• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM, is it a good price?
1 1

56 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2023 at 11:21 AM, mlovest said:

More fun...  Maybe I'm just an honest and life-long collector who's trying to get something reasonable for truly high-grade comics.  I collected Spider-Man comics and comics with Spidey on the cover, generally no later than 1990 for the cover appearances.  Some of those you may consider drek, but it's not easy to find Marvel Barbie 36 and Alf 47 (or Avengers #11!) in tight NM condition.  Maybe try an not assume the worst in people like myself, who have been on these boards since before some of you were born.  Maybe...  Or just assume I'm a jerk and maybe miss out on some great books.

Regardless, have a great day and happy collecting!

Look, I hear you. 

You took time, cherry picked books to get the best you could find. A true collector's mentality for sure, and one that buyers appreciate, of course.

Problem is, as I'm sure you know while selling them, is that, buyers, rarely take into account any of that stuff... Best bang for your buck. Best condition for the dollar.

Message boards and members on here, like talking and connecting, and showing off their collection, much to what you're describing... but buying? That's a different beast.

I agree with you, try not to assume the worst in people, and assume you're some jerk trying to screw you, but from someone who has bought books over the years, that's exactly what I've purchased in terms of raw books. Overpriced, overstated, overgraded raw books. Not saying that's you. I'm saying that's the general situation. 

On 12/1/2023 at 7:06 AM, BA773 said:

Lol this guy is a madman i asked him how much he want for 400 to 700, and he give me a price of 9k...

I dont blame him for trying to get what he thinks they should fetch.

He quoted me a price on issues 400 to 441 that I just couldnt pay and I countered at $10 a book.

We couldnt make that deal happen, but again, I understand where hes coming from.

I think im a lot like him.

Collecting the ASM run that I have, in NM+ condition (#194 - 400), was a long road to travel with many, many bumps along the way.

I wouldnt ... I couldnt possibly part with them for less than what they are worth TO ME but thats how I know, barring tragedy, that I will never sell them.

Ill leave them for my kids to deal with.

That being said, if I ever do NEED to sell them, I understand the comic market and I know what to expect.

Most buyers simply wont buy a long run with zero key issues for more than $5 a book.

Thats why most folks will try and sell the keys for top dollar but take a bit of a bath on the non keys.

Thats just how the market works.

I have seen NM / ASM runs of issues 300 to 400 sell for $2000 on Ebay.

But there are some nice keys in that run.

I have been trying to sell my Son's 1500 books (mostly 80's/90's, no real keys that I am aware of, the major keys were all sold individually) as a lot for $900.00 (.60 cents each) and all I have received is two offers of $500.00 (about .33 cents per book).

Edited by marvelmaniac

On 12/1/2023 at 8:27 AM, sd2416 said:

I was just pointing out the price point for 400-700 and that guys 400-499 were the same, as was CA location.  You can be a good buyer and seller and be out of wack on prices at times.  We all have done it.  

Not sure where you're getting your price point from.  I never offered this grouping of comics.  Even at true NM, $3K is way overpriced for raws in this range (400-499).  Agreed re being out of wack from time to time on pricing.

Edited by mlovest

On 12/1/2023 at 10:11 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I have been trying to sell my Son's 1500 books (mostly 80's/90's, no real keys that I am aware of, the major keys were all sold individually) as a lot for $900.00 (.60 cents each) and all I have received is two offers of $500.00 (about .33 cents per book).

Six months ago, I was putting in twenty-one-cent bids on almost  Marvel lot I'd come across.   I was winning too many so now I'm at eleven cents a book, and am winning enough to keep bidding.  

On 12/1/2023 at 11:21 AM, mlovest said:

Not sure where you're getting your price point from.  I never offered this grouping of comics.  Even at true NM, $3K is way overpriced for raws in this range (400-499).  Agreed re being out of wack from time to time on pricing.

If I misunderstood the comment below and the thread that was quoted in it, I apologize @mlovest.  300 books (400-700) for 9000.00 and 400-499 for 3000.00 is the same price point.  

On 12/1/2023 at 6:06 AM, BA773 said:

Lol this guy is a madman i asked him how much he want for 400 to 700, and he give me a price of 9k...

Heck no.  Each week, dozens of small auction houses conduct auctions. Some of them seem to have endless supplies of comics, while others rarely have any.  Some are open to the public, some require some sort of membership. Some have hundreds of watchers, some have half a dozen.

On 12/2/2023 at 3:54 AM, shadroch said:

Heck no.  Each week, dozens of small sex houses conduct swinger nights. Some of them seem to have endless supplies of women, while others rarely have any.  Some are open to the public, some require some sort of membership. Some have hundreds of watchers, some have half a dozen.

(tsk)

On 12/1/2023 at 8:29 AM, D2 said:

Look, I hear you. 

You took time, cherry picked books to get the best you could find. A true collector's mentality for sure, and one that buyers appreciate, of course.

Problem is, as I'm sure you know while selling them, is that, buyers, rarely take into account any of that stuff... Best bang for your buck. Best condition for the dollar.

Message boards and members on here, like talking and connecting, and showing off their collection, much to what you're describing... but buying? That's a different beast.

I agree with you, try not to assume the worst in people, and assume you're some jerk trying to screw you, but from someone who has bought books over the years, that's exactly what I've purchased in terms of raw books. Overpriced, overstated, overgraded raw books. Not saying that's you. I'm saying that's the general situation. 

Sounds like the Mile High approach.

