• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This place used to be so lively...what happened?
9 9

600 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2023 at 11:58 AM, wombat said:

So how is it used in other countries? Closer to the US or China?

You're asking me how Tik Tok is used in countries close to either the US or China?

I believe it's used one way within China and differently outside of China in all other countries How it's used in the Canada, UK, Australia and elsewhere compared to the US is probably going to vary based on each culture. In Canada it's used in much the same way as in the US from what I've seen.

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/26/2023 at 12:06 PM, Cat said:

You've repeatedly used his name in a negative fashion, in multiple places. It's not cool at all. He's a great guy and not your whipping boy. He's never been involved in any drama, and frankly he'd be the last person I'd ever expect to see in any, he's just not that kind of person. He's polite to the extreme. 

You'd do well to try and emulate his behaviour. Hell, most of us would. 

Just not his grammar at times. :jokealert:

Let me repeat again: I have never had a problem with him and I think he's a great person.

The fact that YOU see something that isn't there speaks more about you. 

I've used his name next to mine and several other boardies, as an example of how people with lots of posts can irritate some people. Nothing more. You're irritated by me so you see the worst in what I write.  

To resolve this, you never answered my question so I'll rephrase. 

Did some other boardies have a problem with Adamantium at one time or did I imagine that?

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/26/2023 at 12:08 PM, VintageComics said:

You're asking me how Tik Tok is used in countries close to either the US or China?

I believe it's used one way within China and differently outside of China in all other countries How it's used in the Canada, UK, Australia and elsewhere compared to the US is probably going to vary based on each culture. In Canada it's used in much the same way in the US from what I've seen.

You seemed to focus very much on Americans in your post, so that is where my question was coming from. I'm curious if you think other countries outside the US know how it works in China and if you think that impacted how they use it. 

On 11/27/2023 at 3:11 AM, VintageComics said:

Let me repeat again: I have never had a problem with him and I think he's a great person.

The fact that YOU see something that isn't there speaks more about you. 

I've used his name next to mine and several other boardies, as an example of how people with lots of posts can irritate some people. Nothing more. 

To resolve this, you never answered my question so I'll rephrase. 

Did some other boardies have a problem with Adamantium at one time or did I imagine that?

You completely imagined that. 

On 11/26/2023 at 11:49 AM, wombat said:

Sure, knowing more about the world is great. Knowing how a social media platform operates in China? To each his own I guess. To think that is sad seems really odd to me. And to think if people did knew how it was used in China would influence how it is used elsewhere seems like a major stretch to me. 

No idea how Tik Tok operates in China because, I don't have Tik Tok nor have I ever used it save for possibly a day or two when I wanted to watch Gordan Ramsay.  So, my interest in Tik Tok as a platform is pretty non-existent.  However, for a hot minute I did have Snapchat. I have not posted on that platform in around seven years, but I keep Snapchat on my phone as it is a fun way to see what people in other nations are up to. 

Here is what I have learned.  Everyone around the world during their leisure time, unless their nation is embroiled in conflict or some type of national crisis, like to post pics of their driving skills while listening to music, the parties they go to, their feet propped up on something while watching the waves, their pets, their kids, the food they are about to eat, and if you are in the Middle East, the food stereotype is often true, they love taking pics of their coffee. 

Everyone is pretty much the same online at heart. 

Hot spots show many public posts.  Blue spots show regions of less use but posts within the last 24 hrs. 

IMG_5086B4ABF3E9-1.jpeg

Edited by Buzzetta

On 11/26/2023 at 12:12 PM, Cat said:

Well, then I guess I was wrong. (worship)

My sincere apologies to @ADAMANTIUM for making that mistake.

Again, I wasn't disparaging him in any way. I simply thought I'd seen others disparage him at one point and was defending everyone's right to coexist. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/26/2023 at 11:30 AM, VintageComics said:

I believe that knowing more about the world around you benefits society, and people with roots outside of the North America will generally agree with this. Talk to anyone from outside of North America and they know more about America than the Americans know about the other country.

