• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2023 at 7:41 AM, Mdesimone said:

Asm 129

IMG_5692.jpeg

Some nice closeups of the front and rear, in good lighting would really help identify some of the smaller defects and may make it easier to tell if the book is properly graded. 

On 12/23/2023 at 11:31 AM, mephistopheles said:

Thanks! Can I ask roughly when in 2019 you bought it? I want to compare it to sales of purples and greens around that time. The angle of the miscut at the top should be easy to match up. Hopefully nothing matches, but we still can't rule out a switcheroo completely as he could have bought a qualified/restored at a con.

December 2019, yea that’s my concern since it appears to be reholdered and in his description stated it was never pressed

On 12/23/2023 at 8:36 AM, VintageComics said:

Some nice closeups of the front and rear, in good lighting would really help identify some of the smaller defects and may make it easier to tell if the book is properly graded. 

The fraying near the staples and the corners indicates it wasn't. 

On 12/23/2023 at 10:11 AM, drotto said:

Batman 181 seems like a prime candidate for this scam, with the missing pinup leading to qualified grades. 

Feel less comforted now?  :baiting:

Still gonna sleep ok.  I shy away from so-called "keys" with ugly covers that are lacking in artistic effort and imagination.  

On 12/23/2023 at 10:23 AM, trademarkcomics said:

I feel this is still localized within the CGC fan community and spreading slightly elsewhere. Casual collectors(which still make up the bulk of potential CGC customers) are completely unaware of this situation. Until it hits the media, it's not going to have any measurable impact. Google "CGC" then hit the news tab and all that comes up is a publicly traded pot company. :peace:

cgcgoogle.thumb.png.5a7ce4cefb2157119bbb144bf92cf8f5.png

Not that it matters. No one is buying slabs from me these days anyway. :(

On 12/23/2023 at 11:34 AM, Nick Furious said:

I'll take the under.  For both a statement and a thread lock.  

Thread lock or removal (take screen caps folks) will give the whole thing credence, speaking louder than any statement. Right now this thread serves as a safety valve for CGC. 

It would actually be great thing if lock occurred. Someone here with the right contacts and skills might get annoyed enough to bring this in proper fashion to a "real" media outlet. From there it could snowball..?

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/23/2023 at 11:34 AM, CJ Design said:

This is crazy...so to interject more questionable issues...because I've been burned on Raws...FF 2,3,4,11,15, 33 DD 5, 7 ASM 3, 20, 21, 23 Avengers 2 TTA 62 TOS 55 and many others Have Pinups

Ask for pics and go thru your book it’s that simple 😂

On 12/23/2023 at 8:38 AM, skybolt said:

Not that it matters. No one is buying slabs from me these days anyway. :(

I have to give them away at auction. I recently sold a Romita signed ASM 121 8.0 verified by that other company for less than what an unsigned CGC 8.0 is currently priced at on the bay. 

bang-head-love-actually-film-christmas-8lo6vapejryg7nua.gif.5cddb8a5d3101c044100d787700b83e5.gif

Edited by trademarkcomics
Forgot the issue

On 12/23/2023 at 10:48 AM, VintageComics said:

If you want me to stop posting in this thread, I'm more than happy to. 

I don't need to be here reading 90 pages and trying to help. I'd much rather be doing something else. 

You could go start a 3rd AI thread...

On 12/23/2023 at 11:28 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I've intercepted a transcript of your messaging:

Roy: "Waaagh!"

CGC Mike: "Would you f*** off!"

Roy: "But, waaagh!"

CGC Mike: "Look, just f*** off will you!"

Roy: "But WAAAAAGH!"

CGC Mike: "F*** OFF!"

While funny and deserving of hard earned condign punishment at times, the inevitable swirl has begun. Please wash your hands when finished. 
image.gif.8f2e5388f93c622db50e1a3706d4655a.gif