• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This place used to be so lively...what happened?
9 9

600 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2023 at 1:34 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Cat might not have known or been involved, nothing wrong with being unlearned, it just means hopefully all reputations can survive or be mended. I had to stop myself at the time even though "piers" at the time thought I had some "zingers" or as you said "intense".

I've been wrong before, as I said I'm human, but I kind of dragged a lot of people into it at the time of my two month "defender of the universe!  :insane: "

But Lord willing we've all moved on, and if people change or revert back to being polite I'm all for it! Better that than being thought of as a catalyst for annoyance. Humans love a good back and forth. I'm not saying it'll never happen again, or that I was wrong for "defending at the time" but more that it shouldn't have had the overwhelming fallout. I tried to call it quits but there was already indifference BEFORE I got there. I can't stop people from blaming me, that would be a no win situation. Just so you know that it hasn't happened in a long while, Lord willing people can find closure or move on (thumbsu

I agree with everything you wrote, but I'll add this.

There are a few bad actors here who don't have genuine intentions and they try to stop people from talking regularly. You've now experienced it with that incident a few years ago and everyone has seen it as people try to shut me, Kav or anyone else down from talking about things they don't want to hear.

This is an important conversation because it's not like any of us are malicious people but we get painted as malicious. Not very fair.

If someone is posting too much the best thing way to remedy it is befriend that someone and discuss it with them. I actually did that when Kav first joined, because I KNEW people would go after him so I tried in my own way to get him to take his foot off on the gas a bit. Kav can confirm this himself, unless I'm imaging that too. lol

People who want to cancel discussion do so under the guise of "what's best for everyone" but what's truly best for everyone is to allow grown ups to finish their conversations and come to conclusions like we just did, otherwise everyone is the worse for it, bitterness is planted and problems never get resolved.

And I think that this conversation alone was worth all the trouble. (worship)

What a beautiful, happy ending. :D

On 11/26/2023 at 1:41 PM, bronze_rules said:

I recall being taken aback by some contentious posters that would post things like an image with a dog recoiling in fear and the caption "shut up newbie" or something similar. There was a lot of bullying on the boards from the in crowds - IMO. I've tried my best just not to engage on that level.

(thumbsu

On 11/27/2023 at 4:18 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

No Worries @Cat I'm human I've got heated. Water under the bridge if we let it (thumbsu

And @VintageComics If you mean Back in 2019 there was a boardie that I was rude too, I may have prolonged it at the time or made it "worse than it was", when it could have been considered a small thing in retrospect.

Mainly and even at the time I felt that I was over harsh and it was mostly dropped. Others who knew me kept their walls up Not "more than I" but for a longer period of time, which when they still felt heated, ahem, some may have thought I was 'still involved', which I wasn't. No hard Feelings.

I only reply because the person I was rude to for himself losing patience with new boardies, well, I don't feel that should be a grudge or a fued that goes on forever.

I've had a 0 point strike point in the 7 years I've been here, have only reported 10 to 15 posts ever, and hardly ever more that 3 to 4 against the same person. I wouldn't say "guilty by association", as I've been passionate too.....

(sorry for the long post) I think what @Cat means is that I repented or tried and nothing else have I got as "heated about" for 4 years, so for the mention of my name out of the blue? But I guess some people still remember it with embarassment?

It wasn't even about being "right or wrong" at the time. I was just defending newcomers, but I was fairly new myself, so it is "easy to see me as part of the problem or back and forth" back then. idk. I don't feel I was but maybe for 2 months, and I even had to tell others (that you've defended) that I didn't want to go around upset all the time, as cat said, not my character.

But I'm human, you could say this about anyone, even the boardie I offended, but we're all human. No worries :cheers: 

He was essentially stating that you were a known major troublemaker on the boards. You are not, and never have been, and no, one minor incident doesn't count (this is what I mean, Addy's way too nice and willing to take responsibility for things that he didn't even do, he's that nice a guy). I corrected him on that, as you are not, and have never had that reputation. 

You merely do your own thing, and get along with basically everyone, you're that kid of person. 

