• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
29 29

1,991 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2024 at 1:14 AM, Cat said:

I hope this means he has to sell his home, and a KFC is erected on that very same site. 

fro. my recollection of previous threads - i thought he didn’t have one? where he operated from was his girlfriend’s and she kicked him out at the beginning of the unraveling. 

There's really just so many things that go into sentencing, and a lot of it has to do with what the purpose of "sentencing" (and the maybe the whole justice system) is, and to whom. 

Is it to punish bad guys?  Is it to get make the victims whole (more than whole?)? Is it to prevent similar crime?  Is it to prevent crime more generally?  Prevent future crime (by this bad guy or other bad guys)?  Is it to rehabilitate bad guys so they can one day be productive members of society?  Is it to do any or all of these things more efficiently from a time perspective or cost perspective or effort perspective?  Who decides?  What about health considerations of criminals or victims? Financial situations of criminals or victims?  What about how full the jails/prisons are?  What about how big/busy the police departments are?  Or the DA's office?  Or how backlogged the court system is?  How would the case have played in a trial in front of a jury appeal?  Easy to understand and present?  Jury appeal?  Do local, state, or federal politics play a part - either specifically or generally?  How many similar cases has the police, DA, or judge seen, are there trends?  

On a very basic level for this case, the suspect pled guilty relatively quickly, with sentencing scheduled relatively quickly.  The case could easily have dragged on for years.  This means that when possible, the remaining comics will go back to their rightful owners with faster, and without any victims having to go testify physically person and present evidence and get cross-examined.  So maybe the suspect does 1 year less in prison so 20 victims  (not all the victims, I get it) get their comics back 1 year earlier than they otherwise would have.  And victims can move on earlier. And it clears up time and resources for the DA, police, court, and victims a year earlier.  I'm not saying that is fair or not fair, but that that is a consideration the sentencing decision makers will definitely consider with this kind of case.

I would also note that broad assumptions based on the perceived politics of a jurisdiction don't always apply as much you think, or in the way one thinks, especially if one has only a surface level understanding of cherry picked stats, rather than a deeper understanding of relevant stats applicable to a specific situation.

Edited by revat

Does anyone remember his beautiful post in the original thread....where he apologized to everyone and took full responsibility for everything he did?

Yeah.....me neither.

(Need to click on it three times to get it to full size)

HeroRestorationPost(JPEG).thumb.jpg.bf41bf7bd135df92d07d23bf124bf51b.jpg

On 10/16/2024 at 3:52 AM, KCOComics said:

I honestly have very little frame of reference for what a reasonable sentence is.  

Mike's been in jail for a few months now. Presumably he'll get sentenced to more time in prison. I can't imagine being in my 50s and going to prison for white collar crimes.

He will have restitution (likely impossible to collect on), a felony - I don't believe he owns property, getting a job will be impossible,  the comic community has turned its back on him and i imagine he's burned most personal relationships.

He's got s tough road in front of him.  So I don't know if 12 months  or 3 years is appropriate.   My gut tells me it should be closer to 3 years,  given the amount of people he hurt and the money he's stolen.

The other end of this,  is what I'm more concerned about. You've got victims with books being held as evidence. Other victims who have no idea where their books are.  Not to mention no one will be made whole for the thousands and thousands of dollars he stole from them. 

No matter how many years Mike gets, alot of people will never be justly compensated. 

And please don't read this as - I'm OK if he gets a lighter sentence. I would like to see him get a severe punishment. He's been an awful person and in my opinion,  he deserves harsh consequences. 

It's more saying - his sentencing is almost inconsequential in the big picture. It doesn't improve the outcome for victims and whether he's behind bars or not,  he's got a very a difficult path forward. 

I’d agree that many of his victims will never be compensated or made whole.  You can’t get money from a stone.  All we can hope for is some form of appropriate punishment so the victims can at least say the turd spent ‘blank’ in jail.  I’d sure hope time served and or probation isn’t the outcome.  And yes, Mike will likely have a difficult path in the future but he earned it and I won’t feel at all sorry for him

On 10/15/2024 at 11:14 AM, Cat said:

I hope this means he has to sell his home, and a KFC is erected on that very same site. 

