance of the book...

I bought that book at Frankencon and slabbed that book almost 10 years ago. If I knew then what I knew now it would have got a better grade.

Nowadays I can press those non-color break creases out of golden age books but back then I didn't know how to do it so that was what held the grade back the most. It's actually one of my most favorite books, the guy at FrankenCon wasn't even a dealer, he was just someone selling his collection and I got lucky and he had that book sitting there. Now I'm just getting out of the hobby all together. I was going to share my knowledge with others, but I've been exiled from the industry.