• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC oops......
2 2

27 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2023 at 2:31 PM, Yorick said:

It would have to be more than a single digit typo, right?  There's only 1.8 or 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.9 that would fit with a single digit mistake.  Maybe that book is a 1.8.  A double digit typo should be a warning notice to that employee.

I have to believe that it was a swapped label from someone else's submission.  OR the graders had too many drinks that day.

I agree that it could be a swapped label---that also happens sometimes. But what I was referring to isn't a typo; it's what's commonly known as a "brain fart". Please bear in mind that mistakes like this aren't all that unusual, it's just that someone usually catches it before the book goes out the door...  :whistle: 

On 11/8/2023 at 2:47 PM, Lightning55 said:

If CGC agreed to regrade this comic due to the obvious error, they would also cover shipping back and forth.  They don't want that thing out in the wild, with that grade and their name on it.

The problem is that this was at a show, doesn't belong to the OP.  No way to get word to the owner.  It's unsalable as is, I would think.

Census points.

On 11/11/2023 at 3:28 PM, MAR1979 said:

Most probably , but my guess is the seller/dealer will state "CGC says its a 9.8, so it's a 9.8", not to mention the obligatory "It's a newsstand baby". Then after unloading it, brag about how much dough was made off the sucker! 

Sounds like you've done this before.....  :insane:

On 11/7/2023 at 9:03 PM, avidcollector80 said:

For reference:  CGC Label certification # 4318799009.  Note:  NOT my book.  I seen this book at a comic con show room floor.  I find it difficult to believe that "THREE" graders looked at this book and gave it a 9.8.  Can anyone examine the images on the label certification page and justify the grade?  No one I have spoken with that has seen this book in person will give this book higher than a 5.0 tops (and that's being generous).  Note that there is a crease in the top left edge of the back cover that would break color if it was not on white.  Very dirty back cover with stains.  multiple edge tears along top of back cover.  Edge wear and staining along the front cover.  And those are just the defects you can see in the scans. this book looks way worse when you hold it in your hands.  Please share your thoughts.  I appreciate your feedback.  Thanks 

image.png.dba8cc37f24ab89b9590dfab1dbd0449.png

image.thumb.png.c48447bfb9c55559bd7787c2767071d0.png

Star Wars 1 CGC 9.8 CPV #4318799009.png 2.png