• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I may read a comic book
2 2

17 posts in this topic

I prefer reading comics in collected editions, and I kinda have to where I can, as the sound of plastic bags and me undoing sticky tape can send my cat into a seizure (sounds funny but it's really not), so I have to be really careful if I'm reading single issues. 

Collected editions are the way forward for me! 

Since August I've been on a massive Kirby & Royer binge and Kamandi is just about my absolute top favourite title now. (The Kirby issues anyway.) Your choice of UXM 141 & 142 is excellent and those are the only 2 Byrne issues NOT reprinted in the Classic X Men title, which is a great way to get all the other Byrne X Men books for peanuts and I recommend it totally. Nothing beats raw in hand! 

It's been a long time since I've read super heros. When my 11 year old was a little guy,  I use to buy reprints of big Key stories and read them to him. Hulk 1, FF1, 48 -50, Spidey... We talked about the artists and Stan and history... boy did they hate the Russians back then! 

But now that he's older, I haven't read many super hero books. I do read or look through every atomic age book I buy. I love the mystery stories and Sci Fi stories. I love the advertisements. It's awesome. 

And I read EC stories from time to time. My comic shop had a huge run of EC reprints and I've bought them here and there just for the purpose of reading them. 

On 11/17/2023 at 4:14 PM, seanlinc said:

Yeah I like the ads. I ran into this the other day while pressing, brought back memories.

Resized_20231109_121302.jpeg

And THIS is the ultimate argument to not take the path of digital editions!

On 11/16/2023 at 8:19 PM, Cat said:

I prefer reading comics in collected editions, and I kinda have to where I can, as the sound of plastic bags and me undoing sticky tape can send my cat into a seizure (sounds funny but it's really not), so I have to be really careful if I'm reading single issues. 

Collected editions are the way forward for me! 

I also have a cat who has seizures due to audio triggers, which makes marathon bagging and boarding sessions very very fraught in my home. Solidarity. 

On 11/18/2023 at 5:40 AM, rlextherobot said:

I also have a cat who has seizures due to audio triggers, which makes marathon bagging and boarding sessions very very fraught in my home. Solidarity. 

You're the only other person I've heard of whose cat has the the same triggers. You have my pity, because boy it ain't easy. But we put up with it because we love them. 

On 11/17/2023 at 6:49 PM, BA773 said:

And THIS is the ultimate argument to not take the path of digital editions!

I’m more liberal.

There’s room for both tech nerds and newsprint sniffers.

On 11/17/2023 at 12:43 PM, Cat said:

You're the only other person I've heard of whose cat has the the same triggers. You have my pity, because boy it ain't easy. But we put up with it because we love them. 

The first time it happened, I described it to my (now former) vet, and she looked at me like I was crazy. My current vet seems much more up on it, but we agreed having to give him an anti-convulsant daily would be more traumatic than a once every couple of weeks seizure, which is scary but also doesn't have any lasting ill effects. Best to you and your little fuzzy guy. 

On 11/18/2023 at 7:36 AM, rlextherobot said:

The first time it happened, I described it to my (now former) vet, and she looked at me like I was crazy. My current vet seems much more up on it, but we agreed having to give him an anti-convulsant daily would be more traumatic than a once every couple of weeks seizure, which is scary but also doesn't have any lasting ill effects. Best to you and your little fuzzy guy. 

And likewise to yours. She's only had it happen to her once, the Seizure. Ever since I've been super-careful when accessing single issues and honestly, just plain cutting them out of my life for a large part of it. She's 19, her eyesight and hearing are starting to go, the last thing I want to do is provide more stress for her environment. It's just meant I've been reading  a lot more collected editions. I've found lately that if I tell her this is me in advance, and open the single issues, she doesn't react, so that's progress. Now I just need it to work every time. 

On 11/17/2023 at 7:40 PM, rlextherobot said:

I also have a cat who has seizures due to audio triggers, which makes marathon bagging and boarding sessions very very fraught in my home.

If Cats are dysfunctional about noise, dogs are equally nuts. But cute with it.