• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Kirby art results
3 3

125 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2024 at 12:08 PM, J.Sid said:

I have often wondered why Kirby Avengers pages were so "low."

Between the great character content, the surge of Avengers popularity, and the scarcity of issues he penciled (8, compared with 100 FF books for example) I always felt these should cost more.

Without looking up comps, I had the sense they were actually doing pretty well.    I seem to remember some pages in the 40k range at initial auction and remember some in the 150-200 range more recently?     Its pretty good money.     However, there's no first character appearance here either.

On 3/14/2024 at 12:15 PM, Rob Frey said:

especially when we will probably never see any art from Avengers 4 for sale which makes it only 7 kirby penciled issues and limits the pool further.

Are those known to exist?

On 3/14/2024 at 11:08 AM, J.Sid said:

I have often wondered why Kirby Avengers pages were so "low."

Between the great character content, the surge of Avengers popularity, and the scarcity of issues he penciled (8, compared with 100 FF books for example) I always felt these should cost more.

well, I think you have to take into account that nothing in Avengers 1-8 drawn by Kirby is a first appearance. All the principle characters' first appearances occurred elsewhere and were...ahem..assembled. FF was all new, X-Men- all new. 

On 3/14/2024 at 2:47 AM, drdroom said:

OK, that's interesting. What niggles me though, is 2001 is an important FILM property, created by Clarke and Kubrick. The much later comic adaptation? That seems kind of trivial (much as I like the series). Kamandi is much less known of course, but it's Kirby's own creation. So I'm still puzzled, but the market has spoken. Shoulda bought a bunch of those caveman pages back when the getting was good! 

I don't think the Caveman stuff would necessarily be desirable. I think Monolith, or cosmic or space stuff is where to put your money.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:39 AM, Bronty said:

Yeah, its a funny thing.     The flip side of the 'price is where supply meets demand' equation is that none of it has to make sense.    Nowhere in that equation is logic.   If they want to pay for the comic pages of film properties then as you say the market speaks, whether it makes sense or not.

Kirby's 2001 film adaptation is renowned as some of his best work. And it has a wider cultural footprint than comic books. I mean, how valuable are the pages of the Star Wars film adaption comic books? I suspect they are much, much more valuable due to Star Wars' cultural impact than the 2001 pages are. How much would you pay for an Al Williamson "Blade Runner" page? 

On 3/14/2024 at 6:47 AM, drdroom said:

OK, that's interesting. What niggles me though, is 2001 is an important FILM property, created by Clarke and Kubrick. The much later comic adaptation? That seems kind of trivial (much as I like the series). Kamandi is much less known of course, but it's Kirby's own creation. So I'm still puzzled, but the market has spoken. Shoulda bought a bunch of those caveman pages back when the getting was good! 

Pages from the MCG adaptation of Blade Runner seem to do pretty well. 

I own about 45% of the DC adaptation of Harlan Ellison's teleplay for The Outer Limits episode, 'Demon With a Glass Hand' and would welcome new additions!

2001 was an iconic movie . . . and Kirby an iconic artist . . . and he expanded beyond his movie adaptation with a series of books that morphed into Machine Man.

How about Star Wars, which turned into a long-running book? 

Planet of the Apes magazine . . . which spawned new stories?

You get the picture (no pun intended, lol!)?

To be fair, MCG produced a lot of cr@p movie adaptations . . . but in-between the dreary stuff, some were pretty good.

Edited by The Voord

On 3/14/2024 at 1:09 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Warner Bros recently filed a suit that they own Machine Man from Marvel because he was developed during Kirby's adaptation of 2001, and WB own's that now. So there's that. 

Wow, that's interesting. I couldn't find any info about that - do you have a link? I have repeatedly heard about attempts to collect Kirby's 2001 work in a hardcover - stymied over and over again by the bonkers rights issues.

On 3/14/2024 at 8:19 PM, glendgold said:

Wow, that's interesting. I couldn't find any info about that - do you have a link? I have repeatedly heard about attempts to collect Kirby's 2001 work in a hardcover - stymied over and over again by the bonkers rights issues.

Here you go Glen!

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-comics-have-told-marvel-that-they-own-machine-man/

On 3/14/2024 at 6:39 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

This is a truly a wacky turn of events. DC should immediately start publishing a Machine Man comic in the style of Weisinger-era Superman comics. Just to mess with Marvel.

Edited by drdroom
vulgarity drop out

On 3/14/2024 at 7:37 PM, drdroom said:

This is a truly a wacky turn of events. DC should immediately start publishing a Machine Man comic in the style of Weisinger-era Superman comics. Just to mess with Marvel.

I mean actually this is genius. Machine Boy! Machine Girl! Bolty, the Machine Dog! 

