• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
27 27

1,919 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2024 at 3:10 PM, Copy801 said:

Thanks so much. I'm looking to see who can actually do restoration on my book now that i'll be getting it back. I had to save up for quite a bit to afford getting the restoration done so i'm hoping I can get a good deal somewhere. Especially considering I'm down a couple of grand. 

I'll send you a PM with Kenny's info. 

He's a class act and the absolute best in the business. My only concern is,  he's probably swamped since he's had to clean up Mike's mess. 

Ironically, one of my buddies who primarily collects golden age comics already gave him Kenny's info. I contacted him on instagram about half an hour ago. Thanks for backing each other up. I'll totally be sure to mention you guys when I do eventually talk to him. Keep in mind, I'm not sending ANYTHING for a good while since my book will be locked up in evidence for a while. 

On 8/21/2024 at 12:08 PM, Copy801 said:

I don't know if this helps, but this is a pic I received from Mike back in 2022 in regards to some books that he was restoring. I don't know if this has been posted here or if these are anyone's books. 

20220927_224920.jpg

Yes, we have posted that a few times in the previous threads. A good chunk of those books have been accounted for (Flash, Action, Tech, some of the AF15s, and my TOS39). I would recommend going through both threads (this one and the previous locked thread) to catch up if you are just getting wind of this development and are interested in learning all the ins-and-outs.

Can anyone point me towards the earliest complaint against Hero Restoration?

The arrest was based on a customer who had his books stolen all the way back in 2019 but Comic Tom was still promoting this guy in November of 2022. I'm wondering if there were public-facing complaints that Comic Tom should have found before platforming this guy. All these dudes can fill youtube with mea culpa's but I'd like to know who knew what and when. It seems like Comic Tom did eventually stop having him on as a guest a couple years back but I don't think he ever spoke to why.

On 8/22/2024 at 10:35 AM, Sam T said:

The arrest was based on a customer who had his books stolen all the way back in 2019 but Comic Tom was still promoting this guy in November of 2022. I'm wondering if there were public-facing complaints that Comic Tom should have found before platforming this guy. All these dudes can fill youtube with mea culpa's but I'd like to know who knew what and when. It seems like Comic Tom did eventually stop having him on as a guest a couple years back but I don't think he ever spoke to why.

My position is - everyone felt petty good about Hero until the first of these threads late last year.  Which is why these threads deserve a lot of credit in bringing him to justice.

There were rumblings about trouble. Someone started a thread in the Restoration area of the forum asking for advice on Hero a few years ago and I remember some people complained about TATs (which I thought was sour grapes.... I was wrong).  I'm pretty sure I posted on that thread that "Mike had a great reputation" 😞.  I wish I could undo that in retrospect.  

But I don't think anyone was aware of the depth of this issue. Anyone who may have been suspicious was likely afraid to tarnish his reputation because I didn't see any talk publicaly until the first thread here. 

On 8/22/2024 at 1:29 PM, KCOComics said:

My position is - everyone felt petty good about Hero until the first of these threads late last year.  Which is why these threads deserve a lot of credit in bringing him to justice.

There were rumblings about trouble. Someone started a thread in the Restoration area of the forum asking for advice on Hero a few years ago and I remember some people complained about TATs (which I thought was sour grapes.... I was wrong).  I'm pretty sure I posted on that thread that "Mike had a great reputation" 😞.  I wish I could undo that in retrospect.  

But I don't think anyone was aware of the depth of this issue. Anyone who may have been suspicious was likely afraid to tarnish his reputation because I didn't see any talk publicaly until the first thread here. 

This is the ill-fated thread where I defended their reputation.... that was Feb last year and the first sign of trouble I'm aware of.... though I dismissed these concerns at the time.  

On 8/22/2024 at 12:09 PM, KCOComics said:

This is the ill-fated thread where I defended their reputation.... that was Feb last year and the first sign of trouble I'm aware of.... though I dismissed these concerns at the time.  

Sigh, sometimes we're just flat out wrong.  We've known a guy through this forum for years and believe he's a standup guy and we're wrong.  I like to think of them as chatboard Enrons.  A known and trusted entity based on deception and incomplete information.  

On 8/22/2024 at 1:09 PM, Magickyak said:

To help out everyone who was ripped off by Mike, CGC should give a “Hero Restoration Evidence” pedigree to all the books currently being held by the police

I mean if they're "lucky" maybe he committed some other notorious or grand crime and this comic book thing leads to solving the case.  Like he stole a boatload of gold from Cambodia in the late 80's, or he's the real Banksy, or swapped out the Declaration of Independence to find clues to a secret treasure, or he turns out to be a sleeper agent for a foreign enemy who just happened to love comics.  That could be a cool pedigree.

On 8/22/2024 at 2:58 PM, thehumantorch said:

Sigh, sometimes we're just flat out wrong.  We've known a guy through this forum for years and believe he's a standup guy and we're wrong.  I like to think of them as chatboard Enrons.  A known and trusted entity based on deception and incomplete information.  

Like the cop who turned out to be a rapist

On 8/22/2024 at 10:35 AM, Sam T said:

I submitted my books because of comic tom