• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hindsight is 20/20
2 2

61 posts in this topic

Since the advent of high def DVDs and streaming, VHS has almost disappeared.  VHS players are difficult to find.  VHS movies are either free or cost 25cents at garage sales.  Maybe we should be collecting VHS players for the next wave of nostalgic collecting.  I'm already ahead of the game because I own one and have over 300 VHS movies to watch...lol:facepalm:

On 11/13/2023 at 4:08 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Since the advent of high def DVDs and streaming, VHS has almost disappeared.  VHS players are difficult to find.  VHS movies are either free or cost 25cents at garage sales.  Maybe we should be collecting VHS players for the next wave of nostalgic collecting.  I'm already ahead of the game because I own one and have over 300 VHS movies to watch...lol:facepalm:

Funny that you mention that. I've bought and sold many of them in the past few years. They're very desirable as long as they have the remote! 

On 11/13/2023 at 2:39 PM, Patriot6 said:

Funny that you mention that. I've bought and sold many of them in the past few years. They're very desirable as long as they have the remote! 

Well, of course.  Nobody wants to get up and walk to the TV to turn up the sound, rewind or fast forward.  That went out in the 60s...:Rocket:

On 11/13/2023 at 4:51 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Well, of course.  Nobody wants to get up and walk to the TV to turn up the sound, rewind or fast forward.  That went out in the 60s...:Rocket:

true, but let's be honest, the white noise of the 80s and 90s is a rewinding VHS tape. That baby will put anyone to sleep.

On 11/13/2023 at 5:09 PM, szav said:

I commend your repeated efforts to single handedly will this market into existence....go ahead, show us the Whitney Houston again and whoever else you might have come up with, or dug up or whatever.  Truly I admire this sort of entrepreneurial spirit to make something out of this and hope you profit hugely from it some day.  If it doesn't work out, try digging up celebrities' bones and selling them as religious relics. 

+ to infinity and beyond

On 11/12/2023 at 10:05 PM, ChillMan said:

But this tread is for 1 thing and 1 thing only.

Predictions on what will skyrocket in value in 10-40 years.  Like that can be acquired now for $5000-$100,000 but HAS A CHANCE to be worth $1,000,000-$20,000,000 in 10 to 40 years.

A Cadillac will probably cost a Million dollars in that time so don’t get too excited.

On 11/13/2023 at 3:35 AM, ChillMan said:

Dropped mics is thinking ahead.  But everyone already knows about stage worn items.  And pulps...unless it's an extremely underrated character.

I'm talking about predicting what no one talks about now...but should be.

It depends on the specifics. For instance, a Taylor Swift "first down" football jersey might bring even more than stage worn apparel.  

Okay, how about pre-apocalypse political campaign buttons and memorabilia? :gossip:

On 11/13/2023 at 11:51 AM, Patriot6 said:

Weirdly, I think in the coming years with explosion of AI that people will have much more free time on their hands. I think a weird genre of collectibles that is set to explode is vintage working appliances, minor appliances, sewing machines etc. I used to renovate houses and once pulled a pair of GE appliances from one kitchen. A range and an oven that is installed into the wall. Both were from 1958. This was in about 2008 or so. I sold both to a guy who collected vintage appliances. He was showing me pictures of a storage unit packed with the stuff. These were pretty minty mind you, but I was happy to take $350 for the pair. He later returned and bought the vintage microwave for $100. I was going to throw them away when someone had said there are people out there looking for those. 

The reason I think these items will become more and more desirable and expensive is because with more free time, like we saw with the pandy, people will be using these things daily if not every other day. These machines are built with 100 percent replaceable parts. The parts are extremely cheap. They are available en mass. The designs are extremely simple and well designed. They will run until the end of time. Take a sewing machine for example. You can keep a 20s Singer going for all of time. Every part can be replaced and the machine is so simple that anyone can fix it. Now there were a lot of sewing machines out there, this is true. But they have been getting scrapped en mass since the mid 90s and that is when something starts to uptick. 