Americans in particular have a very different view of the world in that they generally don't know or care what goes on outside of their borders. 

Your answer is in the @WolverineX post which you quoted with mine, but to expound:

Tik Tok is a Chinese invention, which is an important point, and in the West Tik Tok used very differently than in China. 

In China there are time limits and the content is different. People use it to promote their personal educational accomplishments, etc. 

In the West Tik Tok is used by the crack smoking, trashy crowd to promote things like the Tide Pod challenge. lol

If Westerners knew about this, it may influence how they use Tik Tok. Again, knowing more about the world around you makes society better overall.

Social media has had a very negative effect on the West - that is indisputable, and some experts believe that Tik Tok is actually (either inadvertently or purposefully) dumbing down the West while maintaining higher social standards in the West. To be more blunt, some believe Tik Tok is a CCP device used to socially dumb down society in the West. We're at a level of foreign policy warfare now that this is actually very possible. 

That is an entirely different discussion, but you asked, so...

IMG_1852.jpeg

Some of the newer people on this forum may not know this story, but the old timer's definitely will. 

There was a scandal here many years ago about someone trimming books. Then, a well known dealer got caught trying to slip a knowingly trimmed book from this trimmer which ended up in a purple label, back into a blue holder by re-submitting the book they knew to be trimmed to CGC.

A reputable dealer who I believe is known for their integrity came onto the forums to expose the trimmed book debacle because they felt it was the right thing to do. 

Eventually, somehow, the conversation turned onto the dealer exposing the crime even though he did nothing wrong but come on here and try to war everyone. doh!

This is how large crowds operate. There is always going to be people who see the worst and people who see the best in everything, and more often than not, the people who tend to see the worst in others are often the same people who can't see the same in themselves.

On 11/26/2023 at 2:24 AM, namisgr said:

What happened?

• Distributors of dystopia
  • Purveyors of paranoia
  • Blowhards of baloney
  • Antipodes of self awareness
  • Nellies of narcissism
  • Palaverous posting
  • Miscreants of misinformation
  • Flyers of fantasy
  • Envies of expertise
  • Pushers of pretense
  • Nabobs of negativity
  • Cynics of scholarship
  • Slanderers of civics
  • etcetera, etcetera, etcetera

For posters who view the world and surround themselves with people in their daily lives filled with optimism, selflessness, positivity, commitment, sensitivity, community, fairness, earned expertise, rich experience, deep knowledge, joviality, and admiration, this place has become too often an unenjoyable and ugly turnoff.  So many have either stopped posting entirely or bunkered themselves into small and highly focused pockets they've found still bring enjoyable social interaction.

Specific to comics, whereas the boards were once predominated by collectors and hobbyists sharing enthusiasm and love for the comic book medium, they have evolved to predomination by investors, flippers, and the like focused on the commercial aspects of the hobby more so than the entertainment and creative art.  There's nothing wrong with that evolution, which flowed naturally from the  huge increase in comic book values and appreciation by the culture at large for the characters and their stories since the boards were first started.  It just doesn't support a set of discussion topics that some of the longstanding hobbyists and collectors find especially interesting.

I've joined other boards that seem a lot more interested in objectively and thoroughly discussing love of specific artists, storylines, and comic content in general. I've always found this board to be more centered on collecting and debating things like pressing, restoration, and grading. I'd also add cover art is a strong theme here as opposed to internal content.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 11/26/2023 at 12:50 PM, bronze_rules said:
On 11/26/2023 at 5:24 AM, namisgr said:

What happened?

• Distributors of dystopia
  • Purveyors of paranoia
  • Blowhards of baloney
  • Antipodes of self awareness
  • Nellies of narcissism
  • Palaverous posting
  • Miscreants of misinformation
  • Flyers of fantasy
  • Envies of expertise
  • Pushers of pretense
  • Nabobs of negativity
  • Cynics of scholarship
  • Slanderers of civics
  • etcetera, etcetera, etcetera

For posters who view the world and surround themselves with people in their daily lives filled with optimism, selflessness, positivity, commitment, sensitivity, community, fairness, earned expertise, rich experience, deep knowledge, joviality, and admiration, this place has become too often an unenjoyable and ugly turnoff.  So many have either stopped posting entirely or bunkered themselves into small and highly focused pockets they've found still bring enjoyable social interaction.