I'm not saying China isn't concerned about the effects of social media on young people - they are. They just haven't completely uprooted the app and turned it into some bland education tool that has no social appeal. Anyone who has ever had a chance to SEE it - and we live in a day and age where you can go online and actually SEE it - can see it's pretty much the same as regular Tik Tok, just... with Chinese people in it exclusively. 

Is the Chinese Government trying to address social media over use concerns? Yes. But in a country where censorship is a way of life, 99% of Douyin is still pretty much open to how the users want to use it.

Here's 6 minutes of scrolling through Douyin:

On 11/26/2023 at 1:06 PM, Cat said:

He was essentially stating that you were a known major troublemaker on the boards. You are not, and never have been, and no, one minor incident doesn't count (this is what I mean, Addy's way too nice and willing to take responsibility for things that he didn't even do, he's that nice a guy). I corrected him on that, as you are not, and have never had that reputation. 

You merely do your own thing, and get along with basically everyone, you're that kid of person. 

ah gotcha, I thought it was some kind of generalization or something lol If incidents from 4 years ago is the only basis for "proof" then we've all got to get some happier memories in the meantime lol 

But ya I'm sure people who have been around and myself included thank you for that @Cat I'm not aware of all the grudges, just with these kinds of threads and names mentioned or when my name is thrown in it's the only thing I can remember....

Once in 7 years, 4 years ago lol 

All a different day and mindset. It is appreciated. I guess some good has come, but Lord willing it is all small potatoes. Surely those 4 years people have read my posts and agree with you :cheers:

Since I survived all the turmoil and people still see me around, I figured @VintageComics was speaking in generalizations, which we could all use a reboot. idk that bringing up the past will help, just "change yourself, they are the only thing under your control!"

Well this went from an interesting topic to really silly overnight. I was going to say that when I joined, the sales threads were awesome because sellers would make a production of their threads almost. They would sell books, keys included, for under market and people would take books without even looking at them. Since I've returned, I've noticed that for the most part people are posting at eBay trying to dodge fees then moving the books to eBay shortly thereafter. Those charming events that were sales threads back then seem to be far a few between. It would also appear that comics general has become the water cooler and every time I see something interesting in comics general and participate, the thread morphs into some squabble about petty nothing and the thread is ruined. It makes it impossible to have anything productive or meaningful. I've basically stayed to a few threads in the Gold forum that are specific to what I collect because these other areas have become a blackhole....

On 11/27/2023 at 5:13 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ah gotcha, I thought it was some kind of generalization or something lol If incidents from 4 years ago is the only basis for "proof" then we've all got to get some happier memories in the meantime lol 

But ya I'm sure people who have been around and myself included thank you for that @Cat I'm not aware of all the grudges, just with these kinds of threads and names mentioned or when my name is thrown in it's the only thing I can remember....

Once in 7 years, 4 years ago lol 

All a different day and mindset. It is appreciated. I guess some good has come, but Lord willing it is all small potatoes. Surely those 4 years people have read my posts and agree with you :cheers:

Since I survived all the turmoil and people still see me around, I figured @VintageComics was speaking in generalizations, which we could all use a reboot. idk that bringing up the past will help, just "change yourself, they are the only thing under your control!"

Yeah, so no, he was incorrect, and does owe you an apology. He's been using you as an example all over the place, harming your good name and reputation, falsely. 

As a counter argument ...

Maybe seeing passionate banter expressed within an infinite number of nested quotes that inevitably resulted in someone being labeled a "feminine flotation device" or suggestions of "placing certain anatomy in an uncomfortable location" or congregating at a commercially owned paved environment which is utilized for temporary storage of static consumer transportation devices kept this place interesting.

-bc

On 11/26/2023 at 11:12 AM, Cat said:

You completely imagined that. 

On 11/26/2023 at 11:16 AM, VintageComics said:

Well, then I guess I was wrong. (worship)

My sincere apologies to @ADAMANTIUM for making that mistake.

Again, I wasn't disparaging him in any way. I simply thought I'd seen others disparage him at one point and was defending everyone's right to coexist. 

On 11/26/2023 at 1:05 PM, VintageComics said:

I agree with everything you wrote, but I'll add this.

This is an important conversation because it's not like any of us are malicious people but we get painted as malicious. Not very fair.

