• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Kirby art results
3 3

125 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2024 at 6:38 PM, cstojano said:

Movie adaptations were my entry point into comic OA, Conan in particular. I suspect there are a fair number of people coming from toy collecting and other 3D collecting pop culture areas into the hobby. I have no real interest in superhero art but have come to appreciate the artists. So for people interested in comic art and Kirby, the 2001 book is a nice sweet spot. Logan's Run, Island of Doctor Moreau, Star Wars, ESB, ROTJ, Blade Runner, 3 Indy films, both Conan films, etc. I sold most of this to fund a Warhammer art addiction, where I found I could still buy the art from the artist's hands, but still have 3 Blade Runner pages, including the recently acquired dps by Williamson. Wish I had stretched for the BR2 cover when HA had it, wish I had been involved when CL auctioned the Buscema Conan 1 cover (pre Arnold sig), wish I had stretched last year on the Hake's SW try-outs by Williamson...there's a pattern here :) 

That said, no way I'd be into the Treasury 2001 at these prices. Later run pages could be had in the 3-4k range recently though no idea if that is still the case. I think the weird, cosmic, metaphysical pages are the sweet spot more so than multi-paneled talking men pages.

I just literally, last week, picked up a page of Space:1999 art from their oversized magazine by Gray Morrow. That IP has been dormant for 50 years. I mean, the very name points out how long it's been since it was adapted. 

On 3/13/2024 at 2:01 PM, grapeape said:

I'm a collector that saw the #1 pages offered $2-4k Sorry if it's tiring to hear that. It just blows me away. I would say the IM centered page collected a pretty Penny here. No such thing as over paid anymore. Unless, you're one of the numerous speculators that have bought at auction last four years than bring a page back too fast to auction again.

The price, though staggering, "feels" in line with perceived battle.

🍇 + 🦍 

The Secret Wars 8 page will not recoup its auction value for 30 years.

On 3/18/2024 at 5:26 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I just literally, last week, picked up a page of Space:1999 art from their oversized magazine by Gray Morrow. That IP has been dormant for 50 years. I mean, the very name points out how long it's been since it was adapted. 

One of my very earliest memories was playing on the sidewalk with the neighbor's Space 1999 space ship and him mentioning this new movie called Star Wars. I was 3-4 at the time. 

On 3/18/2024 at 10:34 AM, cstojano said:

One of my very earliest memories was playing on the sidewalk with the neighbor's Space 1999 space ship and him mentioning this new movie called Star Wars. I was 3-4 at the time. 

The summer of '77, my family took a month-long vacation, which included loading up our station wagon and driving out to the West Coast. Along with stops at the Grand Canyon and Denver, we went to Los Angles. I brought along (and purchased on the way) comic books, and sci-fic and movie magazines like Starlog, all of which had a lot of coverage about the new Star Wars film. I begged my father to go see it, but I did not get to until I got back from the trip because the lines in LA to see the film were blocks long. 

On 3/17/2024 at 12:20 PM, grapeape said:

Strange Tales Annual 2 page featuring 8 Human torches and 3 Spideys. $70150 price includes the 15% juice. 
IMG_5829.jpeg.30f0df9790eb3060cdcfdc54dfe72445.jpeg

As mentioned before, not the best of Spidey examples from this issue, more of a torch page, but still surprisingly low imho. I would've thought this still would've got closer to the 100k mark, at least 80-90k range. I wonder if the Sunday auction for this hurt it, as I know spoke to a couple collectors that completely forgot this lot and others were on a Sunday and not a Monday as usual. Again tough to say, but at this level, I'm pretty sure we'll see this up for resale at a con or dealer site with a fairly sizable markup to the six figure range.