Specific to comics, whereas the boards were once predominated by collectors and hobbyists sharing enthusiasm and love for the comic book medium, they have evolved to predomination by investors, flippers, and the like focused on the commercial aspects of the hobby more so than the entertainment and creative art.  There's nothing wrong with that evolution, which flowed naturally from the  huge increase in comic book values and appreciation by the culture at large for the characters and their stories since the boards were first started.  It just doesn't support a set of discussion topics that some of the longstanding hobbyists and collectors find especially interesting.

Expand  

I've joined other boards that seem a lot more interested in objectively and thoroughly discussing love of specific artists, storylines, and comic content in general. I've always found this board to be more centered on collecting and debating things like pressing, restoration, and grading. I'd also add cover art is a strong theme here as opposed to internal content.

That's entirely because CGC is the single most powerful driving force in the rising value of comics, and they also have made the cover the focus of the entire product.

For people who weren't involved in the hobby 20 years ago, discussing whether CGC was going to be around in a few years was a real discussion. lol

Then, when it was apparent they were going to "stick around" that discussion evolved into "well, why aren't they grading by Overstreet standards"

Now the discussion is "Why isn't Overstreet grading by CGC standards" :devil:

This is a form of "social programming", albeit not a negative one, but this community has been programmed over time, by the dollar values and the cover appeal to gravitate towards those things at the expense of the more purist ways of looking at the hobby.

So the community is a product of the force that drives them and unless most people choose to act less like consumers and more like appreciators of art, nothing will change.

The way to change that is for people to make an actual effort to look past those things. I always have tried to be on the losing side. I cracked my personal books out to show the interiors. I've talked about the negative effects of the movies on the hobby long term by creating short term spikes. I've spoken out against the premiums people pay for certain qualities because I feel they're not worth those premiums. 

But if more people don't actively participate in those things, they won't stem the tide. 

On 11/26/2023 at 10:05 AM, VintageComics said:

That's entirely because CGC is the single most powerful driving force in the rising value of comics, and they also have made the cover the focus of the entire product.

For people who weren't involved in the hobby 20 years ago, discussing whether CGC was going to be around in a few years was a real discussion. lol

Then, when it was apparent they were going to "stick around" that discussion evolved into "well, why aren't they grading by Overstreet standards"

Now the discussion is "Why isn't Overstreet grading by CGC standards" :devil:

This is a form of "social programming", albeit not a negative one, but this community has been programmed over time, by the dollar values and the cover appeal to gravitate towards those things at the expense of the more purist ways of looking at the hobby.

So the community is a product of the force that drives them and unless most people choose to act less like consumers and more like appreciators of art, nothing will change.

The way to change that is for people to make an actual effort to look past those things. I always have tried to be on the losing side. I cracked my personal books out to show the interiors. I've talked about the negative effects of the movies on the hobby long term by creating short term spikes. I've spoken out against the premiums people pay for certain qualities because I feel they're not worth those premiums. 

But if more people don't actively participate in those things, they won't stem the tide. 

I'll be the first to admit that this board (and particularly bronze horror posters like Sterling) are what got me back into comics and specifically cover desire after a decades long hiatus.

It took me some time to gravitate back to the things that drove me in my earlier years like content and appreciation of artists and storytelling.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 11/26/2023 at 11:16 AM, VintageComics said:
On 11/26/2023 at 11:12 AM, Cat said:

Well, then I guess I was wrong. (worship)

My sincere apologies to @ADAMANTIUM for making that mistake.

Again, I wasn't disparaging him in any way. I simply thought I'd seen others disparage him at one point and was defending everyone's right to coexist. 

