• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2023 at 8:39 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Definitely Stock In Trade.  Common error.

Like the one a few pages back referring to artwork "providence".  It is provenance, a documented or oral history, or lineage. 

Providence means good fortune.

On 12/23/2023 at 10:53 AM, Bo1983 said:

There’s 9 billion people on earth it could be thousands out there!

On 12/23/2023 at 10:37 PM, Steven Valdez said:

Good lord... that means humans outnumber rats.

"There are an estimated 7 billion rats in the world." A-Z animals

Getting harder to tell them apart.

Actually, just over 8 billion humans on the planet.  I wonder what year it was that we overtook the rat count.  Certainly they must have had the lead for a long time.

On 12/23/2023 at 11:01 AM, VintageComics said:

People who are saying AI can grade comics accurately, efficiency and in a cost effective manner anytime soon just don't understand complex systems, or how the entire system would work and the complexity involved. It is off the charts, making it unrealistic any time soon. It's not impossible, It's just not happening anytime soon. 

On 12/23/2023 at 10:41 PM, Steven Valdez said:

We get it, everyone is more stupid than you. Only you have vision and insight.

I thought we got rid of this subject a while back and sent it to another thread (that got locked).

On 12/23/2023 at 9:53 PM, Lightning55 said:

I thought we got rid of this subject a while back and sent it to another thread (that got locked).

It got unlocked 

On 12/23/2023 at 11:01 PM, VintageComics said:

People who are saying AI can grade comics accurately, efficiency and in a cost effective manner anytime soon just don't understand complex systems, or how the entire system would work and the complexity involved. It is off the charts, making it unrealistic any time soon. It's not impossible, It's just not happening anytime soon. 

Just because someone doesn't understand it, doesn't mean it can't happen. Most people have no idea how automatic doors open at 7-11, but they walk through them all day long.

On 12/23/2023 at 10:38 PM, drotto said:

I think the swapped books fraud is actually far easier to execute, lower skill, and given the loophole is easier than trying to marry pages.  He has found a method that works well.  i see no reason he would try something different.

Another thing.  The swap give him two (maybe more) high grade books to sell.  With they Marry pages there is one good book, and one sacrificial or low grade qualified book.  Far more money in the swap method.

On 12/24/2023 at 2:50 PM, Lightning55 said:

Getting harder to tell them apart.

Actually, just over 8 billion humans on the planet.  I wonder what year it was that we overtook the rat count.  Certainly they must have had the lead for a long time.

Maybe one day they'll be using us in lab experiments.

On 12/24/2023 at 4:51 AM, ThothAmon said:

Now I just went to public grade schools so maybe the education you received (at say Upper Canada College) was more advanced but I’m pretty sure saying someone stated something out of ignorance is exactly the same thing as calling them ignorant. What am I missing?

You're 100% right, sir. Words and concepts have specific meanings for a reason. Perhaps our "moderator" needs to be moderated.

On 12/23/2023 at 11:53 PM, Steven Valdez said:

I suggested they put hologram stickers on all 4 edges but the moderator said that would be a 'waste of time'. I still wonder why he would say such a thing.

I don't believe a "moderator" has made single comment in this thread to date. At least no official CGC moderator has. Might have been some self-appointed moderator. I must have skipped a page.

On 12/24/2023 at 4:09 PM, Lightning55 said:

I don't believe a "moderator" has made single comment in this thread to date. At least no official CGC moderator has. Might have been some self-appointed moderator. I must have skipped a page.

Yes, I was referring to the self-appointed moderator.

On 12/23/2023 at 1:08 AM, drotto said:

Until someone with deep pockets and 100k's worth of books takes them to court. You advertise as a grading expert that certifies books and condition, the law will treat you as an expert. 

I could also see a lawer bring a class action suit on the same basis.  This is the US, people love to sue, and we have lots of layers looking for work.

I can see tables of grading experts called as witnesses to argue over books in court.  Could be very entertaining.

The problem with a class action lawsuit is that you have to prove that the plaintiffs sufferred a loss. And as far as I know, CGC always comes through in making people whole monetarily. I had a terrible experience with CGC where they switched my book with a lower grade one. I was compensated by receiving more than the estimated market value of my original book and could now simply obtain a slab of the book I sent if I chose to do so. As a collector who has a personal attachment to his books, I still simply wanted my book back, and I will not send in more books unless when I choose to part from them (and have the auction house do that for me). But in terms of a legal case, I was made whole financially speaking, I experienced no financial loss. And any anguish I had didn't result in any therapy bills. And as for the book in question, if the person doesn't feel it's a 9.8, and can return it to get their money back, then they are not at a loss either. 

As for the comments on it being a credible company, all I meant to say is that due to ample past examples, and the fact that our comics are encapsulated, none of us can be 100% certain that what we own is truly as is stated when purchasing a slabbed comic(ie: unrestored, pinups included, all pages included, no married pages, ect) . BUT if we keep it slabbed, then we pass that uncertainty over to the next buyer when that day comes. If the general consensus is that CGC is the best in the business (which is the current case), then my individual beliefs on it not being credible don't really matter. And nothing stops one from partaking in the slab market without believing in it.

My initial comments were simply based on the pearl clutching I was seeing here as if we haven't had plenty of past issues. There were some pretty crazy hyperboles being thrown around.

Edited by William-James88

On 12/24/2023 at 11:53 AM, Steven Valdez said:

I suggested they put hologram stickers on all 4 edges but the moderator said that would be a 'waste of time'. I still wonder why he would say such a thing.

It could be done in QC. At least that way we'd know someone actually picked the book up and looked at it.

Edited by Prince Namor