I'm purely speculating here, but I imagine that a person of his brainpower does not own his own home.

Just a quick response.  I haven't read through all of the recent posts but a lot of them seem very negative or without hope.  I know I'm a bit of a "New Jack", but I do recall a lot of doubters on these threads from the beginning and reading something to the effect that, "They'll never catch him; No one will get restitution or justice; He's disappeared without a trace" and many of these things turned out not to be true.  I know our system of law is not perfect, but I'd like to keep positive and let it play out.  We've come very very far with this, but it is a long Journey.  

On 10/17/2024 at 11:24 AM, Neo "The One" said:

Just a quick response.  I haven't read through all of the recent posts but a lot of them seem very negative or without hope.  I know I'm a bit of a "New Jack", but I do recall a lot of doubters on these threads from the beginning and reading something to the effect that, "They'll never catch him; No one will get restitution or justice; He's disappeared without a trace" and many of these things turned out not to be true.  I know our system of law is not perfect, but I'd like to keep positive and let it play out.  We've come very very far with this, but it is a long Journey.  

Speaking for myself,  I'm very happy and impressed with where we are. 

Mike is facing consequences. And no matter the outcome,  he has a hard,  frustrating road ahead of him.

I do think it will be hard for the victims to get fair compensation. 

But I have no sympathy for Mike. 

On 10/17/2024 at 1:20 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Does anyone remember his beautiful post in the original thread....where he apologized to everyone and took full responsibility for everything he did?

Yeah.....me neither.

image.gif.9ec2946fd42e29ec9906c1291d8b7f35.gif

:facepalm:

Yeah.....me neither.

Going in the archives - thanks!

On 10/17/2024 at 11:12 AM, KCOComics said:

Speaking for myself,  I'm very happy and impressed with where we are. 

Mike is facing consequences. And no matter the outcome,  he has a hard,  frustrating road ahead of him.

I do think it will be hard for the victims to get fair compensation. 

But I have no sympathy for Mike. 

My concern is what he will do next to make the money that he wants

On 10/17/2024 at 3:39 PM, Spy-dygurl said:

My concern is what he will do next to make the money that he wants

That is a concern. He's shown he will sink to despicable places and isn't afraid to hurt people and chickens in the process. 

Best case scenario, he gets himself in a good place and tries to do the right thing. But i would never trust him again! 

On 10/17/2024 at 5:04 PM, KCOComics said:

That is a concern. He's shown he will sink to despicable places and isn't afraid to hurt people and chickens in the process. 

Best case scenario, he gets himself in a good place and tries to do the right thing. But i would never trust him again! 

I just want to point out that much like a 3rd grader who didn't do their homework, "The Dog ate it".  

Yeah.....me neither.

I vaguely recall reading some of this at one time (or similar).  I just can't finish it right now.  Do we know if this was ever sent to Law Enforcement or the courts?  I think its a gem.

On 10/17/2024 at 4:06 PM, Neo "The One" said:

I vaguely recall reading some of this at one time (or similar).  I just can't finish it right now.  Do we know if this was ever sent to Law Enforcement or the courts?  I think its a gem.

I just did a dive, I distinctly remember there being three threads on the subject.  This one, that one, and then another that was locked.  Though I only see two threads that had a lot of traction.  Perhaps the third was deleted by the mods?  I recall him threatening people which is why I think the mod team removed the thread entirely.  Shame because a complete summary of events would be a wild read.

On 10/17/2024 at 7:11 PM, ExNihilo said:

I just did a dive, I distinctly remember there being three threads on the subject.  This one, that one, and then another that was locked.  Though I only see two threads that had a lot of traction.  Perhaps the third was deleted by the mods?  I recall him threatening people which is why I think the mod team removed the thread entirely.  Shame because a complete summary of events would be a wild read.

There were some early grumblings, "Who is this Clown MasterCPU"?  or to that effect.   I know I've put links to some of them in this thread.  One was indeed locked, and the other I think "He who shall not be named" removed his posts (or at least someone did) with threats in it.  Others have been following longer and can probably fill in the blanks - but in short - I think you are correct.