• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series comics shouldn't be in competition against non Signature Series for rankings.
2 2

13 posts in this topic

It angers me that SS comics are qualified for the same slots as non-SS 

What if we don't want to get them signed? What if we want them pristine?

It's unfair that they are in competition for the same ranking and awards. 

Especially when literally ANY signature(s) on it gives it a higher point value. 

I mean I could sign it in front of a grader and it would have the same point value as a signature from Stan Lee, this is a fundamental flaw in the ranking and scoring system. 

There should be separate awards and ranks forSignature Series   

Edited by Evil Jin
spelling

They should start a separate set for SS books. They seem to have no problem with creating separate sets for true variants in the Rebirth set for newsstands which because of the difference in price on the cover makes it a true variant but because of one person they created a separate set for the newsstands. So why not create separate sets for all of the SS books too. It is only fair and let the sig guys battle that set out for themselves. The majority of collectors get a few sigs. I hope we hear from the moderator on this. He allowed one person to sway his judgement in the wrong direction so I would like to hear his thoughts on this. 

• Administrator

Quite importantly, the observation is made in this thread that many people complete a set and might have a few Signature Series books in it. This exists frequently on the Registry across many sets. It would be unfair to force those individuals to compete in a Signature Series set. 

Where they compete in the same award categories, Universal label and Signature Series sets have the same chance of winning if both are well-presented and of equal quality/completion ratios. If one was presented with great images and write-up's and the other wasn't, the judges would go with the set that was better presented. 

This situation is also somewhat akin to a hypothetical scenario of a well-presented, higher grade Modern set with a couple of 9.9's or 10's, but sits at 50% complete. The points would likely push that set to a top rank, but it would never win against a 100% complete, higher grade set with a terrific presentation. I don't think anyone would argue against that. The same well-presented 50% complete set could also potentially beat out a complete, but lower grade set lacking images/presentation. I don't think anyone would make the argument against that win either. 

Much more nuance goes into the judging during the Awards than a cut and dry, points-only system. I've had many conversations with Registry members about the importance of images, presentation, and completeness in their sets, and I cannot stress enough just how important these factors are.

On 1/8/2024 at 4:36 PM, jstam said:

Quite importantly, the observation is made in this thread that many people complete a set and might have a few Signature Series books in it. This exists frequently on the Registry across many sets. It would be unfair to force those individuals to compete in a Signature Series set. 

Where they compete in the same award categories, Universal label and Signature Series sets have the same chance of winning if both are well-presented and of equal quality/completion ratios. If one was presented with great images and write-up's and the other wasn't, the judges would go with the set that was better presented. 

This situation is also somewhat akin to a hypothetical scenario of a well-presented, higher grade Modern set with a couple of 9.9's or 10's, but sits at 50% complete. The points would likely push that set to a top rank, but it would never win against a 100% complete, higher grade set with a terrific presentation. I don't think anyone would argue against that. The same well-presented 50% complete set could also potentially beat out a complete, but lower grade set lacking images/presentation. I don't think anyone would make the argument against that win either. 

Much more nuance goes into the judging during the Awards than a cut and dry, points-only system. I've had many conversations with Registry members about the importance of images, presentation, and completeness in their sets, and I cannot stress enough just how important these factors are.

Following up on this with a related question. My Thor Simonson run has been chopped up in recent weeks. A Canadian edition was eliminated from the set due to creation of the new "foreign" category. I get that, but today I'm seeing several of my books with remarques / signatures demoted by 3 points with my descriptions (that I busted my butt on) erased. Can you please clarify? Thank you. 

• Administrator

@Thorseface To my knowledge there has not been any change in programming for the points system. I will take a look at your set and raise the issue with the developers to look into.

No. Signature series should not have their own sets, that only serves to fragment existing collections, add needless complexity overall, and also possibly allow people to double dip (I can buy a 9.8, crack it and keep the label, get it signed and regraded, then use these label numbers for a single book in two separate sets)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 2/23/2024 at 10:02 AM, Sauce Dog said:

No. Signature series should not have their own sets, that only serves to fragment existing collections, add needless complexity overall, and also possibly allow people to double dip (I can buy a 9.8, crack it and keep the label, get it signed and regraded, then use these label numbers for a single book in two separate sets)

If skeezers wanna cheat on the registry they already can.  If I were so inclined, I'd just use the serial numbers from feebay listings of a series and punch them in.  CGC cannot verify whether I own the book or not.

In my opinion, the changes that are happening now are fragmenting existing collections.

On 2/24/2024 at 2:06 PM, Yorick said:

If I were so inclined, I'd just use the serial numbers from feebay listings of a series and punch them in.  CGC cannot verify whether I own the book or not.

This is why I take all my own pics with my books on the same table, leaning against the wall.  Never want anyone to have doubts.

Used to drive me nuts (still kinda does) when people supposedly have all these books but don’t care enough to add pictures to their sets!  This possible cheat was made a bit easier once CGC started scanning all books.