• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This place used to be so lively...what happened?
9 9

600 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2023 at 1:36 PM, 1950's war comics said:

it's been a ghost town around here without kav's great posts ... kav knew a lot about comics and comic book art !

i am glad Vintage has picked up some of the slack in trying to make these boards great again(worship)

I've been gone a bit, what happened to Kav?

On 11/25/2023 at 6:27 PM, COI said:
On 11/25/2023 at 6:09 PM, VintageComics said:

In social interactions it's tougher to be objective, but on a spectrum, it's much easier to weed out when someone has posted "too much abuse"  than it is when someone has posted "too much content" and that really was my central point. 

I agree with the part in bold. I think any reasonable person would agree that abuse needs to be addressed and stamped out. But because social interactions are complicated, you can't always neatly delineate these things.

I knew we were close and glad we can finally meet on common ground. (worship)

Following the string of conversation, we both agree that conflict is not desirable.

So now, in regards to your quote which I bolded above, I agree with you that it's hard to 'delineate' or be 'black and white' about everything but again, on a spectrum, using extreme examples it's not THAT HARD to figure out when there's a clear pattern of behavior that rises above the noise, is it? 

And that's what I'm specifically addressing, because we were talking about Kav. (obviously, we started talking about Kav, but I can also speak from my own personal experience and I'd also add RMA into the mix) We're polarizing personalities that drew heat on us, were constrained or resisted in similar ways by turning down our ability to speak out, and I think 3 of us more or less generally agree that those ways weren't done objectively or fairly, in the sense that others were still allowed to carry on their end of the conversations.

And I maintain that the better (and easier) way to turn down the heat is for moderation to focus on the obvious abuse "bad posting" rather than focus on the not so obvious "too much posting".

Again, I just want to be frank that this genuinely was never originally meant to be a "personal proxy war" discussion on my part about why I was moderated. I've fully accepted responsibility for my own actions, believe I deserved the moderation I got (towards the end anyway), but I do believe it could have been done better in the middle stages and we could have avoided getting to that point in the first place. 

I genuinely just wanted discussion on why there is so much less posting traffic than there used to be but lots of people have openly stated that this is one of the main reasons they're either not returning or not posting as much. They felt they couldn't speak openly for fear of retaliation after seeing what people like Kav (or me, and I'll even add RMA) went through. 

I also think it's important to point out and commend the fact that Mike has changed how he moderates for the better in my books, learning from what I now call "The Great Covid Wars", from which MANY of us learned a lot the hard way. lol

But, just as hindsight is 20/20 when analyzing foreign policy and how it affected war, I always felt that it could have been prevented as a community. 

On 11/25/2023 at 8:44 AM, Namtak said:

Ive read some old post(even some complained i was reviving old post lol)

Asked questions to old boardies.

When i joined in 2021 my english writting was so bad that many boardies were confused as of what i was writting lol @Comics4All,sentince?

@Namtak Oh yeah! Your Sentinces were legendary! 😂 

On 11/25/2023 at 5:34 PM, bc said:

Seems like only yesterday....

image.png.efe8e20053dcd6b3b5c982042a436de2.png

-bc

At least your posts were moved to the "deleted" subforum; when I got kicked from the registry forum my posts were hard deleted. They really had it in for me.. lol:wavingwhiteflag:

On 11/25/2023 at 7:10 PM, DougC said:

At least your posts were moved to the "deleted" subforum; when I got kicked from the registry forum my posts were hard deleted. They really had it in for me.. lol:wavingwhiteflag:

Oh, tell me more. I want to hear the juicy details. :devil:

On 11/24/2023 at 6:23 PM, VintageComics said:

Me and some friends were just chatting about this a few days ago via PM. 

This place used to have DOZENS of new posts every hour and on a Friday night there would be boardies having drinks and chatting the night away in one thread or another. 

There were regular sellers on Friday nights that would start sales threads, just as Friday night entertainment and those threads would have dozens of pages in an evening. 

For people that have just joined in the last 3-4 years, you wouldn't recognize this place, it used to be so busy. 

Where have all the good times gone?

:shy:

On 11/25/2023 at 7:07 PM, VintageComics said:

I knew we were close and glad we can finally meet on common ground. (worship)

Following the string of conversation, we both agree that conflict is not desirable.

So now, in regards to your quote which I bolded above, I agree with you that it's hard to 'delineate' or be 'black and white' about everything but again, on a spectrum, using extreme examples it's not THAT HARD to figure out when there's a clear pattern of behavior that rises above the noise, is it? 

And that's what I'm specifically addressing, because we were talking about Kav. (obviously, we started talking about Kav, but I can also speak from my own personal experience and I'd also add RMA into the mix) We're polarizing personalities that drew heat on us, were constrained or resisted in similar ways by turning down our ability to speak out, and I think 3 of us more or less generally agree that those ways weren't done objectively or fairly, in the sense that others were still allowed to carry on their end of the conversations.

We all have different experiences and temperaments, so I can only really speak to mine. When I'm having issues with people, I just don't expect any sort of moderation to make things right or even be consistent. That's not to say they can't, I'm just not holding my breath. I'd rather be proactive and focus on myself and my own behavior.

When the room is turning on me, I try to figure out exactly what it is that people are trying to say. That doesn't mean I have to agree, but I can at least address the issue when we're clear about what the issue is. As opposed to getting defensive and doubling down. And that has served me well. I can be pretty argumentative, but as far as I can tell no one has held any grudges in 20 years on here. If they have, they're keeping it to themselves.

On 11/25/2023 at 7:24 PM, Mac Man said:

Please tell me you’re still rockin and rollin?-)

As my good friend @davidpg like to put it:

"Rollin' with the punches like Rocky!" lol

I actually am. Life is great and I am blending comics and rock and roll in greater measure than ever before. :headbang:

On 11/25/2023 at 4:32 PM, VintageComics said:

As my good friend @davidpg like to put it:

"Rollin' with the punches like Rocky!" lol

I actually am. Life is great and I am blending comics and rock and roll in greater measure than ever before. :headbang:

What kinda rockin'? Band? Session player? Sunset Strip cruiser?