• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC really did a number on my book
6 6

24 posts in this topic

Sent in a book I bought from MCS , which was graded 9.2 ( if you know about MCS, they tend to downgrade) but CGC seriously mishandled this one. I don’t think I can really prove they did this. I won’t be using their service anymore though for signings. Three serious bends that radiate out, and also caused serious color breaking spine ticks (any worse they would be tears). Because of the plastic casing, it's hard to get a good picture but it’s worse than it looks. Unfortunately , I don’t have before pics .. except MCS picture .. but of course CGC would say that it could have been damaged when they sent it to me. 

7E852DEC-0878-4D8D-985F-6F11F85E54F6.jpeg

1C97959C-BB96-4D54-AFAC-5048D0528549.jpeg

Edited by Ed Hanes

If you’re curious , CGC graded it an 8.5 .. which is what it should be now .. the value of this book was cut in half. I’ve never had any 'real' issues with CGC .. and have sent in hundreds of books but no more signings .. these are more personal for me and I can’t take the chance on one of these books getting mangled again ..just not worth it

Edited by Ed Hanes

Looks great in the scan. But it is true, once it left your hands (presuming it didn't go directly from MCS to CGC), there is no way to pinpoint when it got creased. It wouldn't be the first comic to get damaged on the way to CGC,  nor the first to get damaged while at CGC. 

On 11/19/2023 at 4:25 AM, Gaard said:

On a scale from 1 to 10, how surprised are you that they did this?

1..not surprised at all, I understand that mistakes happen, but I have also never seen CGC take accountability for a damaged book (from the postings of others)...scanning the book on arrival could be a way to mitigate the accountability but I am guessing that with the volume of books they do, they have no incentive 

It does make me wonder (moreso) about the ASM 55 Patrick Gleason cover (brand new, never opened plastic on my part)  that should have been a 9.8 SS (by Gleason) but for the water stain it had in the middle of the cover at grading that knocked it down to a 9.4...go figure

I'm just feeling it's not worth it to pay over 150 dollars (with shipping) to get a signature and encase in plastic, anymore (I would rather just meet the artist in person now and keep the comic raw, much more satisfying and much less expensive). Even if it isnt CGC's fault..the service is too expensive anyway and rarely does it add to the value of the book (and too many things can go wrong in the chain of custody)..oh and not to mention the wait times on some of these..terrible

Edited by Ed Hanes

In the past week I decided to unslab over 20 of my books ..my silver age ASM as well as some signed copies of moderns. I dont know what to say..I have become tired of looking at the plastic holders...but ones that I dont feel comfortable unslabbing I sent off to be sold...these are mostly 9.8's that are signed. I unslabbed a few signed SS CGC because they were lesser grades. On one of them was ASM 55 (Pat Gleason cover white drawing over black background). It got a 9.4 because CGC said it had a water stain on the cover...there is no water stain..it's just how the white ink is juxtaposed over the black ink appearing like raised surfaces (similar to what water can do to paper)..especially dead center (I have other copies that have the exact same effect).... Just one more insult added to injury. I used to really believe in this company ( at one time I had hundreds of slabs)..oh, well, I will live

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 1/30/2024 at 6:49 AM, The Lions Den said:

Personally, I enjoy actually being able to peruse the books in my collection whenever I want---enjoying the stories, admiring the artwork, checking the books for flaws, etc. For me, that's the reason I got into this hobby in the first place.

Others may disagree, but I've found that spending all my time and resources on other aspects of the hobby often lead to more headaches than happiness...  :whistle:

I agree. Most of what I buy these days are raw books.

Lately it's been 50s comics. Both precode and post code.   I have a ton of slabs and no issues with CGC, but I really enjoy flipping through short boxes of those covers and being able to read them or flip through the pages. 

On 1/30/2024 at 3:49 AM, The Lions Den said:

Personally, I enjoy actually being able to peruse the books in my collection whenever I want---enjoying the stories, admiring the artwork, checking the books for flaws, etc. For me, that's the reason I got into this hobby in the first place.

Others may disagree, but I've found that spending all my time and resources on other aspects of the hobby often lead to more headaches than happiness...  :whistle:

agreed...slabs take up a lot of space too

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 1/30/2024 at 1:33 AM, Ed Hanes said:

In the past week I decided to unslab over 20 of my books ..my silver age ASM as well as some signed copies of moderns. I dont know what to say..I have become tired of looking at the plastic holders...but ones that I dont feel comfortable unslabbing I sent off to be sold...these are mostly 9.8's that are signed. I unslabbed a few signed SS CGC because they were lesser grades. On one of them was ASM 55 (Pat Gleason cover white drawing over black background). It got a 9.4 because CGC said it had a water stain on the cover...there is no water stain..it's just how the white ink is juxtaposed over the black ink appearing like raised surfaces (similar to what water can do to paper)..especially dead center (I have other copies that have the exact same effect).... Just one more insult added to injury. I used to really believe in this company ( at one time I had hundreds of slabs)..oh, well, I will live

I just got back a few books and two they said had stains, but there are no stain. One was a Werewolf By Night 33 that I'm sure is around a 9.0, but they sent it back a 7.0. They don't seem to have anybody to double check grades like I think they used. 

On 1/30/2024 at 12:49 PM, The Lions Den said:

When the condition started to be a thing for me i almost given up the hobby, became sick for stupid deffect... At the beggining my goal was to get complete run, my goal was to read, to enjoy the art! And guess what? All this sh*t, the importance of the condition for the value, and the value itself, while i never bought to resell so why be worried of it? I dont know (shrug)

BUT NOW ITS OVER! I BUY THE BOOK NOT THE GRADE! I WANT TO BE FREE AND MY BOOKS WANT IT TOO!!! 

Edited by BA773

On 2/16/2024 at 7:36 AM, BA773 said:

When the condition started to be a thing for me i almost given up the hobby, became sick for stupid deffect... At the beggining my goal was to get complete run, my goal was to read, to enjoy the art! And guess what? All this sh*t, the importance of the condition for the value, and the value itself, while i never bought to resell so why be worried of it? I dont know (shrug)

BUT NOW ITS OVER! I BUY THE BOOK NOT THE GRADE! I WANT TO BE FREE AND MY BOOKS WANT IT TOO!!! 

You must collect the independent titles... hm 

On 2/16/2024 at 4:37 PM, shadroch said:

It's worse. He thinks he likes DC.  It's a phase.

However im still lost lol

What s the link with the condition? (shrug)

Edited by BA773