• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMIC STORES 2023: 'IT'S NEARLY 2024 AND I'M MORE THAN CONCERNED'
4 4

545 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2023 at 5:41 AM, Dr. Haydn said:

It's been about 25 years since I picked up a new comic book. 

Same here. They could be 100% heterosexual White Males who always save the day, where the female superheroes faint every time they use their powers - all mention of homosexuality or bisexuality, or 'non-whites' could be completely wiped clean and.... and I still wouldn't be buying modern comics.

I mean... if it was that way, I ESPECIALLY wouldn't buy it, but it doesn't matter because I'm not buying them in the first place.

I can read for nostalgia. Sort of. Sometimes. 

But hell, man, I'm an ADULT. I don't spend my time reading Peter Pan and Cinderella either. 

On 11/13/2023 at 11:20 PM, Black_Adam said:

Do they still make comics for kids? I grew up on a steady diet of Harvey and Gold Key comics but both publishers are, sadly, long gone. In at least one comic store's defense, however, I should mention that I visited a LCS yesterday and when I asked if they had anything my 4 year old daughter would like they pulled out an Amazing Spidey and Friends story/stickerbook. I bought it and the stickers have been stuck by one very happy 4 year old! And we had a new bedtime story.  🌙 

Be careful with Archies from the 2010s onwards. 

Zombie epidemics, werewolves eviscerating their victims, satanism.

Not all-ages entertainment.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/13/2023 at 2:43 PM, Lightning55 said:

There's always a "rude awakening" when the market shrinks back from euphoric levels. Even returning to the pre-2020 status will seem like a depression. 

Pre-2000 Back Issues are selling just fine.

2023 for me was way better than 2022, and I think people having way more money to spend on real back issues than most new trash comics (that in a month you can get for a $1.00 in the discount bins) that have been coming out since 2015+ helps the back issue market.

#1 Problem for comic book stores is everything is cheaper online and readily available.  Now if customers go into a comic book store and something they want isn't there, and the store owner tells the customer they can order it for you.  Most think to themself, "Well l I might as well just go home and order it myself on Amazon."

Every single comic book store owner I know is telling me 2022 and 2023 has been very bad for new comic book sales, but if they can keep replenishing their pre-2000 back issues that makes up for it.  So the stores that just have generic new stuff for sale in their stores, well they have been on borrowed time for years.  Especially when it comes to Marvel and DC comics because the art/stories have been pre-school trash for almost 10 years now overall.  Marvel characters are doing just fine, just not in new comic book form.  Spider-Man 2 is I think now the best selling PS5 video game of all time now.  Af 15, X-Men 1's, and all the rest of the blue chip vintage comics will still be fine long-term.  I think the back issue market is in a great and healthy place right now.  I feel bad for the LCS's that are going out of business currently, but what they are selling just isn't selling anymore.  Tough to sell garbage for $3.99 each month.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 11/13/2023 at 11:43 AM, Prince Namor said:

Disinterested staff that alienates customers. A killer.

No website or minimal effort to produce one (It's cheaper and easier than ever before to have a web presence, there is almost no excuse for this other than laziness) It's the #1 way, people search for comic book stores. wtf?

No mail order business. (Use eBay, Amazon, your own site... everything you can to sell. Again, if they're not doing this, it's just lazy) Yikes...

A kid friendly section of the store with plenty of stock.

I would be hard pressed to remember the last time I bought a new comic. I'm guessing that it is nearing ten years now. This mainly happened due to the fact that I did not enjoy reading new comics, along with the fact that I realized that I was idiotic to continue to purchase comics that I did not enjoy just to have a complete run.

I agree with @Prince Namor's suggestions. I would add the following, and this is mostly related to the publishers. Lower the prices! I can't begin to tell you how many times I have seen or heard a parent express sticker shock, followed by, "These things used to cost $1.25 [or less] when I was growing up!" Why would any parent, in their right mind, buy their child ten comic books, which would provide maybe two hours of entertainment, when they can buy the latest PlayStation or X-Box game for approximately the same price, and get virtually unlimited entertainment?