No Worries @Cat I'm human I've got heated. Water under the bridge if we let it (thumbsu

And @VintageComics If you mean Back in 2019 there was a boardie that I was rude too, I may have prolonged it at the time or made it "worse than it was", when it could have been considered a small thing in retrospect.

Mainly and even at the time I felt that I was over harsh and it was mostly dropped. Others who knew me kept their walls up Not "more than I" but for a longer period of time, which when they still felt heated, ahem, some may have thought I was 'still involved', which I wasn't. No hard Feelings.

I only reply because the person I was rude to for himself losing patience with new boardies, well, I don't feel that should be a grudge or a fued that goes on forever.

I've had a 0 point strike point in the 7 years I've been here, have only reported 10 to 15 posts ever, and hardly ever more that 3 to 4 against the same person. I wouldn't say "guilty by association", as I've been passionate too.....

(sorry for the long post) I think what @Cat means is that I repented or tried and nothing else have I got as "heated about" for 4 years, so for the mention of my name out of the blue? But I guess some people still remember it with embarassment?

It wasn't even about being "right or wrong" at the time. I was just defending newcomers, but I was fairly new myself, so it is "easy to see me as part of the problem or back and forth" back then. idk. I don't feel I was but maybe for 2 months, and I even had to tell others (that you've defended) that I didn't want to go around upset all the time, as cat said, not my character.

But I'm human, you could say this about anyone, even the boardie I offended, but we're all human. No worries :cheers: 

On 11/26/2023 at 1:18 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

No Worries @Cat I'm human I've got heated. Water under the bridge if we let it (thumbsu

And @VintageComics If you mean Back in 2019 there was a boardie that I was rude too, I may have prolonged it at the time or made it "worse than it was", when it could have been considered a small thing in retrospect.

Mainly and even at the time I felt that I was over harsh and it was mostly dropped. Others who knew me kept their walls up Not "more than I" but for a longer period of time, which when they still felt heated, ahem, some may have thought I was 'still involved', which I wasn't. No hard Feelings.

I only reply because the person I was rude to for himself losing patience with new boardies, well, I don't feel that should be a grudge or a fued that goes on forever.

I've had a 0 point strike point in the 7 years I've been here, have only reported 10 to 15 posts ever, and hardly ever more that 3 to 4 against the same person. I wouldn't say "guilty by association", as I've been passionate too.....

(sorry for the long post) I think what @Cat means is that I repented or tried and nothing else have I got as "heated about" for 4 years, so for the mention of my name out of the blue? But I guess some people still remember it with embarassment?

It wasn't even about being "right or wrong" at the time. I was just defending newcomers, but I was fairly new myself, so it is "easy to see me as part of the problem or back and forth" back then. idk. I don't feel I was but maybe for 2 months, and I even had to tell others (that you've defended) that I didn't want to go around upset all the time, as cat said, not my character.

But I'm human, you could say this about anyone, even the boardie I offended, but we're all human. No worries :cheers: 

Well now, isn't that a turn of events?

OK, so I DIDN'T imagine it like Cat accused me of doing. doh!

Thanks for clarifying. 

Like you, as soon as I joined back in 2004 I too started defending newcomers and took a little heat for it and here I am defending people and taking heat for it 20 years later. Some things never change. lol

Now imagine if we lived in a cancel culture society and weren't able to talk these things through properly to their final conlcusion? :wink:

For what it's worth @ADAMANTIUM the reason I have never thought ill of you is because, quite literally, when you post, I see myself in your posts.  You seem to post in a similar spirit as I do, with the intent to want to make things better for everyone.

I just have better grammar and spelling. :baiting:

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/26/2023 at 12:25 PM, VintageComics said:

Well now, isn't that a turn of events?

OK, so I DIDN'T imagine it like Cat accused me of doing. doh!

Thanks for clarifying. 

