• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,339 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2024 at 11:17 PM, Sauce Dog said:

NOTICE:

Has anyone else recognized their books as being sold on ebay? Those of you who have not PM'd me please do so.

Did anyone here submit an Amazing Spider-Man #252 specifically and never got it back (this is a fairly 'common' book to submit so I want to get an idea of numbers)?

Has anyone ever submitted books to Hero Restoration years ago and never got a book back (I'm talking years before all this went down. Maybe you forgot exactly every single book you submitted to him and didn't get them all back -  only to remember about it years later but never followed up about it with Mike. Maybe you personally dropped off a stack of books to him and forgot about picking em up)?

Unfortunately, I am still waiting on my copy of Amazing Fantasy 15..... Mike has had the book for almost 4 years and I've been trying to get it back from him for about a year now. Obviously, my attempts increased exponentially after he was exposed in June/July. Mike replied to me by email back in December saying that he was sick with COVID and would return all of the books he had once he had recovered. Not sure what more I can do at this point. Praying he will eventually send me back the book even if it is in pieces.

I know @Sauce Dogsaid he was done with this situation.  I can’t blame him.  He’s done everything he can to help get books back.  

I think what everyone that isn’t out money or books from this is waiting to find out what the “bombshell” that’s going to make everything worse is.  I have my suspicions.

I've got a policy, as many here do, with CIS - Collectibles Insurance Services. And I dont even own "big" books. If I had an AF15, I sure as heck would have a policy and a rider for that book.

I do not ask my presser or my restorer for a copy of their insurance policy and proof of payment for that policy.  And even if that was provided, who's to say it covers the entirety of the material in their possession at every moment of time.

Not sure how successful the claim would be but at this point if I was covered I'd be pivoting this way.

On 2/14/2024 at 5:04 PM, Dr. Love said:

I've got a policy, as many here do, with CIS - Collectibles Insurance Services. And I dont even own "big" books. If I had an AF15, I sure as heck would have a policy and a rider for that book.

I do not ask my presser or my restorer for a copy of their insurance policy and proof of payment for that policy.  And even if that was provided, who's to say it covers the entirety of the material in their possession at every moment of time.

Not sure how successful the claim would be but at this point if I was covered I'd be pivoting this way.

This might not fall into CIS coverage though, but anyone with such a policy should inquire regardless (as based on what I understand there isn't any insurance on Mike's end anymore)

What doesn’t CIS insure?

The following are excluded from our coverage: Government seizure or destruction of property; war and nuclear hazards; gradual deterioration such as fading, creasing or denting; nesting, infestation or discharge or release of waste products or secretions by insects, rodents or other animals; dampness or dryness of atmosphere; changes in or extremes of temperature other than fire; fraudulent, dishonest or criminal acts; voluntary parting with covered property; loss or damage while being worked on by you or others working on your behalf; and mysterious disappearance. This is not a complete list of exclusions and exclusions can vary by policy.

Wow. That's disheartening. Best to read my policy. So, fire only, no theft? Hmmm. Looks like I do need to concern myself with the insurance carried by others. Life - always something!

Edited by Dr. Love

On 2/14/2024 at 5:45 PM, Dr. Love said:

Wow. That's disheartening. Best to read my policy. So, fire only, no theft? Hmmm. Looks like I do need to concern myself with the insurance carried by others. Life - always something!

I believe "fraudulent, dishonest or criminal acts" refers to acts committed by the policyholder.

That said, I suspect that "loss or damage while being worked on by you or others working on your behalf; and mysterious disappearance." clause may exclude you from coverage.  

On 2/14/2024 at 4:35 PM, Dr. Love said:

Not one of Mike's victims had insurance, filed a theft report, then filed a claim?

Mike claimed he was fully insured with CIS. It's even stated on the Hero Restoration FAQ page, but I never asked for proof. Yeah, I know... Really foolish! In my defense, I had used HR for several "big book" C&P jobs previously and the results had always been good. I guess I was lulled into a false sense of security like so many others here. 

On 2/14/2024 at 5:58 PM, Nilo2 said:

Mike claimed he was fully insured with CIS. It's even stated on the Hero Restoration FAQ page, but I never asked for proof. Yeah, I know... Really foolish! In my defense, I had used HR for several "big book" C&P jobs previously and the results had always been good. I guess I was lulled into a false sense of security like so many others here. 

It's a moot point whether he had coverage or not. Mike's coverage certainly isn't going to reimburse you for his criminal or negligent acts. 

On 2/14/2024 at 5:39 PM, Sauce Dog said:

This might not fall into CIS coverage though, but anyone with such a policy should inquire regardless (as based on what I understand there isn't any insurance on Mike's end anymore)

What doesn’t CIS insure?

The following are excluded from our coverage: Government seizure or destruction of property; war and nuclear hazards; gradual deterioration such as fading, creasing or denting; nesting, infestation or discharge or release of waste products or secretions by insects, rodents or other animals; dampness or dryness of atmosphere; changes in or extremes of temperature other than fire; fraudulent, dishonest or criminal acts; voluntary parting with covered property; loss or damage while being worked on by you or others working on your behalf; and mysterious disappearance. This is not a complete list of exclusions and exclusions can vary by policy.

Yeah, that language was used to explain why they wouldn’t help when I was scammed out of my IH 181 a few years back. 

The voluntary parting is what will probably get you here. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 2/14/2024 at 3:28 PM, badback83 said:

waiting to find out what the “bombshell” that’s going to make everything worse is.  I have my suspicions.

My guess is the jailhouse cellmate that he burned is now released and looking for him.  Selling customers books is his lifeline.    

On 2/17/2024 at 8:39 AM, altair43 said:

Hades is too good for dechellis.  He had my AF-15 and my money for restoration.  My book was the one with the black sticker in the photo a few posts back of the af-15's that he was selling.  He returned my AF-15 but not my money.  I did a lot of work calling law enforcement, local courts, police depts, and the Oregon DOJ to push this guy into realizing he has to return these items that he stole.  Thank goodness for Sauce Dog who was relentless in organizing a method to start a return process from this crook which was successful for some of us.  Even Sauce has had it trying to deal with this maniac.  

@altair43 , Are you referring to the books that were listed on eBay? If not, could you repost the photo with your book? just wondering if mine might also be in there... I didn't see my book in the sold eBay listings. Mine is a UK (pence variant) with a very noticeable pen scribble on the cover (picture below). I had sent it to Mike in June, 2020 for conservation work (tape and ink removal). If anyone has seen this book listed anywhere, please message me. Thanks.

AF 15.jpeg

On 2/17/2024 at 10:15 AM, Nilo2 said:

@altair43 , Are you referring to the books that were listed on eBay? If not, could you repost the photo with your book? just wondering if mine might also be in there... I didn't see my book in the sold eBay listings. Mine is a UK (pence variant) with a very noticeable pen scribble on the cover (picture below). I had sent it to Mike in June, 2020 for conservation work (tape and ink removal). If anyone has seen this book listed anywhere, please message me. Thanks.

AF 15.jpeg

My book is pictured on Sauce Dog post on January 16.  Dechellis took the picture of mine and another af-15 to try and sell to someone else.  Read the post.

On 2/17/2024 at 8:40 AM, Nick Furious said:
On 2/14/2024 at 3:28 PM, badback83 said:

I think what everyone that isn’t out money or books from this is waiting to find out what the “bombshell” that’s going to make everything worse is.  I have my suspicions.

My guess is the jailhouse cellmate that he burned is now released and looking for him.  Selling customers books is his lifeline.    

It really is unbelievable and incredible information that's going to shake this forum and hobby to it's very core.

Have a nice day.