I would never have believed it either, but my wife and I bought a house with old appliances in it, ironically a range and wall stove from 1958. They were original to the house. The oven looks like the back of a Cadillac. They are in mint condition from the original owner. We had every intention of tearing them out and selling them to someone like the guy I had mentioned above and going new. We started using them in the interim and I will never ever get rid of them no matter what. All of our friends are constantly complaining about their Samsung stoves and LG ovens and the modern Chinese made GE stuff that breaks down every 30 seconds. Meanwhile, I've replaced one heating coil for a total of thirteen dollars since we've lived here. They look great, all metal and chrome. Everyone asks about them when they come over. Boiling water takes very little time because the coils get so hot instantly. The oven gets to and holds temperature fast and well. I also like to cook with cast iron and this set up suits me well. What I'm getting at is that these things don't break down very much and are cheap to keep going. They are suited to a more 'commercial' use than modern day equivalents by which I mean that someone can use these things everyday where as the modern counterpart will not be able to be used the same way and will fail relatively quickly with heavier use. 

Will any of these items hit a million dollars? Absolutely not, but there is a nascent, although niche, collectible market for them and this is the bottom!

My odd take anyway.

Excellent post.

It's not for sure...but this thread is about giving ourselves a chance to hit big.

This post brought back the memory of the green sewing-machine my mom had in my room when I was about 5 I think.  It folded down so as to be a normal table.  I was fascinated by how complex it was.

Can these items be acquired now in MINT condition??

On 11/13/2023 at 8:09 PM, szav said:

I commend your repeated efforts to single handedly will this market into existence....go ahead, show us the Whitney Houston again and whoever else you might have come up with, or dug up or whatever.  Truly I admire this sort of entrepreneurial spirit to make something out of this and hope you profit hugely from it some day.  If it doesn't work out, try digging up celebrities' bones and selling them as religious relics. 

Screenshot_2023-11-13-04-06-26.thumb.png.378dfd53bf6d872f179999e774291590.png

On 11/13/2023 at 1:08 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Got news for you Brian. These are already the new hot thing. They are being graded and the big auction houses have been getting eye popping prices. Mostly sealed horror and obscure cult films bring the most. 

On 11/13/2023 at 2:22 AM, ChillMan said:

I predict that current-valid drivers licenses & passports of celebrities who passed away will in 10-40 years become the 'rookie cards PSA 10' of celebrities.

Nope.  You have to not only look ahead to what might be collectible, but also be cognizant of the trends of the past.  Celebrity is a very ephemeral thing, as each generation loses interest in the celebrities of their parents' generation.  Check movie posters and stills for example... many prices of even big names are coming down as new generations don't care about Humphrey Bogart, Marilyn Monroe, Mae West, "Tarzan"... even later stars like Paul Newman, Elvis Presley, Charles Bronson.  Some of these were quite popular once, but other than the truly iconic (Casablanca) or the truly rare... the majority of this material is declining in value.  You may be able to cash-in over the next few years on today's hot celebrity merchandise, but 40 years down the road?  One or two, probably... but the rest.... no way.  The vast majority of Americans under 40 couldn't even tell you who John Wayne is.

On 11/13/2023 at 10:21 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

It depends on the specifics. For instance, a Taylor Swift "first down" football jersey might bring even more than stage worn apparel.  

Okay, how about pre-apocalypse political campaign buttons and memorabilia? :gossip:

Early and low distribution one day event political buttons and other campaign memorabilia have been a well kept secret for 50+ or more years. Ted Hake got his start auctioning them. And still going VERY strong. See any of their recent auctions. They don’t even have to be that old. Just unusual.

I have been picking them up when I see unusual, colorful or early ones for years.

Let me know when the apocalypse hits and I will quit…

On 11/14/2023 at 2:38 AM, ChillMan said:

So I'm wrong in saying this item is interesting and has potential ?

I know a rhetorical question when I see one!

Hey, I built up interest in a niche area of comics.  But it took years.  And I did it by show and telling about things that I loved.  Not by telling people that these items were interesting and had potential.