• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2023 at 12:34 PM, MAR1979 said:

Photo images taken by CGC should be a preventative mechanism for swapping BUT they have only been adding them to public Certification's DB since this summer and with the near blinding brightness levels of the pics I feel they are essentially useless. Meaning the level of brightness obscures much detail and fine detail.

Just thought of something else too… now that images are in the DB with the cert, perhaps ALL images ever taken of a book should be retained there, instead of just the last.

For example, a book is graded and imaged. Later it is sent in for reholder/custom label/whatever and imaged again.  Instead of the new set of images overwriting the old, keep all historical images with the cert.  This may prevent this in a high percentage of books… the scammer would at least need a better exterior match, which may make the scam no longer profitable.  Buyers can judge for themselves if the book has had any funny business happen to it since first graded by comparing the chain of images each time CGC handled the book.

Can’t imagine this would cost CGC much either.

Edited by Iconic1s
Added buyer comment.

On 12/27/2023 at 2:21 PM, FlyingDonut said:

No they're not. This will go away, like every other CGC "scandal" over the last 25 years.

I agree CGC will come back.  They will make some changes to policies, and may add some tampering protections.  The current slab is also 6 or 7 years old, and is already Gen 3, so it could push a redesign.  That will not be fast, so do not count on it.

On 12/27/2023 at 11:05 AM, Heronext said:

Could you clarify whether the CGC fan page on Facebook is actually administered/moderated by them or just some fans?

Unknown. I can't remember the name of the main mod, but he bans anyone who says anything even slightly negative about CGC.

The group is called CGC Comic Fans. 

On 12/27/2023 at 2:49 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

Unknown. I can't remember the name of the main mod, but he bans anyone who says anything even slightly negative about CGC.

The group is called CGC Comic Fans. 

I disagree with the contention that no criticism of CGC is allowed on that FB site. You can't post Voldy books and you need to be civil in your interactions with others.