• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Kirby art results
3 3

125 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2024 at 7:26 PM, drdroom said:

I was presenting this as a ridiculous no-brainer: panel page with no one on it vs DPS featuring title character at lower price!? But maybe I'm missing something. The 2001 page has Kirby's variation on the famous bone-to-spacecraft cut--does that seem valuable?  I'm just really trying to understand this result ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Ah, right, my bad, lol!  :tonofbricks:

If it had been the 2001 page vs a Fourth World DPD, I'd have gone for the former!

On 3/12/2024 at 1:12 AM, The Voord said:

Ah, right, my bad, lol!  :tonofbricks:

If it had been the 2001 page vs a Fourth World DPD, I'd have gone for the former!

Seriously? You hate the Fourth World that much? I mean, I'm glad, I wish everyone did so I could have it all, but those DPS's are pinnacles of Kirby's career.

On 3/12/2024 at 4:53 PM, drdroom said:

Seriously? You hate the Fourth World that much? I mean, I'm glad, I wish everyone did so I could have it all, but those DPS's are pinnacles of Kirby's career.

Hate?  That's a strong word . . . that I didn't use.  Don't hate it, no, just didn't care much for it . . . and I'm a Kirby fan

On 3/12/2024 at 11:00 AM, The Voord said:

Hate?  That's a strong word . . . that I didn't use.  Don't hate it, no, just didn't care much for it . . . and I'm a Kirby fan

You didn't use the word, but, I mean, saying you'd pick a 4-panel 2001 page over, for example, this...?

new-gods-7-double-page-splash.jpeg

On 3/11/2024 at 1:00 PM, Latverian Tourism Board said:

My guess is that it’s a fresh to market situation. That DPS was on a dealers site for quite a while at a much higher price (a little more than double its sale price). I was present at a couple conventions where I happened to notice that it was shown (shopped?) to a couple  other dealers, too. Maybe that got them to not bid, making the market lighter? Just guesses, but I think those put downward pressure on that piece. I’ve noticed a couple other dealer pages that had similar prices and discussions, so maybe that’s a thing? 

That makes sense (and I've been following that page around too), but I really thought the price was around where I expected. Kamandi pages are plentiful and he doesn't wear spandex, so there's an inherent limit on the price of those pages, no matter how good. For me, that DPS is exquisite, but I've also known collectors to not like it at all. 

It's the upward pressure on the 2001 page that puzzles me.

On 3/12/2024 at 8:48 PM, drdroom said:

You didn't use the word, but, I mean, saying you'd pick a 4-panel 2001 page over, for example, this...?

new-gods-7-double-page-splash.jpeg

Yeah, it's an impressive DPS, as a piece of art, but as I could never get into the 4th World books, I have no emotional attachment to the drawing.  As a collector, and I imagine it would apply to others, I prefer the (successful) marriage of art and story complementing one another to hit my sweet spot.

Seems to bother you more than it bothers me, Aaron?  If you liked those books and collect the OA . . . hey, good on you.  May the OA god look down  favorably on you and magic more pages your way!

Edited by The Voord

On 3/12/2024 at 5:04 PM, drdroom said:

It's the upward pressure on the 2001 page that puzzles me.

Shot in the dark, but…someone stockpiling for the day the rights go to public domain? (shrug) It’s a licensed property, not a Marvel original. 
Now, what the underlying Star would be, I have no clue. I doubt a reprinting would be worth the cost of assembling.

On 3/12/2024 at 10:28 PM, drdroom said:

Thanks, you too! And for anyone else reading, Voord is 100% right. Fourth World pages are quite unnecessary. BE LIKE VOORD.

Can't speak for others, wouldn't want to speak for others. Fourth World pages are unnecessary . . . for me.

Edited by The Voord

On 3/10/2024 at 2:06 PM, drdroom said:

Which Kirby deal would you choose? Left: 18,750. on Heritage. Right: 16,250. on Comiclink.ScreenShot2024-03-10at10_59_37AM.thumb.png.1a90314c3d8011d2badb805dbcaee6dd.png

2001 is a far more important property and page. I'm not sure Kamandi is, although there are a few diehard fans of it.