On 11/14/2023 at 12:10 AM, Math Teacher said:

I stopped going to the theater because I can't make it through a 2+ hour movie without having to get up to use the restroom. I saw a matinee of the last Avengers movie, and the only way I made it through was to not drink any liquids the entire day. If I watch the same movie at home, I can pause it whenever I need to, so as to use the restroom or get something to eat, and then pick up where I left off when I return. Also, I have been wearing hearing aids for 3+ years, and they amplify ALL sounds, not just voices. Another benefit of streaming services is close captioning, which I don't expect to see in a theater any time soon.

Very similar for me now.

I tend to fall asleep at the cinema, lose attention after about half an hour or so, and it’s better that I can break up my viewing conveniently, and also the top end of my hearing is shot by listening to too much loud metal in my younger years and some bad ear infections.  Always watch films at home with subtitles on, otherwise with ADD and about 50% normal hearing I’m missing too much detail.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/14/2023 at 12:10 AM, Math Teacher said:

Another benefit of streaming services is close captioning, which I don't expect to see in a theater any time soon.

You see an occasional showing at the local cinema here with this.

On 11/13/2023 at 11:58 PM, Math Teacher said:

Why would any parent, in their right mind, buy their child ten comic books, which would provide maybe two hours of entertainment, when they can buy the latest PlayStation or X-Box game for approximately the same price, and get virtually unlimited entertainment?

Yup. Classic recent example for me was Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt, which I got for £12, including free PS5 upgrade, which we’ll compare more directly with the approximate price of a trade paperback collection, typical 6 issue story arc.

Played the game, on-and-off, several completions, for over 6 months.

Says it all.

On 11/13/2023 at 7:29 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. Classic recent example for me was Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt, which I got for £12, including free PS5 upgrade, which we’ll compare more directly with the approximate price of a trade paperback collection, typical 6 issue story arc.

Played the game, on-and-off, several completions, for over 6 months.

Says it all.

I played my first real video game in ages this past summer, Zelda Breath of the Wild and also got more out of that then a stack of comic books at price per hour (or minute) of enjoyment. 

For me, there’s also the problem of paying $3-99 for part of a story which in the end turns out to be mediocre, even terrible, or something that you don’t emotionally connect to or get anything of value in any way, shape or form.  A bit of a risk, and, in the end, there have been many impulsive purchases that I could’ve done without, having bought them fresh off the newsstands or from the LCS on delivery day.

At least with digital bundles you can accept that not all of the material may suit your tastes, or some books may pleasantly surprise you, but with a stack which often works out at 50c a copy or less you can more easily, literally, afford to be experimental, without as much remorse as I’ve felt in recent years about my physical copy collection.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/14/2023 at 6:58 AM, Math Teacher said:

I would be hard pressed to remember the last time I bought a new comic. I'm guessing that it is nearing ten years now. This mainly happened due to the fact that I did not enjoy reading new comics, along with the fact that I realized that I was idiotic to continue to purchase comics that I did not enjoy just to have a complete run.

I agree with @Prince Namor's suggestions. I would add the following, and this is mostly related to the publishers. Lower the prices! I can't begin to tell you how many times I have seen or heard a parent express sticker shock, followed by, "These things used to cost $1.25 [or less] when I was growing up!" Why would any parent, in their right mind, buy their child ten comic books, which would provide maybe two hours of entertainment, when they can buy the latest PlayStation or X-Box game for approximately the same price, and get virtually unlimited entertainment?

Video games really did destroy so much of the teen market for comics...

On 11/14/2023 at 1:13 AM, Prince Namor said:

I do the same thing! I thought I was weird...

No. Allows you to get deeper into the story and dialogue, spot foreshadowing, etc.