Like you, as soon as I joined back in 2004 I too started defending newcomers and took a little heat for it and here I am defending people and taking heat for it 20 years later. Some things never change. lol

Now imagine if we lived in a cancel culture society and weren't able to talk these things through properly to their final conlcusion? :wink:

For what it's worth @ADAMANTIUM the reason I have never thought ill of you is because, quite literally, when you post, I see myself in your posts.  You seem to post in the same spirit as I do only I'm a little more intense. 

Minus the grammar and spelling. :baiting:

Cat might not have known or been involved, nothing wrong with being unlearned, it just means hopefully all reputations can survive or be mended. I had to stop myself at the time even though "piers" at the time thought I had some "zingers" or as you said "intense".

I've been wrong before, as I said I'm human, but I kind of dragged a lot of people into it at the time of my two month "defender of the universe!  :insane: "

But Lord willing we've all moved on, and if people change or revert back to being polite I'm all for it! Better that than being thought of as a catalyst for annoyance. Humans love a good back and forth. I'm not saying it'll never happen again, or that I was wrong for "defending at the time" but more that it shouldn't have had the overwhelming fallout. I tried to call it quits but there was already indifference BEFORE I got there. I can't stop people from blaming me, that would be a no win situation. Just so you know that it hasn't happened in a long while, Lord willing people can find closure or move on (thumbsu

On 11/26/2023 at 10:18 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I recall being taken aback by some contentious posters that would post things like an image with a dog recoiling in fear and the caption "shut up newbie" or something similar. There was a lot of bullying on the boards from the some of the in crowds - IMO. I've tried my best just not to engage on that level.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 11/26/2023 at 12:41 PM, bronze_rules said:

I recall some contentious posters that would post things like an image with a dog recoiling in fear and the caption "shut up newbie" or something similar. There was a lot of bullying on the boards from the in crowds - IMO. I've tried my best just not to engage on that level. 

Ya lol

I certainly thought that I was "in the right" at the time, which I kind of still feel justified but NOT IN THE FALLOUT.

I was here 3 years, and if I knew the push for defense would retreat everyone to their corners before hand? idk if I would have thought it was a "good thing" edit here to say (idk if it was my intention). Heck! I still don't know :( 

All I know and pray is that everyone sleeps well at night! There was nothing criminal or overly insulting to have, imo, the remembrance of it they have. 2 months and I was out. Yet my name is associated with it still. I have no idea. I can't even make recompense. It couldn't have been all me, but maybe I'm an easy fall guy? Hasn't really been too hurtful, except in threads like this that peels off scabs, so :sorry: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/26/2023 at 11:30 PM, VintageComics said:

Tik Tok is a Chinese invention, which is an important point, and in the West Tik Tok used very differently than in China. 

Not really. Have you ever actually SEEN it?

In China there are time limits and the content is different.

The time limits are for 14 and under users only. 

People use it to promote their personal educational accomplishments, etc. 

Anyone who's actually SEEN Douyin can assure you it's pretty much the same kind of content as Tik Tok. You can actually view feeds from it recorded on Youtube. As opposed to just listening to what some clown from a podcast TELLS you it is. 

In the West Tik Tok is used by the crack smoking, trashy crowd to promote things like the Tide Pod challenge. lol

You're comparing the 0.5% of what's terrible on Tik Tok to the 0.5% of what's GOOD about Douyin. Extremely disingenuous.

Generally speaking, both apps look about the same in terms of content. Chinese young people like to have fun and make videos too.

I think it's important for Americans to learn about foreign cultures. 

If Westerners knew about this, it may influence how they use Tik Tok. Again, knowing more about the world around you makes society better overall.

Social media has had a very negative effect on the West - that is indisputable, and some experts believe that Tik Tok is actually (either inadvertently or purposefully) dumbing down the West while maintaining higher social standards in the West. To be more blunt, some believe Tik Tok is a CCP device used to socially dumb down society in the West. We're at a level of foreign policy warfare now that this is actually very possible. 

OR Douyin is a CCP device used to brainwash their own people. Works both ways. 

Social Media is a concern. So in this instance you believe in censorship?