• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2023 at 11:37 AM, Steven Valdez said:

From now on, I'll only be buying single pages in slabs. At least you can see both sides.

Make sure to check that the illustration is not someone's 5-year old kid retracing the panels. CGC will not offer that service for you.

On 12/27/2023 at 12:46 PM, agamoto said:

I dont know, they seem to be very good at stubbing their doinks inches from the endzone every single time they gain possession on a turnover. 

Who's keeping tabs on them though in reality? Sometimes not being #1 in grading might be a good thing. Not saying anything is amiss over there but I don't know too many people that will shell out unreasonable money on the competition books. I'm sure there are some though.

On 12/27/2023 at 10:05 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I doubt the scammer is using glue to seal the wells back together.   CGC has to be able to open these things to reholder them.

you have never seen an employee crack a slab? they don't inspect it, they pop it out like it was bubble gum (with little regard to the comic)

On 12/27/2023 at 9:49 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Joke as we may (and I do) but I don't see CGC recovering from this. They're done.

Too many powerful players with too much money tied to the value of their encased books. I don't think they're done, but it sure as heck better at least level the playing field on resale value. Honestly, how is this any worse than CBCS losing a couple hundred submissions and grading from home or PGX and all their catalog of goof-ups?

On 12/27/2023 at 9:51 AM, jsilverjanet said:

you have never seen an employee crack a slab? they don't inspect it, they pop it out like it was bubble gum (with little regard to the comic)

True story... And it aint glue anyway. The xylene literally melts the polycarbonate back together again. 

On 12/27/2023 at 12:52 PM, BrashL said:

I don’t know how you can say that given what we know. For all we know all those 9.8s with 4 spine ticks people have been complaining about for years are all case switches. I think the books go into the thousands at the very least. 

Right but you would have to get your head examined if you bought a CGC 9.8 with 4 spine ticks in the first place.

From now on I suggest that everyone wear head cams when you walk into an LCS, so you can visually record picking up the book yourself, packaging it when you get home, filling out the CGC form, recording your restroom breaks in the process, and getting a pair of video recording binoculars so you can spy on CGC handling your book in Sarasota. Moving forward we'll need to provide this this type of video proof to sell books on eBay.

On 12/27/2023 at 9:52 AM, BrashL said:

I don’t know how you can say that given what we know. For all we know all those 9.8s with 4 spine ticks people have been complaining about for years are all case switches. I think the books go into the thousands at the very least. 

This... A million times this. It's now the most reasonable explanation for 9.8's that everyone objectively agrees aren't even close to a 9.8