On 3/14/2024 at 4:17 PM, The Voord said:

Pages from the MCG adaptation of Blade Runner seem to do pretty well. 

I own about 45% of the DC adaptation of Harlan Ellison's teleplay for The Outer Limits episode, 'Demon With a Glass Hand' and would welcome new additions!

2001 was an iconic movie . . . and Kirby an iconic artist . . . and he expanded beyond his movie adaptation with a series of books that morphed into Machine Man.

How about Star Wars, which turned into a long-running book? 

Planet of the Apes magazine . . . which spawned new stories?

You get the picture (no pun intended, lol!)?

To be fair, MCG produced a lot of cr@p movie adaptations . . . but in-between the dreary stuff, some were pretty good.

Movie adaptations were my entry point into comic OA, Conan in particular. I suspect there are a fair number of people coming from toy collecting and other 3D collecting pop culture areas into the hobby. I have no real interest in superhero art but have come to appreciate the artists. So for people interested in comic art and Kirby, the 2001 book is a nice sweet spot. Logan's Run, Island of Doctor Moreau, Star Wars, ESB, ROTJ, Blade Runner, 3 Indy films, both Conan films, etc. I sold most of this to fund a Warhammer art addiction, where I found I could still buy the art from the artist's hands, but still have 3 Blade Runner pages, including the recently acquired dps by Williamson. Wish I had stretched for the BR2 cover when HA had it, wish I had been involved when CL auctioned the Buscema Conan 1 cover (pre Arnold sig), wish I had stretched last year on the Hake's SW try-outs by Williamson...there's a pattern here :) 

That said, no way I'd be into the Treasury 2001 at these prices. Later run pages could be had in the 3-4k range recently though no idea if that is still the case. I think the weird, cosmic, metaphysical pages are the sweet spot more so than multi-paneled talking men pages.

On 3/16/2024 at 10:38 PM, cstojano said:

Movie adaptations were my entry point into comic OA, Conan in particular. I suspect there are a fair number of people coming from toy collecting and other 3D collecting pop culture areas into the hobby. I have no real interest in superhero art but have come to appreciate the artists. So for people interested in comic art and Kirby, the 2001 book is a nice sweet spot. Logan's Run, Island of Doctor Moreau, Star Wars, ESB, ROTJ, Blade Runner, 3 Indy films, both Conan films, etc. I sold most of this to fund a Warhammer art addiction, where I found I could still buy the art from the artist's hands, but still have 3 Blade Runner pages, including the recently acquired dps by Williamson. Wish I had stretched for the BR2 cover when HA had it, wish I had been involved when CL auctioned the Buscema Conan 1 cover (pre Arnold sig), wish I had stretched last year on the Hake's SW try-outs by Williamson...there's a pattern here :) 

That said, no way I'd be into the Treasury 2001 at these prices. Later run pages could be had in the 3-4k range recently though no idea if that is still the case. I think the weird, cosmic, metaphysical pages are the sweet spot more so than multi-paneled talking men pages.

Blade Runner was an amazing movie adaptation for Marvel.  Some of the location filming for the movie  took place in downtown Los Angeles's historic Bradbury Building . . . same as (earlier) the 1964 OUTER LIMITS teleplay for 'Demon With a Glass Hand'.  I've visited the Bradbury maybe half-a-dozen times from trips to LA from the UK.  I think the Internal Affairs division of LAPD occupy most of the upper floors.  Visitors are certainly allowed free access to the ground floor . . . where the following plaque is on display:

31680975_10156345794504596_5602495279526838272_n.jpg

On 3/16/2024 at 4:13 PM, The Voord said:

Blade Runner was an amazing movie adaptation for Marvel.  Some of the location filming for the movie  took place in downtown Los Angeles's historic Bradbury Building . . . same as (earlier) the 1964 OUTER LIMITS teleplay for 'Demon With a Glass Hand'.  I've visited the Bradbury maybe half-a-dozen times from trips to LA from the UK.  I think the Internal Affairs division of LAPD occupy most of the upper floors.  Visitors are certainly allowed free access to the ground floor . . . where the following plaque is on display:

31680975_10156345794504596_5602495279526838272_n.jpg

Williamson put an amazing effort forward for the work he did on BR, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Buscema on Conan and ROTLA on the other hand...

On 3/12/2024 at 9:53 AM, drdroom said:

Seriously? You hate the Fourth World that much? I mean, I'm glad, I wish everyone did so I could have it all, but those DPS's are pinnacles of Kirby's career.

+1

On 3/16/2024 at 4:38 PM, cstojano said:

That Blade Runner cover showed up on ebay in 2000/2001.  I was going to place a last-second bid on it, but my dial up internet connection failed me.  Closing price was $400.