On 3/11/2024 at 3:26 PM, drdroom said:

I was presenting this as a ridiculous no-brainer: panel page with no one on it vs DPS featuring title character at lower price!? But maybe I'm missing something. The 2001 page has Kirby's variation on the famous bone-to-spacecraft cut--does that seem valuable?  I'm just really trying to understand this result ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

This is after the recent Kirby 2001 page where Bowman is deactivating HAL that got a really good result. Kirby's 2001 stuff related to the film is pretty desirable.

On 3/11/2024 at 6:01 PM, glendgold said:

If you look at HA results, it seems like someone is interested in 2001 Treasury and #1 pages. Prices have been pretty high on those two books, not consistently but enough to notice.

I certainly was. I wanted to bid on the previous page where Bowman is deactivating HAL, but it went way over my budget.

On 3/12/2024 at 12:29 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

What do you think about the Avengers 1 page that went for 110K on clink?

On target, low or high?

image.thumb.jpeg.2bd724eceeff954348cd07f6dd97993d.jpeg

I'm a collector that saw the #1 pages offered $2-4k Sorry if it's tiring to hear that. It just blows me away. I would say the IM centered page collected a pretty Penny here. No such thing as over paid anymore. Unless, you're one of the numerous speculators that have bought at auction last four years than bring a page back too fast to auction again.

The price, though staggering, "feels" in line with perceived battle.

🍇 + 🦍 

Edited by grapeape

On 3/12/2024 at 9:29 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

On target, low or high?

In most collectors thoughts I spoke to leading up to the auction's estimate was $100k give or take so landed just about right. If it went far below $100k that would be somewhat surprising. I could see if 2 collectors really valued Iron Man and the FF on it to take it a few more bids to $125k, but I personally never saw this as a $150k range page. Now if this had Thor and the team battling Loki then you're talking about floor $150k-200k, perhaps more.

FYI- Some of us don't value this issue as many might think. i.e. Though a key issue and first Avengers, I'd rather have earlier individual character example pages vs 1st team example, which came later down the line. But again, I think this number was right.

the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th panels are great.    To your point though as basically an Iron Man page, you'd rather have a TOS 39 page for sure.    The Teen Brigade is a big... whatever... and the last panel with the FF is always cool, but its just the one panel.   

As an Avengers page, you'd want more of the team present.   

I guess its about right as well.    Maybe one increment light IMO but that's splitting hairs.

On 3/13/2024 at 10:08 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

2001 is a far more important property and page. I'm not sure Kamandi is, although there are a few diehard fans of it.

OK, that's interesting. What niggles me though, is 2001 is an important FILM property, created by Clarke and Kubrick. The much later comic adaptation? That seems kind of trivial (much as I like the series). Kamandi is much less known of course, but it's Kirby's own creation. So I'm still puzzled, but the market has spoken. Shoulda bought a bunch of those caveman pages back when the getting was good! 

On 3/14/2024 at 2:47 AM, drdroom said:

OK, that's interesting. What niggles me though, is 2001 is an important FILM property, created by Clarke and Kubrick. The much later comic adaptation? That seems kind of trivial (much as I like the series). Kamandi is much less known of course, but it's Kirby's own creation. So I'm still puzzled, but the market has spoken. Shoulda bought a bunch of those caveman pages back when the getting was good! 

Yeah, its a funny thing.     The flip side of the 'price is where supply meets demand' equation is that none of it has to make sense.    Nowhere in that equation is logic.   If they want to pay for the comic pages of film properties then as you say the market speaks, whether it makes sense or not.

On 3/12/2024 at 12:29 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

On target, low or high?

I have often wondered why Kirby Avengers pages were so "low."

Between the great character content, the surge of Avengers popularity, and the scarcity of issues he penciled (8, compared with 100 FF books for example) I always felt these should cost more.