As someone who is beginning to build an ASM run, I'd like certain books to be a certain grade.  For example, all modern books I'd like to get NM, and NM books are more readily available.  But the older the book, the less fussy I am about grade.  I'm presently completing issues 200-250.  If someone has a NM copy for $10 and someone has a VF copy for $3, I'm gonna take the VF copy because many of those books aren't special keys.  They're books that I imagine has little demand, so it doesn't matter much to me whether it's NM or not.  It needs to look nice enough and not be falling apart at the staples.  If there's a small color breaking crease, no biggy, it's just going to sit on my shelf anyways so I can say "I have a collection of ASM vol 1".  Increasing the price of books reduces the number of collectors you're catering to.  He values money over time and he's really just looking for one collector who values the opposite: time over money.  Someone who is looking for the convenience of finishing off a collection hastily and has the money to do it.  For a lot of us, I don't think that's how we operate.  There's a "thrill of the hunt" of finding these books at reasonable prices.  If I have $9k, I'm certainly not buying issues 400-700 like BA777 was quoted.  I'm putting that money towards a graded ASM1 of AF15.  

On 12/1/2023 at 8:21 AM, mlovest said:

More fun...  Maybe I'm just an honest and life-long collector who's trying to get something reasonable for truly high-grade comics.  I collected Spider-Man comics and comics with Spidey on the cover, generally no later than 1990 for the cover appearances.  Some of those you may consider drek, but it's not easy to find Marvel Barbie 36 and Alf 47 (or Avengers #11!) in tight NM condition.  Maybe try and not assume the worst in people like myself, who have been on these boards since before some of you were born.  Maybe...  Or just assume I'm a jerk and maybe miss out on some great books.

Regardless, have a great day and happy collecting!

Relax. I didn’t say you were “dishonest” or a “jerk” just maybe “optimistic”. You are obviously aware of what you have. And being so, you should know what average run books go for even in top shape. Sure, you might have some left that are a little tougher than others but let’s be real. Pretty much everything you have for sale could be had pretty easily with a quick internet search.

I just think your emotional attachment might be out weighing reality.

I have been collecting since the mid ‘60’s. Probably before you were born. Believe me, I have seen it all.

No hard feelings. I hope you get a price that you can live with and your collection goes to a good home. :foryou:

On 12/1/2023 at 10:18 AM, Robot Man said:

Relax. I didn’t say you were “dishonest” or a “jerk” just maybe “optimistic”. You are obviously aware of what you have. And being so, you should know what average run books go for even in top shape. Sure, you might have some left that are a little tougher than others but let’s be real. Pretty much everything you have for sale could be had pretty easily with a quick internet search.

I just think your emotional attachment might be out weighing reality.

I have been collecting since the mid ‘60’s. Probably before you were born. Believe me, I have seen it all.

No hard feelings. I hope you get a price that you can live with and your collection goes to a good home. :foryou:

Born in early '60s... :cheers:

Biggest issue with the majority of ASM issues other than the odd few such as the first Cletus, first Carnage, SM 2099 along with a couple Larson Venom covers and the cosmic Carnage 430/431 combo, the vast majority of books from say 330-700 aren't ever going to be worth one's while to pay 30 dollars a book. If one was to get them graded and try and make anything off of them, add in 25 + 5 S&H to get them graded, and you're at 60USD per book. Now that's if they are 100% all 9.8s which isn't gonna happen anytime on god's green earth with an ebay lot. Those books mostly are going to sell for 60-75USD slabbed in CGC 9.8 blue label if you're lucky. The more modern the book the less and less the price other than rare variants I suppose. There's no possible good outcome from paying anything near this amount. The only real benefit is not having to buy each slab on it's own and paying much more for individual shipping per book from each seller if you plan on keeping them all in your collection yourself and you do come up with a rare high amount of 9.8s somehow. Those prices are absolutely insane for raw books of this type. As someone mentioned previously I'd agree on maybe $10 per book if in really nice condition.

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

Just did a search for Alf 47 on the bay. There are 7 on right now. SEVEN. Two sold at around $10. Granted in fine condition not “nm”. This is not a “rare” book. With a little patience, I could find a better one for a fairly nominal price. And how many people have that high on their want list?

Much cheaper than buying boxes of books for thousands. Same thing with Avengers 11 and pretty much else you could mention.

Just reality…

On 12/1/2023 at 10:28 AM, Robot Man said:

Just did a search for Alf 47 on the bay. There are 7 on right now. SEVEN. Two sold at around $10. Granted in fine condition not “nm”. This is not a “rare” book. With a little patience, I could find a better one for a fairly nominal price. And how many people have that high on their want list?

Much cheaper than buying boxes of books for thousands. Same thing with Avengers 11 and pretty much else you could mention.

Just reality…

Same page...  Just meant that you can find them but it's a lot of work and time and money.  When I was still buying, I loved finding a collector with top-notch books who could help me fill in tricky books, even if they are "common."  It's WAY easier to find a hundred ASM 300s in 9.6/9.8 than one truly NM Barbie 36.  :peace:

On 12/1/2023 at 10:33 AM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

Here's a couple shining examples of 2 I sold in the early 400's not too long back lol

image.thumb.png.af6f7bb0b1c55b404dbff49ef2174c57.png

Yep...  I know there are some out there trying to build CGC 9.8 W sets of later ASMs.  Just too much space to store them all.  And of course, the time and expense to get them submitted.  That said, I have submitted some books specifically because it's so hard to sell them unless they are graded.  If I tell someone a comic is 9.6 and ask for $30, someone might offer $10-15.  If I pay $40 to get it graded and shipped to MyComics, someone might pay $65.  So, I can make $25 versus $10-15.  The math doesn't add when it's a lower dollar books, obviously...

Edited by mlovest