(thumbsu

This is basically the truth of it, and I accept your apology @VintageComics as you weren't involved 4 years ago, and I'll admit after 2 months of seeing all the angst and how many people were involved? I pulled out, as it didn't make any sense to be that "insensed"

If I had zingers to the point that whomever is still feeding you this knowledge, then the boards have mostly forgotten and forgiven, and I wish that to all I've offended. Tmk know one thinks of once in 7 years when defending newcomers that "I'm a troublesome boardie."

Hopefully that helps clarify and justifies your apology, Lord willing to the point that you need not mention me? :wishluck:

Anyway Hope You Find the Solutions that Bring Resolve and Peace to the Boards Experience. Peace!

On 11/26/2023 at 1:32 PM, bc said:

As a counter argument ...

Maybe seeing passionate banter expressed within an infinite number of nested quotes that inevitably resulted in someone being labeled a "feminine flotation device" or suggestions of "placing certain anatomy in an uncomfortable location" or congregating at a commercially owned paved environment which is utilized for temporary storage of static consumer transportation devices kept this place interesting.

-bc

_hH56z.gif

On 11/26/2023 at 2:06 PM, Cat said:

He was essentially stating that you were a known major troublemaker on the boards.

This is not true because I wasn't speaking of any these people as being troublemakers from MY perspective.

It was in the context of disingenuous people who try to shut others down, making people like Kav, Adamantium and Myself out to be troublemakers when it's not true at all.

He did have a dust up, people were nasty to him and I've always been against such behavior.

Look at the context below from my posts:

On 11/25/2023 at 1:27 PM, VintageComics said:

I don't want to speak for Kav, but I've always defended Kav even if we disagree with each other at times, so I'm just going by my observations and defending him again. 

Like me, Kav is a voluminous poster. It irritates some people. Just look at the "meathead" comment on the previous page. That sort of shizzle SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED. 

Who wants to post here when stuff like that is said?

And so, some people get piled on all the time (adamantium was one of them as well, IIRC)

When referencing Adamantium, I clearly qualified my statement by saying "IIRC", meaning "If I am remembering this correctly".

My mistake was saying "all the time" but it was an honest mistake, based on my perception of people attacking him. 

It had NOTHING to do with the quality of him as a person. 

In my next post below, I stated "there's alway someone to complain about" in the context that I'd seen the dustup years before, saw that people were mistreating Adamantium and that I was opposed to such treatment. 

On 11/26/2023 at 2:35 AM, VintageComics said:

You should have seen the uproar when I upped my posting volume. If Mike showed a chart, it would have looked like Mt. Everest and boy did people complain.  :wink:

Bosco, Adamantium, 1950's war (no offense meant against any of them), ME. There's always going to be someone to complain about. The solution is to figure out how to get along, not how to stay divided. 

For goodness sakes, I may have even been in that thread defending the poor guy many years ago. 

--------------------------------------

Not once did I speak about Adamantium in a negative way. I've always defended his and everyone else's right to express themselves. 

Then YOU came along and started disparaging me.

Why? Because you have a long habit of doing that. You've followed me around since I've been back (and in other places) and several times either posted negative things toward me or disparaging emojis on my posts.

And all because you disagree with either my politics or the ideological principles I stand for.

Yet, not once have you been able to overturn a single one of my points using logic or reason. 

Ironically, this is the sort of behavior I want rooted out. lol

Feel free to apologize for accusing me of something I didn't do. 

M'kay? Thanks. 

bgf8f8f8-flat750x075f-pad750x1000f8f8f8_u2.jpg.80de5eb2fe948861c51af10ce30a08eb.jpg

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/26/2023 at 2:00 PM, Buzzetta said:

So basically this has become another, “Look at me”, “The good people were driven away by the bad people” and an, “I’ve been maligned” thread.

So the original question was redundant. 

I thought it had been deader within the past year, if CGC MIKE hadn't posted stats, maybe you're right in that it's just not the "usual suspects." I don't think Roy is out of line trying to redeem himself, then there is the: every other thread, every other post monotony that makes you not want to be associated with in as well....

Spoiler

BXF5nu7uAcXE=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0