• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I might actually have a 9.9...
4 4

28 posts in this topic

I'm a total novice at sending books in, but I do recall the feeling of holding a book that felt like it would hit 9.9. You get this vibe, like: it's definitely a 9.8, but it just feels like it may do better!

You don't feel that with all 9.8-potential books, but there's that one you think: this might be the one!

It never was for me, but I did peg 9.8s in the olden days. I subbed a book awhile back I thought for sure would be a 9.8 and it came back 9.6, so I'm rusty in my older years.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 11/9/2023 at 3:09 AM, Gaard said:

I've often wondered if CGC can tell, via the certification number, who graded which slab (any slab ... could've been graded yesterday, could've been graded 10 years ago)

The graders can't tell that way.

Some books, though are impossible to hide. For example, if you were to submit a well known book from a well known Pedigree, well many graders often will recognize the book and may even know who owns it because, well they're human and happen to love comics and may know the history of famous books but that's a rare situation and impossible to avoid. 

I've had one 9.9 after a decade / 100s of comics submitted.
But holding the 9.9 slab in my hand taught me what to look for in raw comics moving forward.
Four sharp corners, lays flat, and parallel centered staples.
(meaning the staples were both centered equally along the spine)
Hope that helps a little.
Good luck.
Also, walkthrough press and grading if you are that confident.

Back in 2008-2009 or so before I sold all my books which I deeply regret at this point I had about half of the CGC 9.9 ASM from ASM19 - ASM297 population as there was only 16 9.9s back then in that issue range. These books included ASM166, 245, 255, 262, 265 , 268 double cover, 275 and one of the 297 copies. These books were a set # in the Census such as ASM297 with the most copies at 3. This was 15 years ago and there's still only 3. I submitted 6 copies of ridiculously nice looking 297s which one was flawless and I was thinking CGC 10 or 9.9 at worst. Was one of my 9.8s by the time it came back. I've seen what the 9.9s look like first hand in regards to NON-METAL or NON-Hard covers and this was a perfect candidate. Not really sure they're looking at handing out CGC 9.9s anymore unless the books have those hardened covers or maybe they get downgraded from page counting and multiple people handling books which would be unfortunate but the regular old comic books getting a CGC 9.9 grade seems even more rare than a unicorn crapping rainbows these days. I wish you luck on your submission though ;-)

On 11/8/2023 at 8:34 PM, Timed said:

Before I start, I am aware of the saying "never expect a 9.9, or even a 9.8". I have been submitting for years, and have learned to be conservative on estimates so as to not be disappointed on results.

Now, I am not trying to delude myself, but I have stumbled across a 1980's book that is genuinely the most gorgeous copy of the book I have ever seen. I have submitted this issue many times before, with a bunch coming back as 9.8, but on those 9.8's there was always at least one defect if you looked hard enough. On this copy though, there is none. No ticks (not even non color breaking), extremely sharp corners, no marvel chipping, vivid colors, tight staples with no rust... not even any bindery tears on top or bottom. And yes I used a magnifying glass as well, just because I wanted to make sure that my eyes were not deceiving me. I have never been amazed by a book so much that I can say, it looks even better than most moderns I have handled.

The question I have is, is there any way or path on giving this the best chance at a 9.9? I would even be willing to submit it in the UV tier, if that meant the graders scrutinize every single millimeter closely. Heck, I would even hand deliver it to Matt Nelson for a fee just so he can take a close look :roflmao:

Just wanted to write about my thoughts, even though I know it will just probably come back a 9.8... lol.

Update?

I've submitted hundreds of books that landed on 9.8 without a single one hitting a 9.9. Out of that group I figure a couple of them had a decent shot at 9.9, but there is only one I still think about. 

Prior to the comic boom and prices shooting through the roof I bought a slabbed ASM 14 from a local guy. To help make the deal happen the guy threw in his raw copy of ASM 238. When he pulled it out I noticed it was kept in a king size bag and board. When I asked about that he told me that he bought it off the stand, put it into that oversize bag and board, and put it away without ever opening it. When I pulled the 238 out it was completely flawless - the corners were so sharp it was like you could cut yourself on them, the colour was as deep as what you see on new comics currently on the stands. When I opened it up to check the tattooz insert it definitely felt like the first time that comic had ever been opened. 

I sent it in for grading and I remember thinking to myself that if I ever get a 9.9 this is the book that will do it. The grades came back and it landed on 9.8, and this was the only time I have ever been completely ticked off at getting a 9.8 grade. I kept it for a while and moved on from it at the start of the comic boom when prices started to rise. I did save the cert number, and if I see it again I will probably try to buy it back. 

I have thought about this book a lot since the 9.9 pre-screen thing was announced and I am conflicted. On one hand I would love to see books like hit 9.9, but on the other I wonder if my 238 got a fair shot at 9.9 to begin with. Maybe it did and I missed something, I dunno. But if I found a way to buy it back it would be at the top of my list of books to send in for a 9.9 pre-screen.